Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex's Best DS RPGs

Delterius

Arcane
1. Dragon's Dogma.
2. Demon's Souls.
3. Ni no Kuni.
4. Valkyria Chronicles.
5. Disgaea 4.

Disgaea 4 isn't even close to my favorite game of the series, though.

Got to ask, anyone know anything about the direct sequel to the original Disgaea?

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Given how radically different the placings for lists are bound to get, I'd suggest we do a Top 5 without any kind of order structure to it. Just five best, in no particular order.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
  1. the last story (wii, deal with it)
  2. disgaea 4
  3. dragon's dogma: dark arisen
  4. demon's souls
  5. dragon's crown
in case anyone wonders, i do love wots and vc, but vc is about as much rpg as all those online shooters where you level up classes are and wots 3 and 4 are less so, unless you count c&c as the sole defining feature of rpgs, which i don't.

I'm breaking the rules by adding a game released in the timespan of the "last-gen", but for a console of the generation previous...it's that damn good.

1. Dragon's Dogma (haven't played DA yet)
2. Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzonoha vs King Abbadon
3. Nier
4. Demon's Souls
5. Way of the Samurai 3

Machocruz

Arcane
I am a PS3 owner

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dragon's Dogma
3. Ni No Kuni
4. EDIT: Disgaea 4
5. EDIT: Dragon's Crown, if qualifies. Xenoblade otherwise.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Given how radically different the placings for lists are bound to get, I'd suggest we do a Top 5 without any kind of order structure to it. Just five best, in no particular order.
I like having positions, is interesting to see that so far the Codex loves Dragon's Dogma more that even Demon's Souls.

5. Warriors Orochi 3
Seriously? Why Oroichi, and not DW 8, DW 7 Empires or Sengoku Basara 3?

Shouldn't the Wii get a mention considering Xenoblade and The Last Story were released on it? Little King's Story wasn't bad either. ;p

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I agree that the Wii should get mention if only for Xenoblade, which I have not played but have heard good things about.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I tried the... ahn... PC demo on Dolphin and didn't saw anything insteresting besides some really nice open fields, but sure, anything you guys vote is in.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I already made my feelings about Xenoblade known in my previous post, but I'll just say that the MMO combat was horribru. Made worse by the fact that most of the skills the main character learned dealed in positional damage from behind and the sides of the enemy and then ditching threat, which means that you were never really in the heat of the battle but skulking around. Had they given us skills to spec into other roles it would've been fine, but as it was it was kinda boring. Like raiding in WoW as a Rogue. You just sip coffee and look at the big numbers bounce on the screen and if you are a simian with a miniscule brain then maybe this will impress you. And I don't even want to go into the voice acting, quests, story, how clownish your dudes looks like with random bits and pieces of armor equipped and nothing really fitting well together etc.
Music was nice though.

Never played the PS3 ones, but the PS2 games are probably one of the most interesting examples of C&C you'll ever see.

I played a bit of the first one.

>Annoy policeman with your presence

>he warns you to fuck off

>you ignore him because you're an awesome samurai and the world is yours

>he unsheathes his sword

>oh god this is not like fighting drunk thugs at all

>New Game? y/n

Game does not fuck around. I'll have to go back to it eventually.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Eh, Oroichi always seems like a huge game with mostly filler content. The battles have lame objectives, the three-characters system makes it all too easy and the plot is retarded... not to mention that as Vaarna said, it isn't really much of an RPG...

You should try Sengoku, the battles have nice objectives, the characters movesets are completly unique and the campaigns are non-linear.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm changing my No.5 to Disgaea 4 then *EDIT: now No. 4*. Objectively a superior game anyway. I saw someone mention DW qualifying and I thought they meant the mainline games, because stats and weapon upgrades yo. And I really enjoyed WO3, so I thought "why not?"

Deleted member 7219

Ni No Kuni.

That is all. I'm not into JRPGs at all, I only played Ni No Kuni because I'm a huge Studio Ghibli fan and the gameworld and soundtrack looked amazing - and they didn't disappoint. I really don't care enough to try any other console RPG.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, Way of the Samurai is like the japanese Age of Decadence, I would be surprised if Vault Dweller never played it at all.
Heard a lot, wanted to play, but I don't play console games often (almost never). So, should I play it? If yes, which one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom