Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #50: First Chapter is Playable, Early Access in March

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

The latest Colony Ship development update is brief but brings good news. The game's opening chapter is now playable from start to finish and looking good. Vault Dweller plans to continue playtesting and improving it over the next four weeks, but he believes the Early Access build is on track for release in mid March. The update includes a batch of screenshots from the game's opening moments in the Pit, which looks better than ever.

As the title says, the first chapter is finally playable and it looks and feels pretty good. It's another major milestone as there's a huge difference between calling up some scripts to test a quest or check dialogues and actually playing the chapter from start to finish.

Next step - playtesting it internally (that's what I'm doing now), improving the locations and visuals (until now the focus was on quests and scripting), adding more dialogues and events, and expanding options where appropriate. I assume we'll spend the next 4 weeks doing that, then see where we're at. So far it looks like we're on track to release the first chapter in mid March, but time will tell.

See you in a month.
Excellent. Let's hope there are no last minute issues.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I literally shouted FUCK YEAH! out loud at the screen when I read the post and saw the pictures.

Gentlemen, the incline cometh.

Couple of questions though, for you Vault Dweller,

Are there any plans to visually touch up the dialogue screen and the reading experience further before or during EA?

I'm thinking maybe something like sprusing up the paragraphs of text, adding abit more spacing, perhaps different type/italics/font/colour for the direct conversation, and the descriptions that your character makes.

I know this is all icing on the cake, but i'm just curious because it enhances the reading experience.

Last edited:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I'm still undecided if I will dive in and start playing the Early Access release,
there is no question I'll be throwing money at the screen in support. I still enjoy
replaying Age of Decadence. And there is little else, if anything, that gets me
excited at the moment. Good luck and godspeed! :salute:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Are there any plans to visually touch up the dialogue screen and the reading experience further before or during EA?

I'm thinking maybe something like sprusing up the paragraphs of text, adding abit more spacing, perhaps different type/italics/font/colour for the direct conversation, and the descriptions that your character makes.

I know this is all icing on the cake, but i'm just curious because it enhances the reading experience.
Naturally, we'd like to improve everything that can be improved, but the text is low on the list. Right now the focus is on improving locations and adding flavor dialogues (we added that diner, so we had to add the cook and dialogues):

As you approach, the woman turns on her makeshift grill: a metal plate resting on two crates above a simple burner.

"What can I get you?" she asks. One look at the unappetizing mass of recycled protein sitting on the grill is all it takes to dissuade you from the "special." She points at a vat with some kind of tear-inducing steam seeping out from around the edges. "Today only, three fifty for a fried New Yorker."

^ MRY contrubution to the war effort​

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Naturally, we'd like to improve everything that can be improved, but the text is low on the list. Right now the focus is on improving locations and adding flavor dialogues (we added that diner, so we had to add the cook and dialogues):

As you approach, the woman turns on her makeshift grill: a metal plate resting on two crates above a simple burner.

"What can I get you?" she asks. One look at the unappetizing mass of recycled protein sitting on the grill is all it takes to dissuade you from the "special." She points at a vat with some kind of tear-inducing steam seeping out from around the edges. "Today only, three fifty for a fried New Yorker."

^ MRY contrubution to the war effort​

Thanks for answering. Seems logical obviously, and cool with the added diner.

I was only asking, because on the outside it seems like a relatively small task to tinker abit with the different visual styles of text and paragraphing. I just recently watched the pathfinder 2 beta stream, and they way they outline text from eachother and highlight other stuff is simple, yet really neat and effective way to improve the reading experience to the player.
I'm looking forward to March. I wish you and the team the best. Hope you can stay sane and healthy in these crazy pandemic times.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I was only asking, because on the outside it seems like a relatively small task to tinker abit with the different visual styles of text and paragraphing. I just recently watched the pathfinder 2 beta stream, and they way they outline text from eachother and highlight other stuff is simple, yet really neat and effective way to improve the reading experience to the player.
It is a relatively simple task but everything takes time. There are new signs (store signs, medbay, etc) we haven't updated yet because there are tons of other small tasks to do. It's almost overwhelming right now and it takes an effort to stay focused.

For this task, most likely we'd need to apply the font tags manually to each dialogue node, which is a simple task for a large team that can afford to put a junior designer on it for a few hours, but a time-consuming task for a very small team (we lost the second programmer, btw, who decided to seek his fortune elsewhere - a very understandable notion, and we lost two contractors, so we're down to a skeleton crew once again).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
(we lost the second programmer, btw, who decided to seek his fortune elsewhere - a very understandable notion, and we lost two contractors, so we're down to a skeleton crew once again).

That is not good. This will delay release much?

Vault Dweller

Developer
(we lost the second programmer, btw, who decided to seek his fortune elsewhere - a very understandable notion, and we lost two contractors, so we're down to a skeleton crew once again).

That is not good. This will delay release much?
Not really, as at this point (now that the game is playable) most programming tasks are done. Now the biggest obstacle and reason for all possible delays is location design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom