Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis: Modern Warfare multiplayer trailer

baronjohn

Cipher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... um8OgAIOWs

Surprise surprise, it looks EXACTLY like MW2, right down to the nextgen tint.

See, Crytek make a nice PC game with Crysis 1, but you internet morons shat all over it, so they gave up and now they're making MW clones.

Hope you're happy.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, a nice PC game where pretty much all they did was concentrate on graphics. We need more of that.

Raapys

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Raapys said:
Yeah, a nice PC game where pretty much all they did was concentrate on graphics. We need more of that.
bullshit

moran
Not sure how you could argue with it though. The shooting mechanics and weapon feel was average at best. The AI was poor. They obviously didn't spend any time on the story. The powers could have been a nice touch but ultimately ended up being boring. Multiplayer was dull.

Again, best game graphics ever produced to this date, but that's also all it had going for it. Well, that and decent though repetitive maps/landscape.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
baronjohn said:
See, Crytek make a great PC game with Far Cry, but you internet morons praised the hell out of it, so they gave up, made a tech demo and now they're making MW clones.
Fixed.

baronjohn

Cipher
Raapys said:
The shooting mechanics and weapon feel was average at best.
What criteria are there here? Anyway, even if the shooting was average, and I don't agree, it worked well with the suit powers.
The AI was poor.
Poor AI compared to what? In any case, the AI was fine. They could hear you, they shot where they last saw you, they supressed, they alerted each other, and most importantly they didn't just feel like unfair aimbots like in some games.
They obviously didn't spend any time on the story.
Yes the story was shit, but then again I don't remember any shooter with a decent story.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, that's kind of the point though, isn't it? Most shooters are poor. Be it because they think it's an easy genre to make and thus won't bother making much of an effort or the simple fact that there's so many of them. I'd say the Stalker series is one of the few which made a good effort in practically all areas. Decent enough stories, decent shooting mechanics and weapon feel, lots of weapons and weapon quality and customization, decent AI, decent graphics, excellent atmosphere, etc. Even some actual NPC interaction, exploration and side-quests, which is surprisingly rare in shooters. All improved further by a good modding community.

What the fuck? Shooting in Crysis is way better than Stalker. AI too, it just sucks that it is easily broken by silencers. It's good if you don't use them though. Crysis was probably last shooter that had the right idea in map design too.

Raapys said:
I'd say the Stalker series is one of the few which made a good effort in practically all areas.

:lol: Most elements in Stalker are shitty to mediocre, it just has an enjoyable combination of them and awesome atmosphere.

Raapys

Arcane
You serious? The shooting in Crysis was completely forgettable, while that in Stalker( well, modded one, been ages since I played unmodded) was excellent and actually took some effort, not to mention felt great.

baronjohn

Cipher
Well STALKER was better than Crysis, but it's a bad comparison. You gotta compare Crysis to straight action shooters like Far Cry, Doom 3, FEAR, and Serious Sam.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, I for one thought it was excellent in unmodded Call of Pripyat too.

And I'm not sure exactly what elements you think are 'shitty' and which games you think do them better. Sure, they're not great, which is why I called most of them decent instead, but shitty?

Raapys

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Well STALKER was better than Crysis, but it's a bad comparison. You gotta compare Crysis to straight action shooters like Far Cry, Doom 3, FEAR, and Serious Sam.
We all know Halo is king of those :M

Anyway, I guess I've just got a bit tired of those kinds of games after...well, Shadow Warrior? I immediately fell in love with Strife when it came out since it actually took a different approach; you had all the elements of the other shooters out there, and then you had a layer which they didn't and which actually gave the game some sense of purpose.

baronjohn

Cipher
I don't have many good memories of shooters. Duke3D was good. Shadow Warrior was crap. Quake 1 was crap. Quake 2 was awesome. Half-life was good for what it was. Halo was crap.

The King of shooters, of course, is Cyclones.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, been forever since I played Cyclones. But yeah, Duke3D was great, and I thought both Quake 1 & 2 were decent when I played them, mostly mutliplayer. Had some fun in MP with both Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage too, also made some maps and stuff. The Build engine was kind of cool to mess around with.

Then there was Heretic and Hexen, which were good. And you had those other medieval shooters/melee games, Witchaven? Not really good, but cool atmosphere, weapons and items and stuff. Then Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, which was awesome. The AvP games were also good. Later you also had Rune, which I rather liked at the time.

Definitely been some good ones throughout the times, but it seemed that after Half-Life they all sort of blended together, becoming just the same game with different weapons and enemies. Just like what happened with the Build engine games, with the exception of Strife which brought NPCs, dynamic world and whatnot into the mix.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crysis at least WAS a FPS rather than a Operation Wolf/Operation Thunderbolt style corridor shooting gallery masquerading as an FPS with the ability to move forward or left or right yourself(you don't go back as then you never stop the spawn trigger) like almost every other AAA 'FPS'. I didn't like Crysis much then, but now after seeing what has happened to the FPS, it's a fucking gem in comparison.

@ Rappys you forgot NOLF which also was a great FPS, long, lots to do, stealth levels, varied locations etc.

Half-Life was fucking great. Fuck the haters, it did the puzzles mixed with FPS bit perfectly, and even though I didn't like HL2 or Doom 3 much at the time, I now have come to see that 2004 was pretty much the last hurrah of the FPS before it became a regenerating health, corridor shooting gallery with respawning hordes. In COD the spawns made sense to give a more epic feel and after shooting enough enemies they would stop spawning or run away allowing you to draw breath, look around etc. In subsequent games, the need to constantly move forward to stop the spawns and to trigger the next awesum! scripted sequence turned the FPS into a Who Shot Johnny Rock or Mad Dog McCree parody....

FUCK IT.

Peter

Arcane
Yup, looks exactly like MW2. No further comment than that though, since I still haven't gotten around to playing Crysis.

What really bugs me, though, is that fucking Prodigy song. THERE ARE OTHER SONGS TO USE IN YOUR VIDEO GAME TRAILERS, GOD DAMN.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, NOLF was good. BLOOD was cool though, and probably others I'm missing.

Half-Life was definitely a good game; it pretty much 'perfected' the corridor fps genre. Still, if not for its success I think we might have ended up with more diverse fps games in later years. It sort of became the recipe for all the other developers.

@Peter, yeah, kinda embarrassing for them. Guess they didn't have time to change it, or just couldn't be bothered watching the DNF trailer.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
baronjohn said:
You gotta compare Crysis to straight action shooters like Far Cry
That's the problem with Crysis: it fails the comparison to its predecessor quite badly. They're exactly the same type of game, carrying forward the same strengths (large open levels, beautiful graphics, better-than-usual AI) and the same flaws (the stupid trigens/aliens, the stupid gimmick levels), but Crysis managed to downplay the strengths while focusing even more on the flaws (except for graphics maybe, but that alone doesn't make a game).

Duke3D was good. Shadow Warrior was crap. Quake 1 was crap. Quake 2 was awesome. Half-life was good for what it was. Halo was crap.

The King of shooters, of course, is Cyclones.
You'd better be joking. Q2 better than Q1? Fucking Half-Life better than Q1? SW is crap? Fucking CYCLONES is the king? Aside from the interface novelty that game was the definition of mediocre. Unless you had the CD version, at which point it jumped to "mediocre game with FUCKING AWFUL BRIEFINGS".

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Raapys said:
Yeah, NOLF was good. BLOOD was cool though, and probably others I'm missing.

Half-Life was definitely a good game; it pretty much 'perfected' the corridor fps genre. Still, if not for its success I think we might have ended up with more diverse fps games in later years. It sort of became the recipe for all the other developers.

@Peter, yeah, kinda embarrassing for them. Guess they didn't have time to change it, or just couldn't be bothered watching the DNF trailer.

I disagree with HL being the perfect corridor FPS or that it paved the way for the 'corridor' FPS. There was backtracking, puzzles, stuff which was pretty much in many games of the time. If you really look at it, it's no different than Quake 2 or Doom or Dark Forces as a 'corridor' shooter. Even so, the HL style didn't catch on, only HL2 really carried on this style, after HL we still got SS2 and DX as further advancements of the genre along with Thief at the same time. We also had the FPS/tactical Rainbow Six, Hidden and Dangerous(where my H&D 3 fuckers!?) and so on.

Halo was the prototype of the FPS of the 2000's., and COD became the standard bearer, particularly with COD 2.

ortucis

Prophet
I read somewhere that PC won't be getting Crysis 2 demo. Consoles, yes of-course.

ortucis

Prophet
Alexandros said:
Actually the demo is 360 only. M$ paid the big bucks, so...

Oh, OK. We should ask those PC Gaming Alliance retards to pay for PC demo. They'll save us..

Choose your player: PC Gaming Alliance

microsoft.gif

amd.gif

capcom.jpg

microsoft.gif

dell.gif

intel.gif

nVidea.gif

microsoft.gif

razer.jpg

sony.jpg

epic_games.gif

microsoft.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom