Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cutting shit up in real time (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)

Heresiarch

Prophet
Btw, I JUST discovered that you can ENHANCE your main weapon (press X on the pad) during customization and increase its damage and other performance. The only hint the game giving you about this function was the obscure "X: Customization" in the lower left corner in the customization screen and when you are highlighting a weapon. I bet many people has beaten the game (several times over too) without ever upgrading the weapons...

Heresiarch

Prophet
Just beaten the game. The final boss do have a bit too much QTE compared to all the others, but hey it was fun and crazy and shit like that.

Now...I'm actually having a desire to play MGS now (never played one before).

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
By Parry do you mean standard blocking or the counter attack? If the latter then you definitely don't need it for the bosses. If the former... how did you even get that far? Were you dodging the entire time?
Standard blocking. It was basically me getting dodging down to a fucking science, having a really loose grasp on how parrying works, and plain old luck. Admittedly got hung up on Monsoon for awhile and had to learn how to parry a little better to get past him, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the amount of times Sam kicked my teeth in.

dunno lah

Arcane
Just beaten the game. The final boss do have a bit too much QTE compared to all the others, but hey it was fun and crazy and shit like that.

Now...I'm actually having a desire to play MGS now (never played one before).

Bro, make sure you play the MSX games. MG2 especially.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Thanks to this game, it has aroused my curiosity in MGS series and I've looked upon some stories of the characters and the games. And shit, it's fucking dark and hardcore as hell (i.e. the Beauty and Beast Squad's background stories) and makes western games such as Deus Ex look so tame or even pussy-like. Then I checked out the gameplay movies and they're actually very decent. Better shooters than Deus Ex/DXHR, tons of realistic weapons, awesome dialogues/codecs, blahblah. They're actually Alpha Protocol done right. It's huge pity they're never ported to the PC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks to this game, it has aroused my curiosity in MGS series and I've looked upon some stories of the characters and the games. And shit, it's fucking dark and hardcore as hell (i.e. the Beauty and Beast Squad's background stories) and makes western games such as Deus Ex look so tame or even pussy-like. Then I checked out the gameplay movies and they're actually very decent. Better shooters than Deus Ex/DXHR, tons of realistic weapons, awesome dialogues/codecs, blahblah. They're actually Alpha Protocol done right. It's huge pity they're never ported to the PC.
I love the MGS series, like the lore, the gameplay. That said, you really have to be in the right mindset to enjoy the dialogues, because they can be corny and convoluted. But beneath that campyness, there are amazing stories.

dunno lah

Arcane
Really? I think Beauty and the Beast were the worst bosses in MGS games, lore-wise. They were fanservice T&A characters with lulzy dialogue. I also didn't like the disruptive lore dumps right after beating them. Felt damn unnatural compared to previous games..

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Which MGS games are you talking about? 1-3 had bad controls and the top-down perspective was a poor choice for a stealth game, I wouldn't say those are better shooters/stealthers than Deus Ex (I think the MGS boss battles were pretty good though). The story/lore aspect, I don't see how DX or other western games (Splinter Cell?) are "pussy-like" compared to the pretentious, pseudo high-brow stuff of MGS. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, but it has a lot of flaws.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I also didn't like the disruptive lore dumps right after beating them. Felt damn unnatural compared to previous games..
Don't think that was necessarily the problem (after all, MGS1 did the same thing, and it arguably had the most fleshed out bosses in the series), but instead the fact that their backstories were just so outlandishly bleak and macabre that it just came off as cartoonish. It made them seem less like actual people who were changed by the horrors that war brings and more like bad fanfiction characters with extremely overwrought backstories made specifically to make them come off as more sympathetic.

That and MGS4 was probably the most outwardly homo-erotic game in the series next to Peace Walker.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Are you on drugs?

Because it's either that or you live in an alternate universe with a very different MGS series from the one I've been exposed to.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Which MGS games are you talking about? 1-3 had bad controls and the top-down perspective was a poor choice for a stealth game, I wouldn't say those are better shooters/stealthers than Deus Ex (I think the MGS boss battles were pretty good though). The story/lore aspect, I don't see how DX or other western games (Splinter Cell?) are "pussy-like" compared to the pretentious, pseudo high-brow stuff of MGS. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, but it has a lot of flaws.

Well, the "pussy-like" comment was derived from that, from the limited MGS stories I've read so far, they're not afraid to use very strong themes and messages (real-life war, child killing, torture, etc.) which I don't see a lot in western games (which is normal because Japs are crazy in storywriting). Deus Ex and other western games set in the modern or near-future world may have discussions over war or cruel acts, but they're never too explicit and are mostly pretty tame in background story writing (which is once again normal since western society loves to bitch anything in video games from religion to references of real war to child killing).

Not necessary DX and other games (never played Splinter Cell before) have shitty plots or something, but for me it's pretty refreshing reading MGS's more brutal and dark stories (and, well, depending on your view, cartoonish), as the darkest stuff I've tasted on PC (in which 99% are western games) so far is only Witcher grade.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Well, the "pussy-like" comment was derived from that, from the limited MGS stories I've read so far, they're not afraid to use very strong themes and messages (real-life war, child killing, torture, etc.) which I don't see a lot in western games (which is normal because Japs are crazy in storywriting). Deus Ex and other western games set in the modern or near-future world may have discussions over war or cruel acts, but they're never too explicit and are mostly pretty tame in background story writing (which is once again normal since western society loves to bitch anything in video games from religion to references of real war to child killing).

Not necessary DX and other games (never played Splinter Cell before) have shitty plots or something, but for me it's pretty refreshing reading MGS's more brutal and dark stories (and, well, depending on your view, cartoonish), as the darkest stuff I've tasted on PC (in which 99% are western games) so far is only Witcher grade.
I never percieved MGS as darker in comparison with western games. The only thing that imo can make it seem more serious, is that it's more grounded in reality (if we ignore the goofyness), referencing real events and conflicts etc. But for me its no different if a game with harsh themes is "realistic" or has a fantasy or far future sf setting.

Caim

Arcane
Is it just me, or does this guy look a bit like Armstrong?

J.M.-Ayrault.jpg

Caim

Arcane
He kinda looks like Spider Jeruzalem to me...

Who, come to think of it, should have a fapping arm that big given how not-laid he got over the series.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Spider Jerusalem getting laid was the worst part in Transmetropolitan. It ruined a fundamental aspect of the series, which was that the last time Spider got laid the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Caim

Arcane
But come to think of that: if they can do all sorts of crazy shit with genetic engineering in Transmetropolitan, wouldn't that mean they have actual dinosaurs roaming the Earth again?

I mean it's just my opinion, but I think that if we got to that tech level we'd be Jurassic Parking it up like there's no tomorrow. Because science and Velociraptors and all that jazz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom