Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat animations - updated

galsiah

Erudite
First off good going on the game so far.
The improved animations look pretty good, and are fine as far as I'm concerned - best to spend time on other things.

However, if you feel like improving them, here's my two cents (I know a very little about weapons, but more about physics):
On both throwing animations, the sword / dagger seems to fly in an exactly straight line, rather than a slight curve due to gravity. If you already have it flying in a curve, then I don't think it is noticable enough. If you need it to go dead straight so that it hits at the same height regardless of the distance of the enemy, than that's fair enough.

The second throwing animation is good, in that it is probably accurate, but demonstrates why people don't throw swords / many daggers (at least not like that).

EDIT:
blahblah
[demonstrates total lack of knowledge of throwing knives]
blahblah

I really should know what I'm talking about a bit more :).
Link to some info from people who know what they're talking about (probably).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.text

After reading that I'd say that the problem with your second throwing animation is that the weapon spins too fast. If that's necessary to allow the player to think it hits point first at any distance, then fair enough. If you can be surer of the distance - e.g. that it's always a multiple of 6 feet, you could make the weapon turn only once / twice per six feet, and it'd probably be more realistic.

Of course I'll be much more upset by slightly bad game mechanics than by not-quite-perfect throwing knives / daggers, so there's no real need to fix this. I'm sure everyone will agree that time could be better spent.
Keep up the good work.

EvoG

Erudite
Um, whats the codec these are using. QT doesn't seem to want to swallow them and sends me to their plugin page, but not which is being used.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Those are really cool looking, I like the sword model (curved swords :)). The one you just posted looks kinda awkward, but you said they were at 1/2 speed so that's probably the problem.

EvoG

Erudite
Well no, I use DivX for all my anim work, and this is loading as a mov file (QT logo and scrub bar).

Can you find out?

FreeRadical

Novice
The regular attack is quite good. What's needed though is for him to step forward with his left leg as he thrusts... instead of just that pivot. This will cut out the slight awkwardness to the movement and give all of us bloodhounds the aggression we want.

As for the throw, he needs more on the back-stroke and a step forward with release.

This game seems awesome!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom