Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

Renevent

Cipher
If you had you way what game/sequel would you want made the most? For me it would be:

Arx Fatalis 2

The first is one of my favorite RPG's ever. The game absolutely dripped atmosphere, and the sound/music was very well done. Everything from your footsteps, enemies wailing when hit, to screams in the distance was extremely well done. Loved the game was focused on exploring the world, and really enjoyed the combat...even though it was fairly simple. It was brutal though, at least compared to Morrowind (similar game).

Temple of Elemental Evil 2

I love everything about the first game...well maybe not the bugs :P To me it was a great mix of exploration, combat, party building, and had the best D&D turn based combat ever done in a video game.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
In before zealous mods banish this to the void:

Fading Suns computer role-playing game with Planescape-style dialogue and Jagged Alliance 2-like combat.

Renevent

Cipher

Fading Suns computer role-playing game with Planescape-style dialogue and Jagged Alliance 2-like combat.

Is this breaking the rules or something?

likaq

Arcane
Bloodlines 2 or spiritual successor to Bloodlines
Crpg like AoD set in cyberpunk/sci-fi/modern day
Arcanum 2 or spiritual successor to Arcanum but this time without elves/ dwarfs/ magic ( pure steampunk, no fantasy-steampunk hybrid)
Darklands Remade

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Is this breaking the rules or something?

Oh, I wouldn't know really, it just seems to happen with commonly recurring topics. It is a nice one though.

And I agree, something new like Temple of Elemental Evil would be lovely, it was fun to play even in its somewhat incomplete state. A full proper game would be amazing.

Gwahlur

Novice
I would definitely want to see Darklands remade and expanded, it was such a characterful game.

The setting was fantastic, creating characters was great fun and I really liked the idea that magic = praying to the various Catholic saints for an intervention. Unfortunately, it had way too few different random encounters and way too few random quest types. Too little variety in general, I think, and also boring and simplistic combat. Still, I loved that the basic goal of the game was to try and become famous in medieval Germany. Even the manual oozed atmosphere.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I WISH someone would do something similar to Exult for Darklands. That would be fucking sweet. <3

Esquilax

Arcane
An RPG spinoff of Thief, set in The City and surrounding areas: you would have many different factions (Hammerites, Mechanists, Pagans, Keepers, corrupt politicians, Wardens/Thieves, etc.) and a truly unique setting with a lot of different possibilities as far as character skills are concerned thanks to the presence of technology and magic present within the setting. As far as steampunk is concerned, Thief's setting beats the shit out of Arcanum's, and I think Arcanum's setting is great.

Alternatively a modern-day RPG inspired by The Wire. Chris Avellone said that this would be his dream project, and I'd CUM BUCKETS if it were ever made. The potential would be huge: you'd need to sneak into places to get wiretaps, do completely unconstitutional and illegal shit to search people, plant evidence on a guy you know is a major local dealer. Killing would be a very serious thing, and something not done lightly. You might have to plant a gun on the perp or perhaps call in a favour from either one of your superiors that you've colluded with to avoid any further investigation. It would have a lot of elements of backstabbing, networking and moral dilemmas to face as well. You could also be an honest, by-the-book cop and watch everything you worked towards getting shit on as suspects go free and the system rewards incompetence, as well as the McNulty type who is willing to break the rules and be EXTREME to get results.

Gwahlur

Novice
A Sci-fi, full party creation RPG would be nice. Turn based, of course.

Definitely this.

As for the theme of the game, I'd like it to be somewhat "hard SF" and emphasize space/planet exploration, weird encounters and first contacts with alien species. Something like the novel and later text adventure Gateway, but done as a party-based RPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want an RPG inspired by 17th century Eastern Europe. You'd have muskets and pistols, but also a huge choice of different melee weapons and armours. There should be lots of slavic mythology elements, too.

BobtheTree

Savant
Either a Darklands update or sequel.

Also, would love to see a solid, old-school CRPG with a more original setting than fantasy, maybe sci-fi or mythological. Age of Decadence does have that vaguely historical setting, would love to see more CRPGs come up with distinct worlds like that.

Indranys

Savant
Historical fiction isometric CRPG with ancient Maya/Aztec culture like the stuff in Apocalypto film.
Historical fiction isometric CRPG in the time of Ancient Rome/Byzantium/Greece as envisioned by Alma Tadema (and the art design should also be like his paintings).
Dark Sun 3 or its spiritual successor.
Isometric CRPG with simulation and survival features in Hyboria/Conan universe.
Historical fiction isometric CRPG in Victorian/Napoleonic era (with or without steampunk theme).
Something like Jagged Alliance 2/High Caliber but with Apocalypse Now touch, and make it more realistic in Mercs department.
Teudogar 2: Now in Rome
Any decent isometric CRPG in low fantasy, grimdark, no magic, rather barbaric/dark ages setting.
And also like other bros said: Darklands remade etc.

That's all for now. :salute:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm conceptually working on what I'd like the most (just for fun), cuz I'm cool that way.

This is gonna sound weird.

Based on Scandinavian folklore - medieval'ish with creatures and beliefs from that time. The idea is that in folklore, changelings and children being abducted is very common.. but where are they taken? The setting is on another plane of existence (but still Earth), where humans abducted as infants are raised as thralls to Trolls and other creatures.
This plane of existence is based on the world of Vättar (eng: wights; http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vätte http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wight ) - visually pale and ghostlike but otherwise very much like humans with farms, settlements, livestock, etc. So it's a little Narnia'ish I guess? But Narnia is replaced by a creepy ghost-like world with creatures from Scandinavian mythology?

Visually, it should be inspired by John Bauer's folklore paintings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bauer_(illustrator) and 60s, 70s art and psychedelia. Because it's fucking groovy. Music should range from ambiance, folk, to funky folky prog-like stuff.
The narrative should be driven from the point of view of humans, having just learned of their "homeworld". What's it like? How can they get back? Outwitting trolls and other creatures for information and necessary items - classic folk tale stuff.

Primarily perhaps more of an adventure game, it should still leave plenty of room for RPG-like qualities. Stat-based combat, backgrounds (raised by trolls; accidentally stumbled into a world gateway; abducted by a mysterious fiddler), attributes (wit, strength, - perhaps have religion play a role as a resistance to otherworldly effects), skill-checks and so on.

This is the coolest possible setting I can come up with.

---

In general, I want narrative and story to be more defining than the setting itself. The exploration of a new world is cool though, so I'm fine with any fantasy or sci-fi setting really.
I'd want a "rich" single character game just as much as I'd like a party-based game. Think Fallout or Outcast. But since there's a shortage of party-based games, I guess that would be more welcome at this time.

As for sequels, my wishes are pretty much being granted by inXile and Obsidian.

Renevent

Cipher
That is a very, very interesting idea dude. The only part I dislike is:

" I want narrative and story to be more defining than the setting itself"

I think something like that, the setting itself basically defines the narrative.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I would like a RPG/strategy hybrid (not a RPG/RTS hybrid ala Spellforce), something like Birthright done right, or Mount and Blade, with turn based combat.
I second the turn based party based RPG in space, and darklands redone.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That is a very, very interesting idea dude. The only part I dislike is:

" I want narrative and story to be more defining than the setting itself"

I think something like that, the setting itself basically defines the narrative.
By narrative, I mean goals and objectives, common situations, encounters with norms of the (new) world, and so on.

The setting could be on a far-away ice planet. It could be in the uncharted jungles of the 1800s. It could be an underwater world. It makes a huge difference, absolutely, but even more important is "what are you doing there?". Are you an explorer? Looking for something? Are you escaping? Surviving? Are you alone? This defines the gameplay. The setting does not (well, perhaps things like, "it's melee combat centric because you use swords").

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm currently writing a paper for uni, about the view Teutonic Knights had on the pagans.
And damn, you know what? Medieval Baltic would be the perfect setting for an RPG. Base it on Christian as well as Baltic Pagan mythology, and leave out all the standard fantasy crap. You can have interesting characters with different viewpoints - some pagans who are tolerant of Christianity and worship Jesus along with their own gods, some Knights who are just in it for the honor and glory and don't see the pagans as enemies of christianity but as noble opponents in battle, some more radical ones who think all pagans are tools of the devil, etc etc.
You have several sides in the conflict - the Knights of course, then the pagans who fight them, some pagans who ally with the Christians to get protection from the knights, some christian cities who are opposed to the Order (Riga)... and it'd be a gritty and brutal setting without trying too hard. There'd be a lot of military campaigns of pagans and christians against each other, including the pillaging of villages by both sides. Merciless guerrilla warfare.
And in the middle of it, there could be a storyline with mythological elements. Something like in that Czech game Inquisitor, where you have to investigate dark rituals - only here it would be based purely on Christian and Pagan mythology, no fantasy crap at all.

That would be so awesome.

Wizfall

Cipher
JAG 3
Wizardry 9
King of Dragon Pass 2
A mechwarrior cRPG (like BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception)
A space opera isometric fix camera cRPG

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wargame story-driven RPGs in the vein of King Arthur, Daiteikoku and Sengoku Rance. Never too few of those!

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
After the awesomeness that was the adventure games by Legend Ent., I'd love to see an RPG based on Frederick Pohl's Gateway books. Won't happen though :(.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom