Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex, Codex on the wall is there any cRPG that...

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Nice to see that Realms of Arkania gets some love, can really recommend the series.

Gregz

Arcane
The closest to a 10/10 I've ever played was:

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 mod :salute:

Close runner-ups:

• V:TMB
    Wasteland
    Deus Ex
    System Shock 2
    Diablo II Median XL Mod
    Wizardy 8
    Might and Magic 7
If I wasn't limited by the 'pure' RPG restriction I'd have to mention:
  • Borderlands (sci-fi post-apocalyptic shooter w/ strong RPG elements)
    Mount & Blade: Warband (sandbox medieval warfare sim w/ RPG elements)
    X-Com (classic sci-fi TBS w/ RPG elements)
    Zangband (pure powerplayer roguelike w/ RPG elements)
    Far Cry (adventure shooter with no real RPG elements, but feels like an RPG)
    Jedi Knight Academy (guilty pleasure console-like saber/force action game w/ RPG elements)
    Sid Meier's Pirates! :M (guilty pleasure sandbox pirate sim w/ sparse RPG elements )

Gregz

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
Gregz said:
Borderlands
Far Cry (adventure shooter with no real RPG elements, but feels like an RPG)

you are a strange man

Yes, yes I am.

Far Cry...I dunno, the voice acting was good/funny at times, the story was pretty good, and the world felt like a sandbox in the many ways you could flank and use the environment. Also the weapons kept upgrading...yeah ok I'm on shaky ground here, fun game tho.

Borderlands, I have no shame here, fantastic awesome killer radical game that owns all and I can't wait for Borderlands II so much! :love:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You should specify with what you mean by 10/10. Some games do mechanics good, some do story, some do atmosphere, etc. Some do it all to a reasonable extent, but of course there is no perfect game, because some of these characteristics are mutually exclusive.

PST for the dialogues and writing, immersion and world and music
Bloodlines for atmosphere and voice acting and music
Arcanum for the amount of choices presented to the player and the setting and music
ToEE for the engine and the combat
Deus Ex for the world, possibilities of finishing quests and sound/music
Anachronox for the characters, dialogue, playability and humour
Daggerfall for being incredibly innovative, random 3d world, random quests, enormous questlines
Fallout for the world, style and gameplay and music
Betrayal at Krondor for the story and combat
Ultima 7 for the interactive living world
Lands of Lore for the graphics and exploration
Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 for the best squad based combat
X-COM for even better squad based combat
Wizardry 7 for the exploration
Wizardry 8 for the possibilities of party creation and exploration and silly setting
Baldur's Gate 2 for the graphics and sound and mage battles
ADOM for the mechanics
KotC for the superb combat system and mechanics
Nethack for the multitude of possibilities of detailed interaction of objects, places, characters, abilities, monsters etc and the humour
Stone Soup for the fast blazin fun
Diablo 1 for the atmosphere, music and fun of loot
Darklands for being an unusual sandbox
Wasteland for the gameplay/story and cool sprites
Chrono Trigger for the storytelling with C&C and being extremely playable and fun and awesome cavewoman
Albion for the cool graphics and gameplay

Oh and the best RPG is still Sid Meier's Covert Action

curry

Arcane
Since we are talking about games with RPG elements, too bad no one has mentioned the Legacy of Kain games which are pretty good for Action RPGs. I liked especially Defiance - it has nice puzzles, good graphics, interesting characters and of course the series has a pretty intriguing story going on.

Johannes

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor is probably the RPG experience that was most flawless for me, back when I played it as a kid.

But probably if I played it now, it would still be a good game but I'd find a million small design flaws to nag about that'd bring the experience down a notch.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats pretty much like the multiple other threads we have. We already had a "list of best rpgs" not so long ago. Theres quite a few deserving 10/10 and everyone knows them .To me : ultima 6-7-7 part 2 , ultima underworld, dagggerfall,morrowind, BG1+2 planescape,fallout 1-2, fallout new vegas,witcher2, gothic 2 , nwn2 mask of the betrayer, arcanum, wizardry 7-8, world of xeen , darklands, eye of the beholder, lands of lore 1-2 , dungeon master(the superior amiga version off course) , black crypt (amiga power!)those in any order, the titles mentioned before are valid as well i am quite fond of xcom too. Theres not many new titles in my list only nwn2, witcher 2 and new vegas these last few years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom