Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Cyberpunk 2077: Mike Pondsmith interviewed at Rock Paper Shotgun

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, Godfather or any gangster movies are essentialy punk and would totally be cyberpunk if played in a futuristic world?

My god

Shit got real
I don't think the Godfather counts since it's not about some low-level punk who remains low-level. At the end of GTA3, every crime organization in the city wants the main character dead and all his allies are either missing or dead. Note that he didn't say any of the other GTAs are 'punk (since they end up with the PC owning everything, cept for 4 and its episodes anyway)

hiver

Attack you? Nice self entitlement paranoia. No, not really... but now i will. A little bit.

First, you apparently cannot differentiate between Mikes own "cyberpunk" and what setting and style he likes for it.
And what the whole core ideas of cyberpunk as the genre are.
He says in the video he doesnt think cyberpunk as a genre is about transhumanizm - and he is right, it isnt. Although transhumanizm and cyberpunk intersect very often.
He apparently only sees transhumanizm as improving and bettering the whole society - a sort of progress towards general utopia - but thats just one side of transhumanizm.

He prefers, gritty dystopian settings - which cyberpunk often uses - but thats not GTA.

He says " In cyberpunk world, i realized that people had the technology, but that dint fundamentally change the fact that there was lots of treacherous, nasty behaviour, large weapons and a lot of serious danger all about."
He says "The important part in Cyberpunk is just that. its not the technology - its the feel, its getting that dark gritty, rain street feeling -"

But right after that he says "The cyberpunk is about interface between people and technology, but not in that transhumanist way where its all about technology changing our...-unintelligible-... its about how humans use things"
"Cyberpunk isnt about saving humanity, its about saving yourself."
Then he quotes Gibson line about street finding ways to use tech in unintended ways.

from RPS

“In the end, there has to be the right atmosphere. All echoes and dark city caverns. The right level of engagement. A world of human scaled characters fighting inhuman organizations, using technology to level to odds – but not to become supermen.”
/
Deus Ex always felt more like a conspiracy game than a cyberpunk game to me. Mirror’s Edge is great, but too clean. System Shock and Oni [from Bungie] are also good. Perfect Dark. Ghost in the Shell. Matrix. And Grand Theft Auto 3 is basically cyberpunk minus the hardware.

So he basically likes the dark, gritty atmosphere, and cool stuff - without any other implications or complications.
He has this view that people use the tech but that doesnt change them - because he dislikes people becoming this retarded idea of enhanced supermen and goody two shoes and everything becoming a super duper disney park.

WHICH IS SOMETHING THAT CYBERPUNK IS NOT FUCKING ABOUT AT ALL! NEVER WAS!!
Thats the idea of positive utopian transhumanizm.

So you should take that line about GTA in this context. Instead of thinking and claiming that GTA is cyberpunk in the sense of primary features of the genre.
Which it isnt. It just has some secondary general features that Cyberpunk uses, sometimes.

To claim that cyberpunk and its actual primary features do not change humans as individuals and society as a whole, at all, on any level - is utterly dumbfucking stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To claim that cyberpunk and its actual primary features do not change humans as individuals and society as a whole, at all, on any level - is utterly dumbfucking stupid.

Then go ahead and tell Mike Pondsmith about it, because apparently he doesn't feel the need to even mention this primary feature in a 4 minute video about what he thinks cyberpunk is.

hiver

He is just some guy that took a setting already established and made a P&P game out of it.
He obviously likes only a certain aspect of it, the noir atmosphere and what you could call the "punk" of cyberpunk and completely denies the rest.

As far as it comes to his game he can say whatever he wants. When it comes to cyberpunk at large his opinion means shit.
What he mention's or not is irrelevant. He doesnt get to define what cyberpunk is.

And really even his own setting contradicts such logic. Its happening in the future society changed by the technology, he has mega-corporations above the laws, cyber ninjas and these psychopaths from the trailer and so on.

Look, one of the cyberpunk primary features is exploring and juxtaposing advancement of technology versus ingrained negative tendencies and behavior of humans.
Thats the Cyberpunk rebelling against the utopian visions of future so prevalent in previous generation of science fiction writers and their works.
But that doesnt apply to every single human and that doesnt mean there are no changes at all.

-edit-

and repeating "that video" after i took the time and explained it to you.
or going for appeal to authority "go and tell that to Mike!"...

No, im saying this to you because youre post about me mixing transhumanism and cyberpunk.

Don't tell that to us, tell it to Mike Pondsmith. He doesn't agree with the "Cyberpunk = TRANSHUMANISM" thing. For him it's more about how humans use technology than how they're changed by it.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-thumb-200x136-155468.gif

pistletoe

Educated
GTA III is cyberpunk minus the hardware?

What? How is that cyberpunk?

Can somebody explain cyberpunk as a gerne to me? Because it looks like my definition of it is very wrong.

No idea why he said that.

-GTA is shit, and not an RPG.
-Rockstar is shit, and the last game dev CDPR needs to look at.

I sure as hell hope they aren't listening to this guy too closely...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You are totally missing the point, he was not speaking about 'what is a crpg' but more about setting and story, what are examples of cyberpunk.. don't worry too much, I rather trust Pondsmith over CDP

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought GTA3 was more noir than punk. Of course Blade Runner is very noir too, and it's cyberpunk, so maybe it works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom