Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

J1M

Arcane
Good advice. I'm testing fonts in wz before deciding on them. They look pretty much the same in Unity (at least accoding to some minor tests).
But it's a good point about the amount of text - I'm still deciding about that.
After you have it looking decent, Unity is going to fuck you in the ass when you change resolution/pixel density.

zwanzig_zwoelf

After you have it looking decent, Unity is going to fuck you in the ass when you change resolution/pixel density.
I have some old code that renders UI in a specified resolution and up/downscales it to ingame resolution.
Rendering UI & fonts in a high resolution then downscaling it might solve the issue.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There have a been a temporary halt recently in progress due to it being the festival season in addition to a lot of freelance work.
Regardless, development is still chugging along.
As of now, I finally finished the enemy AI infrastructure and filled it in with the first of my enemy AI archetypes - the punk.
Took me some time to design an enemy AI decision making infrastructure that allow me to tinker with one trick pony mooks to complicated bosses with attack patterns, based on circumstances.
Having an overall infrastructure for all enemy AI ensure all the codes can be interchangeable and reusable.

Will move on next to coding the attack of opportunity mechanics.

As usual, here be the gifs of progress.
UmKfyQu.gif

LcMoi3S.gif

cRiThrS.gif

CFdbmFX.gif

Also, will consider buying new spectacles since apparently I can't spot a missing s in the code for more than two hours.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hmm.. I'm considering going with FOnline's engine for a Commercial project I'm working on with some friends. Only problem is, the svn is down. Anyone here got some backups of the latest version? Also, where can I find some good documentation?
Sorry for the late answer, didn't check the topic for weeks. Anyway, the SDK repo is accessible again.

Documentation is mostly in Russian and partially obsolete, there has been a lot of interesting changes since the rev. 408 or 409... the docs couldn't follow, they've been updated and maintained mostly by the community/volunteers. Check out the repo logs for changes.

I suggest you to visit us @fodev.net and post your inquiries on the forum, there's always somebody around to help you with the scripts and/or work-arounds (mostly Wipe, JovankaB and Ghosthack). Commercial project must be arranged with the engine proprietor, the license is currently available in Russian only. I can get you in touch with him, not a prob.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
After a long time here is some progress on the game front. I've been working on the road editor for the map-travel portion of the game and here is a screenshot of the editor.

LwurHLk.png

I can now draw roads with circularly-connected segments and branching paths, I can delete points and move them around, which is pretty much the basic functionality I need.

I’ve also implemented a road point and road segment inspector to change the attributes of each.

Next, I plan to implement an actual tiled background map on which to overlay the road.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Currently fucking around with Blender, creating pretty okay-ish models to use in my game. Pretty painful from time to time. Afraid to even start to think about modeling something that even remotely resembles human body.

Also, keeping different textures in the same style and color is a pain in the ass.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just buy a human model off someone and make adjustments afterwards, it's not like anyone is gonna study it pixel by pixel from every possible angle to see if you made it yourself.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Just buy a human model off someone and make adjustments afterwards, it's not like anyone is gonna study it pixel by pixel from every possible angle to see if you made it yourself.
Most of the stock stuff has tons of details that I don't need, plus the polygon count is either too high, or the model is just plain ugly. Simply speaking, it looks like making the model that suits the game is actually easier than fixing a crappy model made by some tasteless hack, yet it's not like modeling humans is an easy task.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Most of the stock stuff has tons of details that I don't need, plus the polygon count is either too high, or the model is just plain ugly. Simply speaking, it looks like making the model that suits the game is actually easier than fixing a crappy model made by some tasteless hack, yet it's not like modeling humans is an easy task.

You could try the MakeHuman model, there is a lower polygon one too, you could use as a base for your own, but modeling your own is also fun and you can adapt it to your needs.

zwanzig_zwoelf

You could try the MakeHuman model, there is a lower polygon one too, you could use as a base for your own, but modeling your own is also fun and you can adapt it to your needs.
I've tried those before, but I don't remember that it could generate models with less than ~1500 polygons.
Not to mention that results were mostly unsatisfying, I remember fucking around with fingers to make them look less like sausages.

Some progress lately.
Changed my goals from doing the AoO and interrupt mechanics once I realize I don't have another control subject to demonstrate it first.
Therefore, I have been spending time lately creating a new player character using a new class, rogue/scumbag/investigator/whatever you want to call it.
It wasn't simple as the class require a hell lot of new mechanics to accommodate it, including once per round abilities usage and recharge mechanics.
Besides that, I also finished the flanking, cover system and range mechanics.
For flanking, it means than if you have two player characters on the opposite side of the enemy, both of them gain combat advantage upper hand against that enemy. Gaining the upper hand means your attack hit more accurate and certain abilities, like sneak attack, are able to work. Understand that I code it so the same mechanics apply too to the enemy.
Cover system is obvious. If you want to attack someone and there is another person or something between both of you, your attack is less accurate by a certain margin, which is determined by the level of obstacle.
Range mechanics is quite simple. Ranged weapons have both optimal and maximum range. Once you attack past their optimal range, the attack gain a demerit in accuracy. This is pretty much the staple of every ranged based system in any modern turn based strategy game.
Oh yeah, one of the gifs below demonstrate the Lethal technique, which is obtained from the Lethal trait which is granted by the personality Passionate.
The technique grant you the Lethal status effect which automatically reroll the first miss the character make. So, activate the tech only when you want an insurance against missing.
Not to say, of course, that you won't still miss the second time too. :troll:
FYI, a familiarity with the 4th Edition DnD rules will help you make sense of most of my rambling here.

As usual, the cinematic experience gifs
Njn9hHc.gif

99DdH6Q.gif

zB69UAy.gif

LUu5SqK.gif

Will finish coding the rest of Alyssa techniques later.
While common sense dictates I should continue on to finish the AoO/interrupt mechanics after that, I probably going to focus on creating a stats menu that can be accessed during combat which show the description of the status effects on the character, the characters' feats and traits, their equipment and other stuff afterwards.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in the first two gifs, Alyssa are able to sneak attack without flanking due to the one of the rogue class traits, First Strike First Blood. That trait ensure that she have upper hand against everyone that is slower than her during the first round of the combat. Just to clear any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Progress from previous day.
Finally finished the last of Alyssa's techniques.
I also finished coding saving throws and sliding mechanics.
In addition, the scrollbar is redone so it look much more at harmony with the menu UI.

Some progress gifs showcasing Positioning Strike Displacing Strike and Pommel Smash Facial Strike below
LDmpxCR.gif

Qt3IOzu.gif

Going to focus on creating the stats menu mockup after this.
Might need feedback on that.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm finally getting some concrete work done on my turn-based 1st-person blobber CRPG. Prior to this I have been doing a lot of brainstorming, sketching and overall design planning. I have basic grid-based movement done so far and I'm now working out the plans for my tileset structure so I can begin building maps. Getting up to speed with Blender, which I'll be using for all of my modeling. I'm using Unity for the game.

Today I was also messing around with some interface layout ideas (mockups in Photoshop with engine shots for the 3D and map views - all graphics placeholder) :
PnPMockup_001.jpg

Another, more traditional Wizardry-like approach:
PnPMockup_002.jpg

Option 1 is more information-rich (bigger text / info windows) and has the advantage of representing marching order of and ranks of the party very clearly. Also keeping track of character status might be more efficient when they're clustered together. But Option 2 has a nice symmetry, a bigger 3D window and that classic Wizardry feel.

Which one do you guys think works better?

One other question - for those who are fans of 1st-person blobbers - which game(s) would you say has the best interface of all?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the wizardry layout feels better IMO

what exactly will info/stats say?

Alchemist

Arcane
the wizardry layout feels better IMO

what exactly will info/stats say?
My plan was for it to be a context-sensitive window depending on your currently selected character, object, or monster. So, for a character it might display their important stats, status effects - and stuff like that. For an object it would display a detailed description of the object and its known properties. And for a monster it would describe what the party knows about the creature, if anything, along with a physical description.

These are my initial ideas - things could change of course. I know some of that could be handled with popups or tooltips but I'd really like to avoid large text windows popping up over the 3D view, and keep text mainly to the dedicated panels.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It depends on whether the portraits will be interactive. While I prefer the way the second one's layout, it might require more mouse movements if the characters' abilities/inventory are accessible from the portraits.

Alchemist

Arcane
It depends on whether the portraits will be interactive. While I prefer the way the second one's layout, it might require more mouse movements if the characters' abilities/inventory are accessible from the portraits.
Yeah I'm a bit up in the air on how interactive they'll be. I was thinking the clustered layout would help prevent screen-wide mouse movements when managing characters. But there might be a better way to do character management anyway, which would avoid mousing all over the place. In any case, I'll have lots of keyboard shortcut options.

I'm drawn to Option 2 as well and that seems to be the preferred one. Thanks for the feedback all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was thinking the clustered layout would help prevent screen-wide mouse movements when managing characters. But there might be a better way to do character management anyway, which would avoid mousing all over the place.

Exactly. That is how you should be approaching an interface. :salute:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The party has only seven characters now.
:rpgcodex:

Joking aside, you could win a little space for the log on the Wizardry-style layout by placing the info/stats window above each portrait and allow the player to toggle between the portraits and stats. I think that's what Grimoire does.

J1M

Arcane
One of the things I hated most about Grimrock was that each action required a click. If you are planning to make a game that requires a mouse click or more (for submenus) per character, per round, I would not play it.

It is good that you are considering mouse travel, but you also need to consider mouse clicks and shortcuts.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'm finally getting some concrete work done on my turn-based 1st-person blobber CRPG. Prior to this I have been doing a lot of brainstorming, sketching and overall design planning. I have basic grid-based movement done so far and I'm now working out the plans for my tileset structure so I can begin building maps. Getting up to speed with Blender, which I'll be using for all of my modeling. I'm using Unity for the game.

Today I was also messing around with some interface layout ideas (mockups in Photoshop with engine shots for the 3D and map views - all graphics placeholder) :
PnPMockup_001.jpg

Another, more traditional Wizardry-like approach:
PnPMockup_002.jpg

Option 1 is more information-rich (bigger text / info windows) and has the advantage of representing marching order of and ranks of the party very clearly. Also keeping track of character status might be more efficient when they're clustered together. But Option 2 has a nice symmetry, a bigger 3D window and that classic Wizardry feel.

Which one do you guys think works better?

One other question - for those who are fans of 1st-person blobbers - which game(s) would you say has the best interface of all?

Motherfucker, you stole my idea.
Oh wait, CRPG, not TRPG. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom