Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

orcinator

Liturgist
Is there a mod that UnJayLeno's the protagonist yet?

Codex Year of the Donut
I played both this and Quantum Break, both had some weird noise going on that made it look like ass. Definitely wasn't a deliberate post-process effect(I hope), I think it was just the result of whatever temporal bullshit they use to make it not run like a flipbook on consoles.

mastroego

Arcane
So I got this in an ultra-cheap sale sometime ago. GOG version.
I needed something to try the new PC with RTX 3060 so this was handy.
I have a 1080p monitor so supposedly I should be able to run this at maximum right? So I put everything at maximum and even activated all the raytracing stuff.

It does run fluently, but at some point it totally glitched out.
A black patch appeared on the screen and then it spread everywhere until everything was black.
I even thought for a few moments that it could be some plot-related blackout effect, darn it, but it was weirdly generated, deep down I suspected a problem.
I could still move and all, a few things could even be spotted, but almost everything was black.

Had to restart the game to make it go away.
Now I've searched the net and it appears a couple of people did experience something similar. So I can hope it's a game bug and not a card issue?
Any other codexers had this happen with their rig?

Ezekiel

Arcane
autoHDR is cool in games. Preserves bright details without blowing them out like SDR, limited range color. The game's ray tracing works surprisingly well on this AMD card. Didn't expect to use much ray tracing when I bought it. I play usually above 60 now instead of 120 frames. Worth it.

Can tell this longwinded Alan Wake mission is DLC. Bought the complete edition a few days ago. Didn't own the game previously. The mission doesn't fit. The monsters don't fit. That's often the problem with DLC. They throw off the pacing of the campaign. Sometimes it's better to put it in the main menu or make it accessible in the world after finishing the campaign. (I don't remember if she stays after the ending. It has been about three years.)

Should have started this longwinded mission AFTER I got the thing that allows me to go into poison places. Finding a few areas in the maze I can't access.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Should have started this longwinded mission AFTER I got the thing that allows me to go into poison places. Finding a few areas in the maze I can't access.
It should be mandatory that all games with DLC should let you toggle it on/off in the game menu. Occasionally you can manually remove the DLC files or uncheck the DLC downloads in Steam but there's still way too many cases of irritating DLC intruding into base games that you can't do anything about.

The Alan Wake DLC triggers about halfway through the base game but can be played after the main story is complete. The other DLC kinda continues the main story and only unlocks after you beat the base game. Neither is that great imo, and I say that as someone who adores Control.

Be prepared for an annoying final boss fight in the AWE expansion.

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's like Peter Jackson releasing a special edition of King Kong and then in the middle he inserts a really long scene of Kong taking a shit, with his face in focus and everything. Yeah, let us disable the DLC until we are ready. You don't know that it's DLC until you're already far into it.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, that boss is dogshit. Gonna come back later.
I was raging hard. Only beat that fight after going and finding some of the overpowered easter egg unique weapon mods. I generally liked that the sidequest boss battles in the base game were significantly more challenging than the main story missions, but the AWE boss was horrible.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Don't see why every game has to follow Dark Souls so hard now. The Hedron Chamber boss with the big sphere. Why do I have to go back to the "bonfire" if the areas I previously cleared up to the point I died in are still free of enemies? It's dumb.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The red place after she's stuck in office worker limbo is like that too. Restart from "bonfire," go past areas you already cleared and are now non-hostile to get back to where you were.

Turned off ray tracing for 4K. It's more important on a screen this big, looks nicer. Too demanding, the rays, but I'm on AMD. autoHDR isn't perfect. Sometimes games look better without. Overall, still a net positive. But I've only tried Control and one other.

Ending credits came up earlier than I remember. It's weird... There are all these other areas I remembered in my first playthrough years ago. I didn't remember them being in a post-game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
control.jpg

It's that whole area with the yellow marker and the question marks that I remember in my playthrough years ago and that I can't access now. Wonder if my game is bugged. There is supposed to be an injured man sitting in front of the safe room. After you speak with him, the wall to the left should open and there should be a light switch to go into the motel.

Ezekiel

Arcane
FFS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/cyfz65/how_to_gain_access_to_sealed_threshold_hall/

"I'm commenting for the other poor bastards who are searching for this, you need to go directly opposite of the locked entrance for the hallway. Logistics is symmetrical, the right side has the hallway, you need to go to the left side and do a side mission. Godspeed my friends."

cntrl-fk.jpg

I kept looking around the other side because the YouTube videos and guides make the area on the parallel side look exactly the same and it's by the hallway leading to the area I was trying to find.

Guessing this is the last time I will visit the motel.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
This game seems CALCULATED to frustrate you.
If had gotten this at full price or even half price, I'd sue or something.
Fuck this game and fuck my completionism too.

At this point I'm cheating to finish it.
As much as I DESPISE doing it, the game is leaving me no choice.
The Anchor boss **required** cheating because even with a new, dedicated gaming machine it kept crashing.
I've tried every "fix" I've found on the net.
After you've tried 50 times, and after the only 3 or 4 times you managed to bring the monster down to 50% HPs are interrupted by the n-th crash, you freakin' cheat.

Then there's the Fridge boss.
I have no idea how many times I've tried. No idea. Hours and hours.
Crashes here only happened upon reloading. Not too often, but totally unrecoverable, requiring full a PC restart.
The problem here is almost entirely with the boss itself, ok, but it's enough.
I freaking HATE being forced to waste my time this way.
Even with desperate cheating, with 90% damage resist and almost instant ammo recovery, it still took like TEN additional tries.
Fuck this idiot game.

And I won't even talk about the annoying videos, or about other impossible bosses that kill you for the n-th time just because the keyboard button refuses to register once again, or because in all the mess out of a sudden you get a random bonus mission FREAKING ALERT screwing your vision and allowing you to be hit by the insta-kill missiles you were able to dodge until that point, and so on.

Fuck this game and whatever passed for play-test before releasing this insanity.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Anchor boss **required** cheating because even with a new, dedicated gaming machine it kept crashing.
After you've tried 50 times, and after the only 3 or 4 times you managed to bring the monster down to 50% HPs are interrupted by the n-th crash, you freakin' cheat.

Crashes here only happened upon reloading. Not too often, but totally unrecoverable, requiring full a PC restart.
Even with desperate cheating, with 90% damage resist and almost instant ammo recovery, it still took like TEN additional tries.
Fuck this idiot game.

And I won't even talk about the annoying videos, or about other impossible bosses that kill you for the n-th time just because the keyboard button refuses to register once again, or because in all the mess out of a sudden you get a random bonus mission FREAKING ALERT screwing your vision and allowing you to be hit by the insta-kill missiles you were able to dodge until that point, and so on.

Fuck this game and whatever passed for play-test before releasing this insanity.
My hardware isnt even optimal back then, i never really had crashes that bad. It would dip for sure, maybe you need to update some drivers ?

Fuck this idiot game.

worksonmymachine.png

mastroego

Arcane
My hardware isnt even optimal back then, i never really had crashes that bad. It would dip for sure, maybe you need to update some drivers ?

The machine is 3 months old, RTX 3060 + 32 GB RAM, the entire game is on SSD, it's not a hardware/driver issue.
You can find reports of the Anchor boss crashes from lots and lots of people, no matter the setup.
It's probably just a poorly tested encounter and doesn't work on some setups.

The game has shit difficulty spikes regardless.
And no slider, though you're allowed to CHEAT with options like "One Shot Kill" if you surrender to the difficulty, like I had to.
Thanks.

What a shitshow.
I only enjoy the powers (using them is cool WHEN THEY FREAKING WORK WHICH IS NOT ALWAYS) and I like the protagonist. Her appearance, I mean: beyond that, it's the usual annoying "cute introspective lass and shit".

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The worst boss is the fridge. It's not even that it's legit difficult. Most of my deaths (and there was A LOT) all came from falling through the floor. The boss keeps making holes in the floor of the arena and it's damn near impossible to fight it and keep an eye on your footing at the same time.

Anchor boss becomes much more managable once you realise you don't have to be standing directly in front of it to hit it's weak spot. You can hit it from far off to the side even if it doesn't look possible.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Wait, this game isn't the usual braindead spectacle simulator, infinite awesome button, by retards for retards fare? I just may pick it up then.

mastroego

Arcane
Wait, this game isn't the usual braindead spectacle simulator, infinite awesome button, by retards for retards fare? I just may pick it up then.

oh well, it's not a "story mode" game if that's what you mean.
It's legitimately difficult, but not consistently so.

Also, cutscenes and such are always present and they're annoying and often unnecessarily long. Even picking up plot documents and such can be annoying as it interrupts the flow of the game.
Anyway, to give a clearer overview, there are good things in this game, which makes the tons of frustrating things (big and small) in it even more enraging.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Mechanically, it's above almost any modern third person shooter. Wish the sequel had tacked on multiplayer. Some of the most fun I had in multiplayer was tacked on rather than the dedicated games where it's all hardcore. That died. "AI" is always pathetic as an opponent.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
The worst boss is the fridge. It's not even that it's legit difficult. Most of my deaths (and there was A LOT) all came from falling through the floor.
Yeah that happened to me quite a few times as well. User error, not the game's fault.

I found the anchor boss piss easy, but I died to that mould monster's grenades more than once.

kangaxx

Arbiter
If it's on sale I'd say it's worth. It didn't blow my socks off but it was worth it on sale. It looks nice too (not the protagonist).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom