Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's a teeny, tiny thing, but I love that the Old North got reified. They're so often forgotten about! The only other game I've seen them explicitly portrayed in was Thrones of Britannia, maybe because games tend to go off public expectation more than historical fact. (And for several reasons, folks usually don't think through to the fact that Brittonic-speaking people filled the island all the way to Hadrian's Wall prior to the Migration Period.)

6EzOX7A.png

(And probably not what anyone here cares about, but West Africa's cultural map is super detailed; I wonder if that fragmentation will help prevent ahistorical blobbing in the region.)

6eCmADt.png

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
If you are going to play CK3, what will be your first playthrough? I think im going to restore true zoroastrian persia and become shahanshah. Or unite west slavs under Poland, i cant decide.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
If you are going to play CK3, what will be your first playthrough? I think im going to restore true zoroastrian persia and become shahanshah. Or unite west slavs under Poland, i cant decide.
I'll probably play Ireland just to familiarize myself and maybe a Catholic too after, like Brittany.

My first serious play will probably be Coptic.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Whatever the venn diagram is of "relatively fleshed out in vanilla" and "not going to get me flattened in a decade".

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Gotta wait on China before we get our Siberian nomads. :(

Found a cool mod that adds as far as Japan to the CK2's map, Tianxi. Might give some impression of what CK3 would be like post mystery DLC.

Although this kinda DLC doesn't really fit their new model (as per Stellaris and Imperator) where DLC mostly adds flavour, rather than whole new mechanics / parts of the game.

edit: nice, fanta :P i'm trying and failing horribly to do the monarch's journey challenges.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There was a pretty good "three kingdom" mod about china and the region. But i don't know if it is still supported.

I really dislike how restrictive CK2 is. You can't just revoke title based on religion or culture,you can't just force convert or genocide certain people. It is very unrealistic.

There's some stuff around Baikal but I'm not sure what those tribes are supposed to represent. I guess the Buryats? I'm kinda hoping for a Yukaghir or two, to be honest, although that's probably a bit too far to the north. Still, DLCs for the DLC god.

The main motivation I had when playing CKII was to take over the world as some obscure religion or heresy, preferably as the Tocharians or Sogdians or some similar Picto-Basques. Manichaeism is probably the best example but I did play as Paulicians, Bogomils, Cathars, etc. There were even some mods that added the Tondrakians but that seemed to do nothing. A proto-anarchist ascends the Roman throne... and nothing.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
There was a pretty good "three kingdom" mod about china and the region. But i don't know if it is still supported.

I tried it, but it felt too scripted to me.

When the World Stopped Making Sense is the one I was happy to see come back (starts just before Odoacer deposes Romulus Augustulus). I kinda hope Lux Invicta gets updated. Basically Sol Invicta Romans vs. Zororastrian Sassanids; haven't tried it but it sounds interesting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I tried it, but it felt too scripted to me.

When the World Stopped Making Sense is the one I was happy to see come back (starts just before Odoacer deposes Romulus Augustulus). I kinda hope Lux Invicta gets updated. Basically Sol Invicta Romans vs. Zororastrian Sassanids; haven't tried it but it sounds interesting.
I don't mind scripted,that way is more fun when you change the history :).

Zariusz

Arbiter
They should replace Aztecs with Atlanteans.
That certainly sounds better than hordes of half naked guys running wearing animal skins.

Actually it could be cool to have mod that adds mythical lands to world map. Like many legendary cities, wineta or that flooded city from brettonian legend.

But there is such a thing. At least for Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron.

Occultis Orbis Terrestere is a legendary mod that has been abandoned so many times its development became no less mythical than the lands it added.

I'm not sure if you can even join the Paradox modding community without abandoning that mod at least once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom