Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex Top 55 JRPG List - Results

Duraframe300

Arcane
Memory of Terranigma

When I first played it I was like 7-8 years old, I didn't play a Quintet game before, my history with jrpg's was fresher. I booted the game up, went through the story and then approached the first tower. For me, at the time, it seemed quite a while to climb it too. Both from a story perspective and for my brain back then it seemed like beating those towers was the main focus of Terranigma.

As the game didn't immediately grab me I would pick it up and put it down constantly, nearly always restarting from the beginning. When I finally mustered up, beat them and the opening was playing I was floored. Ended up being a top gaming experience, but funnily enough that is why nearly 20 years since I last played the game that opening section is still stuck in my head.

Have wanted to replay it for a while (and recently replayed Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia/Time), but maybe this will be the impetus for it to happen.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Memory of Terranigma

When I first played it I was like 7-8 years old, I didn't play a Quintet game before, my history with jrpg's was fresher. I booted the game up, went through the story and then approached the first tower. For me, at the time, it seemed quite a while to climb it too. Both from a story perspective and for my brain back then it seemed like beating those towers was the main focus of Terranigma.

As the game didn't immediately grab me I would pick it up and put it down constantly, nearly always restarting from the beginning. When I finally mustered up, beat them and the opening was playing I was floored. Ended up being a top gaming experience, but funnily enough that is why nearly 20 years since I last played the game that opening section is still stuck in my head.

Have wanted to replay it for a while (and recently replayed Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia/Time), but maybe this will be the impetus for it to happen.

Yeah, I think the SNES's library is hugely overrated on the whole, but Illusion of Gaia/Time & Terranigma are two of the genuine quality titles on there.

I recently replayed both Soul Blazer & IoG, and will be hitting Terranigma soon too. Soul Blazer sucks though. It's controls are bollocks, and the way Enix copy-pasted so many elements from Actraiser really makes it feel cheap and out of place. That's one of those games which Nintendo fan-boys circle-jerk over, but which is just shit in reality.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
SNES catalogue was always quantity over quality, it has always been the plebs choice while mega drive was the monocled one. The first party lineup of RPG from Sega shits all over Nintendo, 4 fucking games in the top 10 are SEGA exclusives.

Paper

Educated
on the famicom all the shovelware are inspired by dragon quest and wizardry. random junk from the famicom, like glory of heracles/silva saga/momotarou densetsu, are mostly solid and not shit and decline like snes games trying to be like ffiv/vi/chrono trigger

idk maybe 16 bit power gave devs hubris and they felt they needed to do some hollywood shit, either way they also nerfed the games to the point i dont even understand why they kept the combat in at all anymore

they're not all as bad as ffvi ofc, but im always hesitant when someone recommends a snes rpg.

Gastrick

Cipher
At #1 place, with an average score of 4.64 is:

Sengoku Rance

vsYKqsd.jpg

flyingjohn

Arcane
On one hand,it is Rance and incline.
On the other,it is not a jrpg in any way shape or form. Rance 6 would be the better pick for a jrpg.

Falksi

Arcane
Boom. Inclinious maximus.

Looking through that full list I think that's a really good poll. Sure there's gonna be ones we all disagree on, but I'm seeing way more enjoyable games in there than I am cringe ones.

Big respect to the 'Dex for not having Chrono Trigger anywhere near the top 10. My faith is restored in this sites prestigiousicity.

Good job Gastrick, thanks for running it :salute:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Rance number 1 :shredder: Top 5 then has 2 games I think deserve that that place (nocturne also)

Could you tell which score trails and breath of fire 3-4 got? I just find it curious that BoF 5 is in top 50 and not either of 3 or 4.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Dragon Quarter was always the mechanically superior BoF, it's just faggots that hate it. I talked about it in the thread "Best entries in their own series that people dislike" or something like that. A shit ton of people said a was baiting but this poll shows that i was right (as always).

Gastrick

Cipher
Could you tell which score trails and breath of fire 3-4 got? I just find it curious that BoF 5 is in top 50 and not either of 3 or 4.

Breath of Fire IV - 102nd
Breath of Fire III - 127th
Trails from Zero Series - 63rd
Trails in the Sky Series - 84th
Trails of Cold Steel Series - 126th

Title​
Year​
Console​
Generation​
Sub-Genre​
Fan translation?​
Min-7 Average​
Pure Average​
Popularity​
Percentage of 4s or 5s​
Percentage of 1s, 2s, or 3s​
Percentage of 5s​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
Popularity Gradient Average​
Min-10 Average​
Breath of Fire III​
1997​
Playstation​
Fifth​
JRPG​
No​
3.375​
3.375​
16​
37.50%​
62.50%​
12.50%​
0​
2​
8​
4​
2​
3.41304347826087​
3.375​
Breath of Fire IV​
2000​
Playstation​
Fifth​
JRPG​
No​
3.5​
3.5​
18​
55.56%​
44.44%​
5.56%​
0​
2​
6​
9​
1​
3.5​
3.5​
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter​
2002​
Playstation 2​
Sixth​
JRPG​
No​
3.86666666666667​
3.86666666666667​
15​
66.67%​
33.33%​
46.67%
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
PC
Seventh
JRPG with SRPG elements
No
37.50%
62.50%
37.50%
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
PC
Seventh
JRPG with SRPG elements
No
58.33%
41.67%
16.67%
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Playstation 3
Seventh
JRPG
No
41.18%
58.82%
23.53%

Crossbell somehow being higher rated than Sky or Cold Steel blows my mind. It was far and away the worst arc in the series in gameplay, story, and aesthetics.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, Terranigma was a great action adventure / action RPG. But not much of an RPG at all, more like Alundra or Soul Blazer.

Really treasured that game.

Also always makes Americans mad: "WTF, Europe and Japan exclusive? It's not fair!" while we in Europe didn't get FF4, 6, Chrono Trigger, etc. because they were all US and Japan exclusive...

Where did Lufia 2 rank? The Ancient Cave alone makes it worth full price.

Edit: ah, 13. Not bad. You know, it's one step above Dark Spire which is a tremendous game that almost nobody played. Nice surprise to see it get some love. It's a love letter to Wizardry.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
On one hand,it is Rance and incline.
On the other,it is not a jrpg in any way shape or form. Rance 6 would be the better pick for a jrpg.
? Rance 6 is a blobber, which is a very western rpg genre. Sengoku is kinda unique, it doesn't fit super well into any genre, but it is a roleplaying game that is very JAPANese so...

Sengoku really is worthy of the top spot imo, amazing game. Also interesting to see that the 5th place is the first "traditional"* jrpg on the list.

*I'm something of a jrpg pleb, but when I think traditional jrpg I think early final fantasy or chrono trigger.

Is there a full list of the results? I wanna see what the other rance titles got :M

Also always makes Americans mad: "WTF, Europe and Japan exclusive? It's not fair!" while we in Europe didn't get FF4, 6, Chrono Trigger, etc. because they were all US and Japan exclusive...
I'm euro, and I just haven't heard of it. I played CT on emulator because it was super famous, and probably would have played terranigma as well, if I had ever heard about it until this poll.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gastrick can you share how all of the FFs ranked? I am of the opinion that the FFs are good despite being popular, so I am interested in what scores they got.

Interesting list overall, my only gripe is that Romancing SaGa 3 is over Romancing SaGa 2, apart from that good games all around.

Disciple

Savant
May I ask what percentage of 1s and 2s did the following games get: FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls, Pokémon Red/Blue?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
@Gastrick can you share how all of the FFs ranked? I am of the opinion that the FFs are good despite being popular, so I am interested in what scores they got.
7Hkqbff.png

FFV and FFVI were quite close.
X is low is product of unfortunate contrarianism posting, but I am very pleased by A2 at ~3,6.
It is a really good game, one of the best srpgs gameplay wise.
It also includes my undead wife Frimelda
5jzwyHj.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom