Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control games with your brain for $299.99

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Brain Controlled Gaming A Reality This Year

Description
It still looks like a sci-fi device, but brain control helmet has been already created and will be released as a gaming gadget this years.

An American/Australian firm called Emotiv announced that -later this year- they will be releasing a neuro-helmet which "allows the user to manipulate a game or virtual environment naturally and intuitively."

The helmet, called Epoc, " picks up electrical activity from the brain and sends wireless signals to a computer," said Tan Le, president of Emotiv.

Epoc implements a technology known as non-invasive electroencephalography (EEG) to read the neural activity of the brain by capturing the electrical pulses neurons (nerve cells) emit while interacting.

Reading neural activity is not completely new as it has been implemented several times since the seventies but, according to Ms. Tan Le, "this is the first headset that doesn't require a large net of electrodes, or a technician to calibrate or operate it and does require gel on the scalp. It also doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars."

In addition to understanding the player's movement and action orders, Epoc also detects his emotion and relay it to the game so that his avatar would reflect them. "If you laughed or felt happy after killing a character in a game then your virtual buddy could admonish you for being callous", said Ms. Le.

Epoc will retail for $299. It is able to more detect than 30 different expressions, emotions and actions. The helmet also includes a gyroscope to detect movements and it connects to the pc wirelessly through a USB dongle.

Emotiv is working with IBM to develop the technology for uses in "strategic enterprise business markets and virtual worlds"

Paul Ledak, vice president, IBM Digital Convergence said brain computer interfaces, like the Epoc headset were an important component of the future 3D Internet and the future of virtual communication.

http://www.emotiv.com/

Mayday

Augur
Soooo... until they can work on a device that controls the on-screen pointer based on what you're looking at, this thing is kinda silly.

Schauman

Scholar
Wonder how sensitive that thing really is? While EEG gives a good picture of brain activity it does come with it's own limitations. Detection of +30 expresssions, emotions or actions sounds easy but the differences between brain chemistry and construction of human head ought to be problematic atleast. Should be fun for shock gaming though.

- Aaaah Poopie is such a good poodle. Yes he is! Yessi he is!
*You hug Poopie*
*You begin to strangulate Poopie*
*Poopie turns blue!*
*Poopie dies!*
*For defeating your foes in combat, you receive 46xp!*

I guess Emotiv runs a therapeutic clinic as well?

oh dear...

Oh dear...they HAD to go and make a gaming control system that left the gamers' hands completely free didn't they. I shudder at the thought of what the Japanese are going to do with this...

sabishii

Arbiter
Last I heard, the "brain control" systems for people with brain diseases are hardly close to perfect. How is this going to work for gaming?

Lurkar

Scholar
sabishii said:
Last I heard, the "brain control" systems for people with brain diseases are hardly close to perfect. How is this going to work for gaming?

On the other hand, there's been some pretty fascinating work in the field of robots being used for prosthetic limbs

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
games for handicapped possibly.

SmokedWolf

Scholar
This is will demand 100% concentration fronm the player.

What ever happens to the system I will surely suck at it.

Herbert West

Arbiter
I'm all for mind controlled games, hell, I'd be very happy with voice controlled ones.

I remember using some clever application to controll Silent Hunter 3. It was simply great, I can say that using voice commands pushed the experience up a few notches.

Observe that despite huge advancements in nearly every technical aspect of gaming, we are left with the same means of interfacing- namely keyboard, mouse, pad or joystick.
Wii is certainly a step in the right direction, however introducing widespread and standarised voice controll would be much, much bigger. Controlling games with thoughts is the ultimate goal and it is within our reach.

Looking at the technical side of gaming, it's the hardware we use to controll games that's way, way dated. It should have been modernized at least few years ago.

denizsi

Arcane
First they will bring this to market. Then "stimulating" models will arrive which will slightly affect how you feel during games. Finally, you'll be brainwashed playing games before you know it. :conspiracy:

It would be one up on the Wii, I suppose.

Despite being the anti-thesis of Wii. No physical movement at all. :Zombification:

Kraszu

Prophet
Claw said:
This reminds me of these VR helmets. Does anyone here have one of those?

That is nothing like VR helmet, they basically just gave you monitor closer to your eyes.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Your brain can't keep up with your fingers, unfortunately. :(

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, anyway. The intertrons needs more people like you.

Kraszu

Prophet
Claw said:
Your brain can't keep up with your fingers, unfortunately. :(

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, anyway. The intertrons needs more people like you.

You write something retarded, and then blame me for pointing it out, nj. Your comment about VR supposed to be funny or what then?

SmokedWolf

Scholar
You guys like this? It is all about controlling thoughts! Think the wrong thing or wrong way and you lose without a chance at self-censoring your thoughts.

Usually you will think before you act.

Now there is just thought.

hmmmmm....

Didn't something like this get invented a few years back? From memory it worked by having your brain send impulses down your spine and through to your hands, carrying to you muscles complex commands AUTOMATICALLY sorted, prioritised and linked to your conscious thought. You don't even have to think of each individual message sent down, you just need the overall goal (like, 'make the retiscule point at the bad guy). The commands cause the hand to move in a particular way - and here's the awesome bit, a device called a mouse picks up the hand's movements, and translates them to the computer in a manner that commands the computer what to do. Wow. Linking the brain to the computer, what genius:)

Balor

Arcane
Don't worry, it will not affect you.
No device can control a non-existant brain :P.

Shoelip

Arbiter
What they need to invent is something like the Dreamer from Dreamfall, but without the death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom