Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Croshaw talks dialogue design

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you've got the two characters who are having the conversation on screen, and down at the bottom of the screen you've got two circles, one for each analog stick. Each circle has its perimeter divided between various options, and you select the options by pushing towards the appropriate section with the appropriate stick.

He lost me there because I don't know anything about console controllers and it's sounds very minigame-y and consoleish anyways.

Meh.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JarlFrank said:
So you've got the two characters who are having the conversation on screen, and down at the bottom of the screen you've got two circles, one for each analog stick. Each circle has its perimeter divided between various options, and you select the options by pushing towards the appropriate section with the appropriate stick.

He lost me there because I don't know anything about console controllers and it's sounds very minigame-y and consoleish anyways.

Meh.

Yep. As often with good critics, his own ideas suck badly.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The dumbfuck is trying to fix the system that isn't broken in principle (implementation of the system hinges on the quality of writing, though) by replacing reading actual sentences with a moronic minigame. It reminds me of Ass Protocol revolutionary dialogue wheel.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I like the idea that the player does not have to remain standing in front of the NPC, rather you can have the conversation going on while your character does something else too. Only an interface-problem AND you could make some npc's get angry with you "not paying attention".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why the fuck would anyone be interested in Croshaw's opinion on dialogue design?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Brother None said:
Why the fuck would anyone be interested in Croshaw's opinion on dialogue design?

Because it's a fresh look. Croshaw is, in this matter, characterized by two things: His lack of knowledge on RPG, and his status as one of the only mainstream reviewers who bash the big guys. The first is fresh because it's not often you hear such reviewers commenting on RPG-mechanics (i.e. it gives you an outside view), the second is pretty obvious in and of itself.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Grunker said:
The first is fresh because it's not often you hear such reviewers commenting on RPG-mechanics (i.e. it gives you an outside view).

Rrrrrong. Mr Zero P is marked not by his lack of knowledge of RPGs, but by his sheer hatred of them. He does not like RPGs. He likes it when RPGs are less like RPGs and more like action games/shooters. Asking him for advice on RPG mechanics is like asking Kanye West how to improve Shostakovich's first symphony.

Brother None said:
Rrrrrong. Mr Zero P is marked not by his lack of knowledge of RPGs, but by his sheer hatred of them. He does not like RPGs. He likes it when RPGs are less like RPGs and more like action games/shooters. Asking him for advice on RPG mechanics is like asking Kanye West how to improve Shostakovich's first symphony.
No, he hates JRPGs. With a passion. He's never expressed any hatred towards western RPGs. Though he has said he rarely plays them...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^Take a look at The Witcher review and tell me he's not biased. He rants on the game because, get this, it has too many features.

Good critic? Where did you see one?

Good point.

Brother None said:
Grunker said:
The first is fresh because it's not often you hear such reviewers commenting on RPG-mechanics (i.e. it gives you an outside view).

You're right, but that doesn't negate the "outsider"-point.

dragonfk

Erudite
Brother None said:
Grunker said:

But, but...but he liked Dragon Age!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
dragonfk said:
Brother None said:
Grunker said:

But, but...but he liked Dragon Age!

And Mass Effect.

herp derp

1eyedking

Erudite
He liked them, he never said they were TEH GOOD.

In fact, he said everything else was shit but those games were just a bit less.

Grunker said:
^Take a look at The Witcher review and tell me he's not biased. He rants on the game because, get this, it has too many features.
He also complained about Oblivion being too complicated, and having to check the manual to figure out how to drop an item.

OK, he hates RPGs, but only because he's too much of a noob to fully understand them. And he still hates jRPGs more.

dragonfk

Erudite
If I recall correctly in his DA:O review he said it's shit but he can't unglue himself from the monitor. Or something in that manner.

dragonfk

Erudite
<subject name here> said:
Grunker said:
He also complained about Oblivion being too complicated, and having to check the manual to figure out how to drop an item.

OK, he hates RPGs, but only because he's too much of a noob to fully understand them. And he still hates jRPGs more.

So we ought to listen to a guy who's too stupid to understand what a cRPG is or should be? Come on, he's the harbringer of further decline of the genre...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dragonfk is essentially right, but I also think that makes it interesting to hear what he has to say on the core mechanics of RPG. Kind of an "Know your enemy"-thing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His idea of dialogue is extremely gimmicky and minigamey, it might be okay for a shooter where dialogue is a nice little side-diversion, a hack and slash or dungeon crawler, but a typical RPG where dialogue takes up at least 40% and up to 70% of your game time? No, definitely not. The silly persuasion wheel in Oblivion was getting fucking tedious after the 10th time or so already, and I doubt other kinds of minigames would be any less tedious if you had to do them throughout the whole fucking game, even if they're well-designed.

dragonfk said:
So we ought to listen to a guy who's too stupid to understand what a cRPG is or should be? Come on, he's the harbringer of further decline of the genre...
Knowing what the hell you're talking about is so last decade, yo. Ignorance is the FUTURE!

dragonfk

Erudite
<subject name here> said:
dragonfk said:
Knowing what the hell you're talking about is so last decade, yo. Ignorance is the FUTURE!

Care to elaborate on my ignorance?

dragonfk

Erudite
Less than our majestic horse I dare say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom