Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy's (mostly technical) Witcher 2 Initial Impressions

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Got very busy with work so I haven't had much time to put into the game yet, but here are some early thoughts:

I'm disappointed. It's not that the game looks bad, it's actually quite gorgeous. The problem, as seems to be a continuing pattern with new games in the past year or so, is with its performance. And please remember, this is intended to be mostly a technical mini-review so looks and performance are all I'm going to concentrate on much and are all that I have to go on for my initial comments so far.

The Witcher 2, just like with Fallout New Vegas and quite a few other titles that've been released relatively recently, is running like shit, insert obligatory "at least on my rig" qualifier here. Even running at the Low detail preset, my system (specs below for the curious) only manages around 35fps average with it. This is with SLI enabled and being reported as working. Granted, I'm running at 1920x1200 but antialiasing at that detail level is completely off, draw distances are choked way back, and most of the "advanced" graphical features are disabled. You would think one could start there and build back up to discover the performance-kliling culprit, but when you only gain 3-4 fps by dropping from High or Medium down to Low, it's pretty clear something's going on. Tried latest WHQL Forceware and new Beta, no difference, BTW, different compatibility bits suggestions, etc.

Some online investigation points out that many other people are complaining about the same no SLI scaling/support issue, so it looks like more waiting until CDProjekt Red patches their new engine to properly support it, or Nvidia does their thing in Forceware. Sigh. It seems like this same kind of thing is happening more and more -- NFS Shift 2 Unleashed had exactly the same problem as did quite a few other supposedly A titles. They either get fixed or they don't.

So I don't have a lot to comment on other than the potential once the performance problem is worked out, and I have to say that I'm excited about just that. While I personally don't like Geralt's new appearance much, from his very different voice to his walking/running animations and so forth, overall, the game is very attractive. There is still some cleanup work to do, such as floating water textures above the ground and various other nitpicky items, but it's clear that this is the most attractive RPG to hit the shelves in quite a while, from a next gen 3D perspective. I love all the effects that are going on, the audio is great so far, and Triss's tits are modeled exquisitely.

Once I can enjoy all this at something resembling a decent framerate, I'll be able to actually dig into the game itself. Until then, and rage at this as hard as you want, I'll probably wait. After all, with this much work going into the game's visuals, I've got to do it justice. Right?

Oh, and before I forget: the black bars when running a 16:10 LCD? :roll: What's wrong, Pollacks? Not enough potato to afford better monitors?

----

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.4GHz
2 x EVGA GTX460 1GB SLI
8GB PC2-6400 DDR2 5-5-5-15
2 x WD Raptor RAID0
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And you made a topic just for the announcement? You would be a great PR guy.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some thoughts above. Sorry for such an obviously self-serving bump.

Anyone care to comment? Feel free to bash SLI because I probably deserve it by now.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Lol running with one (1) ATI 6870 1 GB with ancient Athlon II x4 processor and 4GB RAM, at high settings with bloom/blur/ubersampling turned off. Depth of field etc is on, highest possible textures settings.

Consistent 30-40 FPS.

SLI TROLOLOLOLO

I'm guessing your ubersampling is on.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
No, of course not. That's the first thing that got disabled.

Short of a complete o/s reinstallation I don't think there's much else I can do. Like I said, disappointing.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Trash, I know you're likely high on either petrol fumes or methamphetimines, or even both, but do please consider reading my original post.

But thanks, you Dutch adventurer, you. Appreciate the thought.

FatCat

Educated
Try turning off SLI and compare performance , there are confirmed problems with SLI/Crossfire.Most likely game utilizes only 1 card.

It's always been a rule of thumb to go for more powerful 1 gpu card instead of less powerful 2 cards.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
running with one (1) ATI 6870...highest possible textures settings...Consistent 30-40 FPS

Probably an Nvidia issue then?

They seem to to crop up now and then. Maybe because the xbawx is ATI?

Anyway, I haven't bought this yet. I wasn't a fan of the original witcher: would u guise recommend the sequel to someone like me?

: x

It does seem to be poorly optimized. I conclude this from the fact that lowering settings from High to Low preset don't do shit performance wise, yet it does make the game look a lot uglier.

I'm playing on E8400 (Core2Duo 3Ghz), 4GB RAM, GTS250 512MB. I played around with settings a lot, and ended up using these:
do5im8.jpg

On top of this, I have 16x Anisotropic Filtering forced from my graphics card panel.

FPS is mostly between 30-40, but I did get a few weird drops to 15 FPS in Flotsam. It's mostly stable though. Looks gorgeous too. Hope that is helpful to someone.

*EDIT* Updated settings for better performance. Slightly less pretty textures, and MUCH better shadows with SSAO plus no more drops below 30 and no stutters either.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Crispy said:
Trash, I know you're likely high on either petrol fumes or methamphetimines, or even both, but do please consider reading my original post.

But thanks, you Dutch adventurer, you. Appreciate the thought.

Must be the pain thinner but I simply don't get it. My pc is a dinosaur compared to the specs you posted and it runs fluid with 1280x800 with low settings. And that is with an Nvidia card. Must be one of those funny pc specific things I guess, or it's just the acid talking.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
i don't understand. I have a slightly weaker config, and the game runs smoothly on 1680x1050, on ultra high detail (except ubersampling). And I use the same OS as you. Maybe the SLI fucks with the game or I don't know. I'm not much of a tech expert.

Re: Crispy's (mostly technical) Witcher 2 Initial Impression

Crispy said:
Oh, and before I forget: the black bars when running a 16:10 LCD? :roll: What's wrong, Pollacks? Not enough potato to afford better monitors?
Even potatolanders know a dead technology when they see it.

Exmit

Scholar
Multidirectional said:
It does seem to be poorly optimized. I conclude this from the fact that lowering settings from High to Low preset don't do shit performance wise, yet it does make the game look a lot uglier.

I'm playing on E8400 (Core2Duo 3Ghz), 4GB RAM, GTS250 512MB. I played around with settings a lot, and ended up using these:
vici13.jpg

FPS is mostly between 30-40, but I did get a few weird drops to 15 FPS in Flotsam. It's mostly stable though. Looks gorgeous too. Hope that is helpful to someone.

good settings bro, i have the same fps as on lowest settings but shadows look tons better.

Might be also my imagination but when i changed from my 4:3 1280x1024 to 1280x768 a more '16:9' config all my stutters went away.

CD projekt said there will be a patch for 4:3 so maybe the game is currently optimised only for '16:9' configs, meaning their engine is shitty optimised currently, oh well .

Kraszu

Prophet

Futile Rhetoric said:
Crispy said:
Even potatolanders know a dead technology when they see it.

:decline:

Lets sell what's cheaper to manufacture as an technology advancement, and the sheeple will buy it.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I've played around in-game and had no FPS drops or lockups whatsoever.

i7 920@3.5Ghz
6GB DDR3 Ram
GTX 460 1GB

Rest is irrelevant, so I won't bother parroting.

Your gig should run the game fine, even my budget-ish GFX which has a few problems was able to handle the game in 1920x1020 with everything maxed, only bloom was turned off.

EDIT: Oh, the ubersupersampling option is also turned off as it affects performance too much, apparently.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Crispy said:

The game was designed to be ported to consoles asap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom