Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

deuxhero

Arcane
The original did a good job of making PF not shit. I still don't think it can totally fix 5E because the foundation for that system is far, far worse, but it's a big improvement.

Mortmal

Arcane
If we're talking superior non-official 5E news, Spheres of Power/Might port to 5E has been released, adding actual character progression and character building choice. Since it's all OGL, here's the wiki with the content.
http://spheres5e.wikidot.com/
Shadow of the demon lord is doing this better. Picking everything you want and light on rules.

laclongquan

Arcane
We saw that with comics, we saw that increasing on TV and Movies, and we will keep seeing it until folks in charge realize the woke cult is ruled by idiots and it's corrupt as hell.
Unfortunately the woke cultists are usually quick enough to get in positions of power, so they will not stop until DnD is dead and then... Bought by the Chinese, I suppose?
Not likely. Chinese might buy it if they plan to resell to the West. For their own domestic market, they can make their own system, because face it, Chinese fans of DnD system is a minor (in term of absolute paying sector) group.

deuxhero

Arcane
If we're talking superior non-official 5E news, Spheres of Power/Might port to 5E has been released, adding actual character progression and character building choice. Since it's all OGL, here's the wiki with the content.
Shadow of the demon lord is doing this better. Picking everything you want and light on rules.

That's exactly 5E's problem, so I don't know how that's supposed to be a fix.

Mortmal

Arcane

Well light rule could be considered a strengh, there's nothing preventing to play something else if you want more complex rules. Flaws are lack of versatility, only a few templates worth picking.

Gyor

Savant
They released feywild races for the UA Owlfolk, rabbitfolk, and faries etc. Doubling down on the free assign ASI only and added a option for assing 3 +1s any where.

Heres some random 5e kickstarter i found with five hours left in it cause shit anything is more interesting than official 5e news nowadays

Rumour was that we are getting a Feywild adventure this year, but I was surprised by Feywild Player options like this.

Alot of speculation is that they are for an MtG setting (Strixhaven/Eldraine) or Mystara, but I'm like it straight up name drops the Forgotten Realms in the Hobgoblin section, and the Dragon themed subclasses used Bahumet as part of an example origin. Undead Patron name dropped Ravenloft Darklords as a hint that Ravenloft was coming, so you add it up, these new options are for a Forgotten Realms book. Perhaps it ties into whatever story line the FR MtG set is going to have.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I wish there was a popular ttrpg that was heavy on rules but with a ton of options. I am never going to be interested in an "amateur improv with orcs" game.

Bara

Arcane
This is third party related but pretty sad state of affairs.

So apparently some folks released a third party supplement for 5e and Pathfinder 2e called Asian Spell Compendium along with their entire "Far East" product line and issued a apologies for releasing a racist product after the recent shootings in America because it makes Asians into some mystic other.

Though honestly I don't know if the books that were listed were any good in the first place and may have been just utter garbage. I've never even heard of this publisher before now.

Codex Year of the Donut
rmQ13LS.png

reminder to pirate everything made by people who want you to die, especially because it also upsets the people who want you to die

deuxhero

Arcane
Though honestly I don't know if the books that were listed were any good in the first place and may have been just utter garbage. I've never even heard of this publisher before now.

They were actually one of the better PF1 publishers. This is pretty much a self destruct they'll never recover from.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
rmQ13LS.png

reminder to pirate everything made by people who want you to die, especially because it also upsets the people who want you to die
You want to take action versus a company you don't like? Don't buy their product and don't use it. It's called boycotting.
Pirating is not boycotting, it's being a petty parasite who makes up excuses for being a cheapskate.

If pirating would hurt the companies, I would do nothing but seeding the whole Disney and Constantin catalogues 24/7. Alas, it doesn't. They even take pride in the fact that xyz has been the most pirated series/movie/game/... of all time. So stop pretending your self-righteousness is activism.

Cael

Arcane
rmQ13LS.png

You want to take action versus a company you don't like? Don't buy their product and don't use it. It's called boycotting.
Pirating is not boycotting, it's being a petty parasite who makes up excuses for being a cheapskate.

If pirating would hurt the companies, I would do nothing but seeding the whole Disney and Constantin catalogues 24/7. Alas, it doesn't. They even take pride in the fact that xyz has been the most pirated series/movie/game/... of all time. So stop pretending your self-righteousness is activism.
And yet, their argument is that pirates hurt their sales and is stealing from them, which is why they championed laws to make it illegal to pirate their stuff. So, which one is it?

Gyor

Savant
This is third party related but pretty sad state of affairs.

So apparently some folks released a third party supplement for 5e and Pathfinder 2e called Asian Spell Compendium along with their entire "Far East" product line and issued a apologies for releasing a racist product after the recent shootings in America because it makes Asians into some mystic other.

Woke stupidity. The shooting was driven by social conservatism and the wave of hate crimes against Asians isn't driven by some mystical otherness, but by folks blaming Asians for Corona like idiots and frutration at the fact that China, not America is the worlds leading Superpower, with India rising to Superpower status as well.

Bara

Arcane
Well one of the celebrity writers for Candlekeep Mysteries seems to be on bridge burning mode with WoTC now.

Apparently hes not happy that they edited out a lot of his lore and added the word primitive to describe a faction of frog people or something?

Also debating if I should throw worthless updates like these to the Game Drama section or if its wotc related just keep it in the 5e thread.

For something less drama related for 5e DC's comics The Last God is getting a trade paper back this August.

large-9620500.jpg

Decent if edgy at times fantasy comic at least better than a lot of modern comics. Some what 5e related as it'll include "Tales from the Book of Ages" in it which was their campaign source book for 5e.

Bara

Arcane
Okay some actual (third-party) news for 5e. Chris Metzens new studio Warchief gaming unvieled their new project

Bara

Arcane
all this third party stuff is nice but it doesn't fix the issue that 1d20 is fucking awful

d20 is fine but if you really dislike it could always just swap it the dice.

I've played in a couple games before where the DM did 3d6 instead of a d20 and to get a dice range of 3 - 18 and then assigned a -2 ~ +2 to depending on how difficult the action is or the player description of their attack and how it takes advantage of the situation.

Drew

Savant
I want to do exactly that, use 3d6 (or maybe I'll go truly insane and use something like 5d5-4) as the core roll instead of 1d20, but I'm
A) Dming for a group that includes several brand new players and I don't want to overburden them with learning their class and their allies, and learning that half of what I'm telling them won't apply to anyone else's game because for some reason I'm the only person who thinks that having the same odds of doing a task perfectly as doing it normally is asinine.
B) using roll20 to play. you can change the dice in roll20, but then I'm at the issue of manually checking every single roll for criticals which is a pain in the ass because it doesn't automatically show each die, just the sum, and if I use their basic automatic system for checking for criticals from a multi dice roll, it just doesn't work. It works great for a single die, you can do things like 1d20cs20cf1 to set the critical success to 20 and the critical fail to 1, but if you tell it 3d6cs16 in checks each d6 individually for a 16 and obviously that never happens. So since the simple tool doesn't work, my options are manually check every roll that should be a crit and hope I never miss one and that it doesn't overwhelm the new players, or write a script extension for r20 to do what I want. Except I can't actually write the script, since their API isn't exposed unless you pay them $100/year.

Bara

Arcane
I did not know roll 20 has nothing to acomedate that that does suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom