Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Close Combat: The Bloody First

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main problem I have with Graviteam is that it lags so bad if you have any larger battles. It's a real shame. Made me stop playing it.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
So I finally got to play a bit of Bloody First. The overall impression I get from the game is that it's not as bad as I feared, but not as good as it should be. The AI, as others have pointed out, is not terribly smart. In fact, it is roughly on par with the AI in the older games, but we're talking over 20 years later so one would expect some improvement. The graphics are bland and not very pleasant, but at least the 3D map is useful and gives you a better idea of LOS than the old 2D maps (probably their weakest point). I also got a CTD almost as soon as I started playing, which is a major red flag for when it comes to the quality of the programming and playtesting.

I'll still play it, though, I'm that desperate for more CC.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
More impressions: morale feels very different from the originals, not necessarily in a bad way. I had a squad with decent morale get spooked from an artillery barrage and rout without having suffered any losses; disgraceful conduct for infantrymen to be sure, but such things as collective hallucinations do happen on the battlefield and it reminded me of the franchise's original mission, modelling troop psychology. That being said, routing soldiers start behaving all retarded and I've even seen them randomly run towards enemy troops and get gunned down instead of surrendering.

On an aside, it's been a while since I last played one of the US-themed CCs. Having the BAR as the closest thing to a squad automatic weapon is suffering, especially against enemies with an MG42 in every rifle squad :negative:

Edit: Italian voices are a nice surprise, combined with classic das Bluuuuut!

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Mediocre shit tanked on Steam like anything from Matrix. I would recommend to get GraviTeam Tactics, Ultimate General or even Scourge of War, they are all much better games than this.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the bloody first has a ton of bizarre bugs, but nothing game-breaking. still, if you want something like that has more content and is less buggy, armored brigade is good

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I mean, I dont want to sound like a dick but I played thousands of games and I have no hope for this

its linear, only some missions, no campaign
graphic is shit as you can see from the screenshots
AI is shit
the maps are tiny, you can run approximately 250m left or right before it ends
it looks cumbersome and boring to play if not downright annoying
etc

Ultimate General is slick, Graviteam and Scourge of War are not - but at least showing how it's done. this one is only a lame attempt to make a 3d CC, I see not 1 single point that it does as good as those games.

and thanks for the suggestion of Armored Brigade, still have to try this.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
It does have a campaign, with a decision tree after each mission. You can play a short campaign for each theater or play a grand campaign through all of them in sequence.

I agree though, it isn't really worth it.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
One major issue I've encountered with the new morale/battle fatigue system is that certain campaign scenarios can devolve into a wet noodle fight. There is one scenario in Africa that starts as a night battle with a relatively strong American company against an anemic Italian company. When playing the Italians it's quite viable to hold the American AI back, and if you do they usually resume the attack an hour later, and so on and so forth. Due to how the campaign mechanics work, supply and morale decline rapidly when combat is resumed without allowing the troops to rest and resupply, so you end up with a depleted, demoralized force with men who run at the first sign of trouble defending against a depleted, demoralized force with men who run at the first sign of trouble. I managed to drag the first scenario out for almost a day or two before I was finally overrun simply because both forces were too ineffective to inflict any major damage to each other. By the end all leaders on both sides were dead and I only had a couple of mortar squads left.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Okay so this just happened:

>Load up CC for the first time in two months
>Doorbell rings
>Foolishly thinking it pauses the game, I press ESC and go answer the door
>Spend some time doing other stuff
>When I go back I am concerned to hear shooting sounds, turns out the game wasn't paused
>My troops are almost intact and the enemy is at less than half morale

Turns out the AI can't even win in the absence of player input

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom