Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Downtime, Reasons

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Saint doesn't seem to be around so, some facts before speculation starts:

Yesterday both DAC and RPG Codex that I host were targeted by yet another attack on phpBB (an exploit in it, for lack for a better word), which sent the server load so high in seconds that the server became non-responsive, so the only thing I could do at that point was to shut both sites down. Later a discussion about it started on the official phpBB forums, and apparently many sites suffered from these attacks at the same time. The attacks have stopped now, so everything is back to normal... until the next phpBB exploit. :roll:

Reklar

Liturgist
Any word from the developers of phpBB on fixing the exploit so hosts like you don't have to suffer this crap every six weeks?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The exploit is fixed. phpBB 2.0.11 did that. The problem is the load. The virus may not be able to cause damage but it can still put an unbearable load on the server. There is a .haccess file you can use (if your server allows it) that helps reduce that load.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Terra-Arcanum's still working. :)

I haven't done it to Duck and Cover yet though...

Calis

Pensionado
Exitium said:
Some people tried the .htaccess quick fix. Their sites dont work anymore.
Those people should get their hosts to install mod_rewrite and learn how to properly debug their apache directives. Noobs. :D

Hajo

Liturgist
Calis, maybe you invited some hackers to check your admin skills?

Today, The Codex was more down than up for me so far, sometimes completely unavailable, sometimes PHP/Database errors, sometimes "500 Internal Server error"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom