Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Codex has even more privacy failures.

Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA)

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Übermensch
Codex auto-saves your thread/post content. Meaning if you hadn't yet turned your post content into something final you intended for others to digest it's already been sent across the wires unencrypted. Everyone can read your posts as you are creating them.

This means that if you write a post then decide to run it through a text encrypter to get around codex's non-encryption, you've already lost, since likely the plain text version was sent across the internet if you typed your stuff up on codex at some earlier point.

Every manifesto you've created, every private thought you believed you almost leaked, every writing process, every derp, every disturbing gap in your reasoning, is out there if you bothered to type it. However it is you arrive at your content before pressing submit, that too is quite visible and knowable to every point from your computer to wherever rpgcodex is.

*Also any accidental clipboard paste of passwords would just as well be sent automatically after a short time.

Basically you're turning yourself into the police before you even officially submit your insane or politically distasteful post.

RPGCodex has no encryption in these places:
-When you press preview
-Post a message.
-Private message with someone.
-Post on a profile.
-Auto-matic draft saves (which it does quite frequently)
-Basically everything has no encryption.

majamaja

Augur
They're probably already keylogging you anyway, bro. I've got a totally offline desktop locked away in my basement that'll never lose her virginity for writing manifestos and drawing up bunker blueprints, all other digital business is assumed transparent and confined to my shitphone, whose shittyness discourages me from such nonsense. Works like a charm except everyone I correspond with probably thinks I lost 10 IQ points.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've got a totally offline desktop locked away in my basement that'll never lose her virginity for writing manifestos and drawing up bunker blueprints, all other digital business is assumed transparent and confined to my shitphone, whose shittyness discourages me from such nonsense.

You ever hear of EMF radiation hacking?

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/researchers-hack-air-gapped-computer-simple-cell-phone/

The most sensitive work environments, like nuclear power plants, demand the strictest security. Usually this is achieved by air-gapping computers from the Internet and preventing workers from inserting USB sticks into computers. When the work is classified or involves sensitive trade secrets, companies often also institute strict rules against bringing smartphones into the workspace, as these could easily be turned into unwitting listening devices.

But researchers in Israel have devised a new method for stealing data that bypasses all of these protections—using the GSM network, electromagnetic waves and a basic low-end mobile phone.

No one and nothing is safe. Not even your own thoughts.

Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA)

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Übermensch
Hanlon's razor holds nothing to the abuse being visited upon innocent users of this site. DU and Tallytootin should consider resigning or switch to encryption by Friday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom