Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cool Shit They Should've Done

Helton

Arcane
I'm playing PST. Fairly comprehensively, too, which means I'm trying pretty much anything which would make sense, so it's a bummer when things don't work.

Let's share the things which you really should have been able to do in our favorite games but couldn't.

*Spoilers*

I just got Ignus in my party and he taught me some of his tricks. Finger, Hand, Eye, and Intestines(cool!). How about my Severed Arm I found in the Catacombs? How about Xachariah's liver?

How about Morte's skull?

When I talk to the red zombie in the Mortuary who got burned by Ignus, with Ignus in my party... I wish there would be some kind of verbal exchange.

Anyone else?

Lumpy

Arcane
Helton said:
When I talk to the red zombie in the Mortuary who got burned by Ignus, with Ignus in my party... I wish there would be some kind of verbal exchange.
I don't think Speak with Dead works that way.

Helton

Arcane
Lumpy said:
I don't think Speak with Dead works that way.

"... I think I heard them shout Ignis, yeah something like Ignis."

"Ignus? I know him. In fact, he's right here."

"FIre! Brrn! Thisssss one spark familiar! Itssss was touched by my flames!!!!"

"No, no, no! Get it away!"

The corpse ignites and drops to the floor, still smoldering.

-Walk away before anyone notices.

Texas Red

Whiner
I wish you could report news in Arcanum. For example, you find out about the atrocities Schuylers are doing and they ask you not to expose them. You can disagree, saying how evil they are, but not really tell anyone.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ah yeah a lot of things can be done to further 'add in' the atmosphere of Arcanum. Like, recieving special quests due to your high tech / magic aptitude.

A simple courier delivering a letter of invitation to tech convention perhaps, or a secret order of mages etc. would suffice as a quest trigger.

Or every race has their own 'special quests' would be great.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I really wish Mafia had had multiplayer.

I really wish Vampire Bloodlines had had a good end game.

I really wish Ultima Nine hadn't sucked... Er, does that count?

Well I really wish AvP two had had deformable explosions, detailed models with lots of individual parts to dismember, and skirmish mode.

I really wish KotOR had more real choices or at least less fake ones.

I really wish Metal Fatigue had been supported at all.

I really wish Sins of a Solar Empire was in 3D, and had more depth.

I really wish Persona 3 wasn't so grindy.

I really wish Xenosaga hadn't had 3 games cut from the series.

I really wish Oblivion had been what I expected because then it might have been my favorite game ever.

I really wish someone would make another game like Die by the Sword.

Balor

Arcane
Shoelip said:
I really wish someone would make another game like Die by the Sword.

And mod it to accept Wii remote controls! Fuck, I'd PAY for a mod that will allow using Wii remote in original DBTS!

Mareus

Magister
In Fallout 1 when the Khans kill Thandi, and you return to the Shady sands, everyone starts attacking you. WTF?!

In Arcanum in the begging of the game you can chose to do as the ghost tells you, and kill the priest, or you can get to the bottom of everything and get the holy symbol back to the priest. But, you cannot ask the priest to release the ghost from his torment. I just find this a bit annoying, because it turns out you can just lie to the ghost.

In Deus Ex, there should have been a point where you could chose to join the rebels or stay working with Unatco. Also you should have the possibility to not get caught by Gunther.

In Bloodlines, you should be able to chose more different characters. You just have one male and one female per race.

In the Witcher, more dialog options.

In Baldur's Gate trilogy, more choices and consequences. Better playability for evil characters.

In Kotor, the same as Baldur's Gate.

In Kotor 2, last 1/4 of the game was awful. They should have finished the game. Hopefully Kotor2 restoration project will fix it.

In NWN, player controlable party. More tilesets.

In NWN2, better camera and AI of your party members. More choices and consequences and it was also rushed near the end. One of the worst endings in gaming history.

Oblivion... nothing can fix it.

That's enough for now.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Baldur's gate series not only would need more playability for an evil character, but also more evil NPCs that could join your party.

In BG2 almost everyone started bitching and leaving when you had a frenzy on random civilians, while the only NPCs that wouldn't give shit were uh... Korgan, Edwin, Sarevok, and uh... that's it I think. :roll:
(yes, I know that rampaging on civilians is a stupid idea, but it's the only way to get your reputation down to 0 in 5 minutes and see who'll leave)

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
Baldur's gate series not only would need more playability for an evil character, but also more evil NPCs that could join your party.

In BG2 almost everyone started bitching and leaving when you had a frenzy on random civilians, while the only NPCs that wouldn't give shit were uh... Korgan, Edwin, Sarevok, and uh... that's it I think. :roll:
(yes, I know that rampaging on civilians is a stupid idea, but it's the only way to get your reputation down to 0 in 5 minutes and see who'll leave)

It's already fixed by the mods which change the dispostion of your characters a bit more naturaly. You forgot to mention Viconia, Eldoth Kron, Kagain, Montaron, Shar-Teel Dosan, Tiax, Xzar. I also think that neutral characters just nag, but they don't leave. More than enough if you ask me.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I was talking about BG2, and I'm not a big fan of modding stuff.

Neutral characters also leave. My party was composed of Aerie, Minsc, Jaheira (no idea why I was keeping her though), Jan and Korgan the last time I played. Everyone left except Korgan, while Jan and Jaheira are neutral. Anomen, Haer'Dalis who were also neutral were leaving after your reputation was low too. The only neutral character that doesn't leave for sure is Yoshimo, but his reasons are easy to understand.

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
I was talking about BG2, and I'm not a big fan of modding stuff.

Neutral characters also leave. My party was composed of Aerie, Minsc, Jaheira (no idea why I was keeping her though), Jan and Korgan the last time I played. Everyone left except Korgan, and Jan and Jaheira were neutral. Valygar, Haer'Dalis who were also neutral were leaving after your reputation was low too. The only neutral character that doesn't leave for sure is Yoshimo, but his reasons are easy to understand.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the whole serie. And I really don't remember neutral characters leaving. Maybe I had the mod installed. Anyway, mods fix it so if you want to enjoy the game more I suggest you install the mod. Its really easy. You just put it into the BG folder and run it. I don't remember how the mod is called though.

Deleted member 7219

KOTOR 2 should have had a better ending.

Mass Effect should have been longer, 'extra' planets shouldn't have been so boring.

Jade Empire should also have been longer.

Gothic 3 should have had better performance.

The Witcher should have had better dialogue.

Oblivion should have been faithful to the Elder Scrolls series and not have been so dumbed down, with catastrophic design decisions like level scaling, hand-holding, quest compass and a linear main quest.

Bloodlines should have had fewer bugs and a better combat system.

That is all I can think of for now.

DraQ

Arcane
Helton said:
I'm playing PST. Fairly comprehensively, too, which means I'm trying pretty much anything which would make sense, so it's a bummer when things don't work.

Let's share the things which you really should have been able to do in our favorite games but couldn't.

*Spoilers*

I just got Ignus in my party and he taught me some of his tricks. Finger, Hand, Eye, and Intestines(cool!). How about my Severed Arm I found in the Catacombs? How about Xachariah's liver?

How about Morte's skull?

Anyone else?
Severed arm should work, but liver shouldn't - it wasn't even TNO's.
Moar red zombie dialogue = cool.

I was kind of disappointed after I discovered that random NPCs become more generic later on - zombies in Mortuary promised something delicious.

Starwars

Arcane
First thing that came to mind... Obviously we should be able to report Iguana Bob to the Sheriff in the Hub!

Texas Red

Whiner
FO 2 should have had BoS quests. You should be able to join them again, do quests etc.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:
FO2 had BoS quests. Finding vertibird plans at Navarro for example.

Hmm. "Quests" implies more than one quest. I'm still only counting one.
Unless you count finding the stat-up chips.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"AI of your party members"

Why? As per your NWN1 needs; NWN2 comapnies can be player controlled. Why the hell would people beg for player controlled NPCS then whine that the party AI sucks? It's illogical.

BG1 needs more role-playing.
FO1 needs better joinable npc mechanics.
FO2 needs to not have ripped off FO1's plot.
BG2 needs more dialogue choices.
KOTOR needs better combat.
BL needs better combat.
TOEE needs improved writing.
KOTOR2 needs less fanboys.
Bethesda games need to not exist.
JE needs to be a little longer to shut the crybabies up.
ME needs a better inventory.

Helton

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
I wish you could report news in Arcanum. For example, you find out about the atrocities Schuylers are doing and they ask you not to expose them. You can disagree, saying how evil they are, but not really tell anyone.

Excellent, that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. Makes sense, wouldn't be too hard to implement, and would have added a lot of "oh wow, cool" factor.

Starwars said:
First thing that came to mind... Obviously we should be able to report Iguana Bob to the Sheriff in the Hub!

Yeah, definitely.

DraQ said:
Severed arm should work, but liver shouldn't - it wasn't even TNO's.
Moar red zombie dialogue = cool.

I was kind of disappointed after I discovered that random NPCs become more generic later on - zombies in Mortuary promised something delicious.

Yeah I think The Burried Village is where the generic NPCs started being truly generic. I'm in the Clerk's Ward now and there are just two types, male and female, and the differences in their dialogue are extremely minute.

You're right about the liver, the whole idea is TNO has to have suffered at some point to gain his knowledge, but then there needs to be some use for the liver. Hell, maybe there is, I don't think I've ever had it before.

Lumpy

Arcane
You should've been able to overthrow both the queen and Vaklu on Onderon and put a democracy instead.

Chefe

Erudite
You should have been able to join King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You should have been able to be a pirate without repercussions in Space Rangers 2 because piracy is not stealing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom