Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Corpus Edax - FP melee RPG in which you kick like in Dark Messiah (though from the footage, even harder)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
How come no one made a thread about this game? Looks cool.

Steam store page.

"Create your character and make your own choices in this immersive first-person-melee RPG. Fight, talk or sneak your way out of confrontation. Your decision, is the right decision.
CORPUS EDAX is an immersive first-person-melee RPG that takes place in a city on a distant planet. Fight with your body, improvised weapons and ingenuity.

FEATURES_store_rectangle_features_noBG.png

• A Skills and A.G.N.I.S. (Allure, Grit, Nerd, Intuition, Strength) system. Place objects in the world to reach places or climb over fences, creating your own path. Locked door? Hack it. Or lockpick it. Destroy it. Or alternatively, seduce or convince a guard to open it for you
  • Dialogue system that uses the stats of your character for special dialogue choices, as everything contributes to dialogue.
  • Physically-based characters so you can throw pipes at the legs, arms or head and they will react as they should. Pick up a chair, throw it, swing it or kick it onto someone.
  • Faction reputation system. Branching dialogues offer choice and consequence so players have different experiences
  • Personal reputation in the form of 3 traits - Insight, Rapacity and Reciprocity. Almost every action you do will contribute to one of these 3 traits, unlocking new dialogue choices and reactions.
STORY_storeRectangles_Story_noBG.png

Almost a century ago, Humanity left Earth for a new planet due to catastrophic events rendering it unlivable to humans.

A previously unknown planet was found accidentally as it put itself in collision course with the Earth's ships. With nowhere to go, we settled here.

A new city was built, and with it, new rules and laws. Over the years its newly formed World Government struggled to rule a unified planet - one without borders, countries or nationalities - and an opposing faction called The Salvation was born out of anger and desperation for a better life.

After waking up from a medically-induced coma, you find yourself inside a newly built city called Corpus Edax. In one way or another, you'll get entangled in the fight for justice with The Salvation, as they see it, or in the fight for supremacy as you act as a double-spy for the Corpus Edax Security Forces.

Help shape the future of Corpus Edax, for a better tomorrow for your fellow Citizens (or not, your choice).

Release date: November 2023

Mature Content Description​

The developers describe the content like this:

Frequent hand-to-hand and melee combat with depictions of blood.

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel or AMD / 4 Core CPU
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / AMD RX 580 2GB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 5 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel / AMD 6 Core CPU
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA 1080 Ti / AMD RX 5700 XT 6GB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 5 GB available space
"

ADL

Prophet
Saw this a long time ago but forgot about it, thanks for the thread. 15 days left on the Indiegogo campaign. Threw $22 at it for a copy of the game. I really like the improvised environmental melee combat. Reminds me of Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay in a way.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i played the demo. short impression:

nice opening level. basically the demo is playing a premade character with his stat maxed up. combat actually feel responsive and not button mashy. you have to time your attacks and blocks. you can equip melee weapon and anything grabable can be a melee weapon. you can grab a chair, throw that chair to an enemy until it break on their face, then grab the broken chair leg to bash them to death.

you have the usual hacking minigame, but i think you only need to do it once per area / level. i hacked one computer, then if you pass it, the rest are automatic. dunno how this would work. becase there'll be no variety in lock diffilcuty. i still prefer deus ex one, but we will see. i think the dev wants to reduce the tedium of minigame while still having them.

the dialogue is new vegas style with skillchecks and all. since the demo has you playing a high level preset character, you'll likely can do anything.

i ended the demo due to a bug that i get stuck when lockpicking. twice i tried and got stuck in the same way. this has great potential to be a nice imsim.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Played the Steam Next Fest demo and did not like it. Incredibly mundane beginning that requires you to left click multiple times to get past dialogue nodes and once you get to your apartment building it's unclear what you're supposed to do (go to your apartment sure, but there are two that are open and I have no idea which one's mine, and there are computers but you don't have any passwords for them and when you hack them you get some bugged options that don't actually work). Tried to leave the apartment building and my character insists on going back up to your room, shut it down right there. I also loaded an autosave and found myself stuck in the door.

Culture war nonsense: there's a non-binary option in character creation of course and the TTN is 0, first character you see.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
apartment building it's unclear what you're supposed to do (go to your apartment sure, but there are two that are open and I have no idea which one's mine, and there are computers but you don't have any passwords for them and when you hack them you get some bugged options that don't actually work).

You need to go to sleep, there is a scrolling message at the top of almost every hall wall saying that it is "time to sleep or will be forced to" (or something along these lines, basically i guess sleeping time is enforced or something). IIRC there are three open rooms in the building and yours is at the top floor, it looks different from the others - and the bed can be interacted with (you can't sleep in the other rooms' beds). Once you sleep you get some vision/dream/whatever where some dude tells you to find some item in your room, from where you get other details on what to do.

After you wake up (and find the item) you can leave the building and from there you go to some more open area where you can explore (i found some gang that took over a hotel or something). There is some objective you can do though i just played around and didn't do that.

Though TBH at the end i'd agree that i didn't like it much. The start is incredibly slow and you're just fumbling around (yeah oh you follow the lines, but that's still boring and basically pointless, it isn't like in System Shock 2 where it is used as part of the character creation process). The combat is ok attack-wise but i don't really feel like there is much damage done despite maxing it out. Worse, even though i blocked, i was getting damaged anyway, though perhaps blocking/defense might have been a separate skill i ignored (i really just maxed out combat :-P). The game felt very "empty" and the (little) story i saw didn't grab me at all despite the whole "post apocalyptic sci-fi setting with an authoritarian regime you rebel against" setup is something i usually like. Also noticed a bunch of bugs, like NPCs trying to walk into walls, though i guess that is the prealphaness of the demo. On a more positive tone, there were a couple of skillchecks, i made a 33 year old character and got a skill pass dialog from that at the beginning, though the actual dialog was completely pointless. But at least the system is in place so perhaps the developer will put more later.

Overall i think the demo needed more work, some foundation is there to be somewhat promising, but there is very little to tell. That Q2 2024 release date seems incredibly optimistic, unless the developer means Early Access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom