Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consequences - how you want them

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now, one thing we don't need to argue about, everybody here likes consequences. I like consequences too. But how do you like them?

Either you get the consequence for your choice immediately after choosing [like, get any kind of loot/reward/XP/event that happens as a consequence right after your choice] or you notice it only later in the game [that girl you killed back then was the daughter of the king! Uh-oh...]. The consequence can be big [So just because of this little choice I made back then I have the whole army chasing me? Darnit] or small [so, because of my former choice, you are becoming my friend? Nice]. They can be good [Yay, the king rewards me by giving me a castle and lots of land for my deeds!] or bad [Nay! They're going to execute me for that!].

So, which consequences are your favourites? Those which come instantly after the choice, or those which unfold only slowly through the course of the game, where one choice at the beginning can influence the whole game?

Kraszu

Prophet
Those that unfold slowly more interesting, they should make sense to you, there is no meta game in example:
"t girl you killed back then was the daughter of the king! Uh-oh..."

Sound random you should have enough information to see what can happen, things don't have to happen perfectly as you through they will, but should be not fair off so much to be impossible to deduct.

Some that happen instantly are also fine, it can be connected some result directly connected to your action happens instantly but your standing whit gilds change because of what you did. Game should have mix of both without it it would not feel realistic.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
The whole 'choice and consequences' thing can just be boiled down to a reactive world that makes sense. That's all people really want.

Texas Red

Whiner
Example of a perfect choise and consequences:

The preacher in Fallout 2 in Vault City gives you a case and asks it to be delivered to the Bishop famliy. If you blackmail money from him or other such, then, after giving the case to Bishop, the whole family will go hostile because word has come of your character. Not only are you in a pickle but you also loose the chance of working for him.

HardCode

Erudite
If I use WASD to bump my character into an NPC with massive Elf b00bies, I want that NPC to slap my character's face or undress instead.

Short of that, I think that some choices should have immediate consequences, while others have long-term consequences.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Now, one thing we don't need to argue about, everybody here likes consequences. I like consequences too. But how do you like them?

Either you get the consequence for your choice immediately after choosing [like, get any kind of loot/reward/XP/event that happens as a consequence right after your choice] or you notice it only later in the game [that girl you killed back then was the daughter of the king! Uh-oh...]. The consequence can be big [So just because of this little choice I made back then I have the whole army chasing me? Darnit] or small [so, because of my former choice, you are becoming my friend? Nice]. They can be good [Yay, the king rewards me by giving me a castle and lots of land for my deeds!] or bad [Nay! They're going to execute me for that!].
Consequences come in many shapes and sizes, kids!

Some consequences are big!
Some consequences are small.
Some consequences are quick!
Some consequences are loooong.
Some consequences are good, others are bad!
Now kids, do you prefer your consequences with green eggs and ham?

NPCs who infer my character from what they've heard are superior to those who are as reactive as a turd.

-Baby's first consequence.

Section8

Cipher
Remember when daddy told you not to take rides from strangers and you did it anyway? That was a bad choice with an appropriately bad consequence. Of course it was also a bad choice for the man who did that to you, and as a consequence his balls are now in a jar in daddy's garage.

Kotario

Liturgist
Has anyone here played that old adventure game, Conquests of the Longbow?

Not an RPG, but consequences played a large part in the game. There are immediate consequences, such as that peasant woman you are trying to rescue gets skewered because you did something stupid. Then, at the end of the game, you are put on trial for your actions, and characters appear again to condemn or praise you. Depending on the overall trend of your actions, you can face five different endings, from being awarded a knighthood to being sentenced to execution.

sabishii

Arbiter
Jim Kata said:
The whole 'choice and consequences' thing can just be boiled down to a reactive world that makes sense. That's all people really want.
Yep. It's hard to roleplay when your actions are meaningless except for the XP and loot you get.

gc051360

Scholar
Variety. Small...that shopkeeper won't sell me his wares because I had sex with his wife.

And big. That king wants me arrested because I had sex with his wife. And I am in exile from his town, and will be arrested if I show my face there.

Long term. I assassinated the king, after having sex with his wife, and now there is a power struggle, and war may be upon us.

Long term again.. men are wary when they meet me, because my wife-sex-having reputation precedes me.

The_Pope

Scholar
JarlFrank said:

So, which consequences are your favourites? Those which come instantly after the choice, or those which unfold only slowly through the course of the game, where one choice at the beginning can influence the whole game?

All of them, duh.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
The_Pope said:
JarlFrank said:

All of them, duh.

Yeah no kidding. A good game should have all of the above.

kris

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I would like those that unfold slowly over the course of the game, provided they're not retarded, illogical, and utterly impossible to predict, but I can't say for sure, since I can't actually think of a game that has them.

NWN2 had a couple of those, as for companions and as for the trial in particular.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I concur, a good mix of all of these is needed. My favourites are the small cause, big effect ones though, although they should never be used more than once or twice in the game. Just kind of chimes with my personal life philosophy.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I agree that a good game should have all of those, but I don't think that any long term consequence should be your character's premature death or the inability to continue. Incidentally, I don't much like the King's Quest series.

Long term consequences are also better when you have the chance to influence them multiple times.

Anyone know of any more games with long term consequences.

ElPresidente

Novice
I personally like consequences that just flow naturally from my actions.

They may be consequences that only see impact post game completion (see the end sequences for Fallout and Arcanum) or consequences that take place immediately. What is important is that the consequence matches the action... it is the only way to ensure I'm sucked into the world.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Any consequence that has bounds outside of the quest that caused it are a good start. Treating each quest/mission as a separate entity within the game world is a sure fire way to kill off any kind of believability in the setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom