Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Click to magnify/shrink"

mondblut

Arcane
OK, what's up with this crap?

Some people, myself including, are used to browse the web with images turned off, and right-click on a specific image to load it when interested. Now, whenever I point at an image placeholder, some stupid javascript pops up some spinner40.gif offering to "magnify/shrink" all while conveniently obscuring said placeholder and preventing me from right-clicking on it. WTF? :x

mondblut

Arcane
OK, I put "*/phpBB/templates/rpgcodex/PopBox/scripts/PopBox.js" into blacklist and the fucking spinner image no longer bothers me. But you better make stuff like that optional for the users...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
mondblut said:
OK, what's up with this crap?
People have complained about large image widths ruining the size of pages so I've been playing with solutions (and it's been something that's annoyed me a few times with some overly large ones). Unfortunately I can't test every possible scenario myself so it's a matter of inflicting things on people and seeing who complains until I find something that's either acceptable to a reasonable amount of people or give up and pull it all out. At this stage, I've still got a few other things I want to try first.

mondblut said:
Some people, myself including, are used to browse the web with images turned off, and right-click on a specific image to load it when interested. Now, whenever I point at an image placeholder, some stupid javascript pops up some spinner40.gif offering to "magnify/shrink" all while conveniently obscuring said placeholder and preventing me from right-clicking on it. WTF? :x
That's actually pretty funny.

skyway said:
This shit even pop-ups on small (like 64x64) images - totally covering them.
Yeah, that's also a problem.

Anyway, my scenarios at the moment are:
  1. Remove the JavaScript and just keep the set maximum image widths. Causes problems with ITZ comic and Let's Play threads though (you have to right-click and view image and muck around to see them properly).
  2. Go back to my first option of simply replacing all embedded images (possibly only those that are over a certain width) with links automatically. That means no images at all and clicking if you want to see them. Again, issues re Let's Play and Comics, having to click and load all images etc...
  3. Work on the code so that instead of having to hover / click on the image to re-size, another link appears below which triggers the shrink / re-size. Hopefully that means people without images will still be able to right-click the image and view it, while those with images can simply click the link below it.
I'm mainly mucking around with all this because I want something similar for the new gallery code I'm building and I'm trying out possible solutions.

Threads I'm taking into consideration:

Is it at all possible to set a minimum size before the javascript activates? I know you can <a href="http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-98502.html">find the width/height of an image</a>, so it seems possible. I would think that'd be an ideal fix, since it wouldn't mess with images that don't stretch out the screen (probably assume a minimum resolution of 1024x768).

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but if I so much as mouse over the images they expand, despite the text that says I should have to actually click for this action to occur (using latest version of Firefox, perhaps its a setting Ive mucked up? Update: when I went to the PopBox! site it worked properly there...). Moving my pointer off of the image causes the image to size back down.

I like where this is headed though.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
bur6.jpg

Is there a way for those who don't want this annoying person to disable him?

MetalCraze

Arcane
No it will ruin Let's Plays and Warriors of Diversity.

ITS forums suck and don't have normal let's plays so it can be forgiven.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
This is so gay, now when i post annoying big ass screens, they are little and not annoying.

Great fucking job

MetalCraze

Arcane
DU can you make a script that automatically deletes the duplicates of the same image url between image tags when you hit post?
It surely won't stop spam but it will make it more annoying for the retards to post it.

Micmu

Magister
Hey how about an old-fashioned BANNING instead of wasting time installing and fiddling with plugins?

p.s.: this script does more damage than good because of the annoying mouse-over zoom.

Balor

Arcane
Also, install Opera and never suffer from that agaim. Without all this annoying javascripts.

After all, nobody was loudly complaining about that in the feedback forum, last I heard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom