Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Clockwork Empires teaser trailer released

oscar

Arcane
I dunno about all the Lovecraftian stuff. A random event or two perhaps but I hope it doesn't dominate.

Am interested, looks really nice. I just hope they won't make it too simplistic and popamole. Setting is awesome IMO. I'd like to know where do they get their inspiration from mechanics standpoint. Like are they inspired by Dwarf Fortress and want to build something fairly complex, or will this be simplistic next gen builder like those new games "inspired" by Dwarf Fortress but actually shit. Minecraft like etc. Dwarves...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Am interested, looks really nice. I just hope they won't make it too simplistic and popamole. Setting is awesome IMO. I'd like to know where do they get their inspiration from mechanics standpoint. Like are they inspired by Dwarf Fortress and want to build something fairly complex, or will this be simplistic next gen builder like those new games "inspired" by Dwarf Fortress but actually shit. Minecraft like etc. Dwarves...

I already mentioned it elsewhere but so far it seems they want to focus on what made DF FUN. The simulationism is in, the all kinds of things that can go wrong and fuck you over are in (cultists, elder god machinations, communist revolution), building large contraptions is in (it is steampunk after all), using close to real-world geology and biomes is in (yes, this has tetrahedrite and not generic "copper ore" like gnomoria).

Currently in my opinion, this is the most likely game to succeed at cloning and possibly improving the concept out of games aping DF. Gnomoria entered beta when gnomes are mindless automatons with only skills, individual names and sprites giving the illusion that they're not. Spacebase DF9 looks better and promising in some areas (it also tries to simulate colonists) but generic matter used for building everything, even if justified within the space opera setting, reeks of dumbing-down. Rimworld is a wild card, although quite promising in a few aspects. DwarfCorp could just be a 3D gnomoria with a corporate dwarf twist so nothing special. The rest like Towns are not worth mentioning. Well wait, there was one other game but it had minecraft-style faux-retro aesthetics and I don't have much faith in it if only because of that.

I already mentioned it elsewhere but so far it seems they want to focus on what made DF FUN. The simulationism is in, the all kinds of things that can go wrong and fuck you over are in (cultists, elder god machinations, communist revolution), building large contraptions is in (it is steampunk after all), using close to real-world geology and biomes is in (yes, this has tetrahedrite and not generic "copper ore" like gnomoria).

Currently in my opinion, this is the most likely game to succeed at cloning and possibly improving the concept out of games aping DF. Gnomoria entered beta when gnomes are mindless automatons with only skills, individual names and sprites giving the illusion that they're not. Spacebase DF9 looks better and promising in some areas (it also tries to simulate colonists) but generic matter used for building everything, even if justified within the space opera setting, reeks of dumbing-down. Rimworld is a wild card, although quite promising in a few aspects. DwarfCorp could just be a 3D gnomoria with a corporate dwarf twist so nothing special. The rest like Towns are not worth mentioning. Well wait, there was one other game but it had minecraft-style faux-retro aesthetics and I don't have much faith in it if only because of that.

:bounce:

Yeah, this seems the most promising to me too. I hope they won't fuck it up. Really cool setting IMO, and even the graphics seem awesome, some mix between cartoon (but not in a bad way) and realistic (mostly realistic). I only fear dumbing-down and simplification. I don't need it to be as complex as DF, but some complexity wouldn't hurt. But important thing is that it's fun. Can't wait for this, after I read the interview and informed myself more.

Great setting and idea, but the art looks really amateurish to me. /graphicswhore

Would you rather them use the art style from Dungeons of Dredmor? :troll:

This looks great. Like those old cartoons. A bit cartoony (fortunately not like WoW and other similar games), but "realistic" and it fits the style perfectly. The game will have humoristic elements, so I guess that's one of the reasons they didn't go full realistic graphics.

Hellraiser

Arcane
well that squid is right there on the flag, so i guess it will be kinda like the bad boss?

More or less, just a source of monsters to murder your colonists with (how do you kill a cosmic elder god you cannot comprehend?) or destroy it from the inside out with madness. Finding ancient ruins that man was not meant to rediscover in unexplored lands that you colonize is quite fitting for such a setting. Communism and possibly foreign powers (Novyrus and that German/Prussian ersatz IIRC) will be a more human source of invaders, as apparently you'll be able to trade or otherwise deal with them. Well except for the commies, they just want to share stuff and murder the bourgeois fat cat oppressors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom