Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

Dyspaire

Cipher
It's disheartening to think that the future of D&D is in the hands of people that would approve this.

I would think even the new influx of players over the last decade, the ones that got into it because of Critical Role and its like...
when they're actually playing it around a tabletop, I can't see this being the experience even they would want in a video game adaptation.

Never ceases to amaze me how out of touch marketing experts are with their target demographic. Someone got paid to approve this.

Vapid

Learned
Fratboys' Renaissance Fair - the Game. TOTAL FUCKING GAR-BITCH.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Between this POS and proven RPG developer Hidden Path making a "AAA" D&D game (are they even a studio capable of this?), it sounds like Wizards is making alllllll the right choices with its franchise.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's disheartening to think that the future of D&D is in the hands of people that would approve this.
D&D has a long history of really, really bad video games.
Yes, starting with Baldur's Gate. :M

The Gold Box games, by contrast, are classic CRPGs.

YaIYt7q.png
pPwQdqO.png

TZEJ4q0.png
sWqTXwh.png

7OBXk8a.png
2xytkkE.png

VCDrL3n.png
Tcm73bY.png

wZCWsEm.png
zleI047.png

ADL

Prophet
Genuinely curious does anyone give a shit about the D&D license or is it exclusively the ruleset? It helps sales I'm sure but it's not like Warhammer or Tolkien where people revere the source material. Because even as a p&p player I've never been able to invest myself in the lore or setting in general.

Codex Year of the Donut
Genuinely curious does anyone give a shit about the D&D license or is it exclusively the ruleset? It helps sales I'm sure but it's not like Warhammer or Tolkien where people revere the source material. Because even as a p&p player I've never been able to invest myself in the lore or setting in general.
nobody would give a shit if it wasn't for things like critical role that caused a massive spark in popularity in D&D
I'm not convinced these people are, however, interested in playing cRPGs. They're barely interested in playing an RPG and see it as improv theater or whatever.

Delterius

Arcane
isn't it nice to think feargus had to beg wizards for a dnd license and they never gave it to him lmao

Not as nice as beamdog getting it and then having it cancled on them.
beamdog got the specific game licenses, just like feargus

once the owners of PS:T, NwN and BG are on board its easier to get wotc's approval

The intended marketing effect is probably Action Fantasy Game! + 'the legendary DUNGEONS OF DEMOGORGONS i saw in Stranger Things' sounds like something for me.

Dungeons and Dragons is a larger cultural artifact in american culture. Even if it isn't that much larger than shallow references to 80s/90s culture. Or references to what you'd expect nerds are into. Or anything really. Its a fetish in a marxist sense of the word. A ritual without substance. A product without any relation to anyone's daily lives. A name to be recognized and, hopefully, to hold the attention of the moneyed classes long enough for them to click the purchase button and forget about it.

of course, there's also the 4 remaining drizzt fans

Bara

Arcane
but it's not like Warhammer or Tolkien where people revere the source material

There are plenty of people the revere the settings along with the ruleset and still do. At least people really into the game pre-5e.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
but it's not like Warhammer or Tolkien where people revere the source material

There are plenty of people the revere the settimgs along with the ruleset and still do. At least people really into the game pre-5e.
Not really?

Most D&D settings have limited penetration in the video game world. Crispy likes Greyhawk and more power to him but when nerds think D&D, they think Forgotten Realms. In fact, when a normal person thinks 'generic RPG setting' or 'tolkienesque' what they actually mean is the Realms, this mother of Abominations. Yet they don't even know it. Showing therefore how weak a name the settings of D&D actually are. Its greatest so dilluted in the general culture of gaming that nobody knows who the fuck Drizzt is. They might get the gist about what drows are but nobody cares about the many books of 'Elminster (who?) fucks another hot magic lady to save the world'.

One might say, 'doesn't a lot of people replay Baldur's Gate 2 with their own special twist of the Kensai-Mage every year?' Yes they do. And while I have to say that there aren't a whole lot of them, it is also besides the point. People don't replay Baldur's Gate 2 for the setting. They replay it because its Baldur's Gate. Planescape is a supremely interesting setting but the name recognition comes from Planescape: Torment's story and from Avellone as its supposed author. Not from Planescape. Not from Forgotten Realms deities being dicks to one another or all mythos being true. That's all just standard.

Pillars of Eternity 2 proves this. The first one rode on expectations set by being an Infinity Engine do over. It didn't really do either Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment or Icewind Dale perfectly. It did its own thing and as a property it is going through its own growing pains. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is literally just a Forgotten Realms esque with a recognizeable brand (discount D&D, or so I heard from my sister who really likes writing about gay romances on Critical Role) and it did well enough its studio bought itself from its publisher. It was a mess at release. It did mechanics that normies generally hate, like timers. And like every other game on the market, nearly nobody played it to completion. But its name held your attention long enough that it was bought and that's all that matters.

What guides the normal buyer is that over the years they have been conditioned by the marketing pull of a number of releases. BioWare first, eventually Obsidian, then Larian and CdProjekt. Everyone in the More or Less Generic Fantasy RPG business contributes to this narrative: of a supposed lineage of fantasy games. From the ancient ones, to Baldur's Gate, to Dragon Age to whatever generic fantasy game they played last time. Including ones that aren't even set in the Realms, like anything involving Pathfinder, and those that have little or nothing to do with them, like anything high fantasy really.

Its Fantasy. It has 'Dungeons and Dragons' on it, which appeared on Stranger Things or The Big Bang Theory. I recognize it as a cultural artifact of the modern world. And its just 60 dollars, there I bought it and its now on the backlog of things I'll never play. Its just that simple. Creepy nerds like us only serve to do mouth to mouth marketing. We are useful. But we are not the reason it succeeds or dies.

TLDR everything is a sham. nobody matters. anything can sell as long as the names involved are recognizeable. and down here it ain't forgotten realms bucko. its young sheldon from big bang theory saying 'my wizard casts magic missile at the darkness, bazinga'.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I have a feeling that a lot of people on the codex would be surprised by how few people have actually played the BG games.
More people have probably played pillows.

Bara

Arcane
TLDR everything is a sham. nobody matters. anything can sell as long as the names involved are recognizeable. and down here it ain't forgotten realms bucko. its young sheldon from big bang theory saying 'my wizard casts magic missile at the darkness, bazinga'.

Hey now the original question was only asking if there were people out there that revere the source material. I didnt say it was a majority of people or main stream but there are pleanty of folk out there still into Mystara, Greyhawk, or Birthright on the table top side.

Dont give a damn if any of those settings never go main stream its there for the people who care about them and will be found again and again by such folks.

Planescape Torment success goes hand in hand with the orginal setting and Avellones writting. If people recogize it only as the Planescape video game and never dive deeper than the game I pity them but there will always be those that dive deeper.

Delterius

Arcane
If people recogize it only as the Planescape video game and never dive deeper than the game I pity them but there will always be those that dive deeper.
If anything I envy them. Wouldn't you love if there was a great game set in Mystara? Well that's your problem. Normies don't care. They play great/good/ok games as they come. They go from Arcanum to Star Wars to Call of Duty to Monster Hunter without batting an eye. The chaddest of them all just buys the entire steam catalog and plays Farming Simulator all day long. We pine for dead worlds and the stories they could tell. Ours is the lot of crying tears in the rain. The Normie is the rain.

Last edited:

Varnaan

Augur
isn't it nice to think feargus had to beg wizards for a dnd license and they never gave it to him lmao
He probably started calling the WotC staff retarded or somesuch and felt smug about it for about a day until he forgot and then started bitching about the Trans-Wizards blacklisting Obsidian.
Honestly the MCA disclosure was eye opening when it comes to Feargus' behavior and the reason why Obsidian could only get second rate shit like Dungeon Siege (first two games are good but who gives a shit about this license seriously) or work on sequels.
I kinda feel bad for shitting on Obsidian since then considering it's all pretty much Feargus and his owners cuckshed fucking the company up.
Hopefully Microsoft will tell him to fuck off if he goes full retard and Obsidian will be allowed to make Dark Alliance Reboot 2.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If anything I envy them. Wouldn't you love if there was a great game set in Mystara? Well that's your problem. Normies don't care. They play great/good/ok as they come. They go from Turn Based CRPG with Choice and Consequence to Star Wars to Call of Duty to Monster Hunter without batting an eye. The chaddest of them all just buys the entire steam catalog and plays Farming Simulator all day long. We pine for dead worlds and the stories they could tell. Ours is the lot of crying tears in the rain. The Normie is the rain.
Ignorance is bliss.

Delterius

Arcane
If anything I envy them. Wouldn't you love if there was a great game set in Mystara? Well that's your problem. Normies don't care. They play great/good/ok as they come. They go from Turn Based CRPG with Choice and Consequence to Star Wars to Call of Duty to Monster Hunter without batting an eye. The chaddest of them all just buys the entire steam catalog and plays Farming Simulator all day long. We pine for dead worlds and the stories they could tell. Ours is the lot of crying tears in the rain. The Normie is the rain.
Ignorance is bliss.
It's also wisdom.

Delterius

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom