Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

da first duke nukem forever gameplay footage

Well... Duke Nukem is part of the same kind of retarded macho fantasy games like Gear of Wars and the like are part of, but without taking itself seriously and just being kind of a running joke - In that way i would say it is "Mature" in the way that "Joking and making fun about the things you believed and thought and dreamt during your adolescense" is mature.

Not really a lot, i supose.

Lurkar

Scholar
Duke Nukem isn't mature, but it's PURPOSEFULLY not mature, unlike most games now that try so hard to be "adult" and "mature" yet fail horribly at it.

That was really a part of 3d's charm. It didn't take itself seriously at any point.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Seriously, does it matter if it's mature or not? Or any good? The thing is, it's been in development for over a decade and it might actually see the light of day...

DiverNB

Liturgist
OH MAN IT LIKES LIKE EVERY OTHER SHOOTER I'VE EVER PLAYED

No shit jerkwads. Whats an FPS supposed to look like with 10 seconds of gameplay shown.

Sometimes you guys are just fucking stupid.

Texas Red

Whiner
DiverNB said:

No shit jerkwads. Whats an FPS supposed to look like with 10 seconds of gameplay shown.

Because of morons like you every FPS is supposed to be a generic corridor walker. FPS is the shittiest genre, not even sports come close.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know you're trolling, but doesn't it make your head hurt to type something that retarded?

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
I know you're trolling, but doesn't it make your head hurt to type something that retarded?

Not, it's a stupid genre and the fanbase is equally stupid. They have long ago established the extremely limited frames and refuse to expand. Every month something new is announced with better graphics and more of the same, completely small amounts of content and you get 40 pages of jerking off in Gamespot. They still play a decade old CS because nothing has even come close. That Duke Nukem Forever should receive more attention than FPS #49271 is ridiculous because they are all the same. Some get around to the idea that story, setting and characters are important and as a consequence succeed, but they won't go any farther with something that has been established as significant part of gameplay shit knows how long ago. They are stuck in the past where limitations were real but now are made up. Unlike other genres, FPS has very few components of gameplay and therefore you have these inflated 9.5/10 scores because they keep rehashing the same few elements over and over again. It's a genre stuck in the past and people don't want to realize that adding something will improve it, occasionally saying "But I likes ta play for an hour or so" with no clue that this is a huge minus.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's really does not seem to be true to me. In fact a problem with FPS is that they try to be "modern" and add stuff while forgetting the old virtues of fun weapons and good level design.

Let me try to explain: I have fun with Doom, Doom II, Serious Sam and Painkiller. But modern FPS kinda don't have what made them fun anymore because they try to cram in features and story. The only notable exception that was good despite these new things I know is Far Cry (and supposedly Half-Life, but I never played that).

I also enjoyed Prey for the sweet art design and atmosphere, but thought the gameplay was really poor so I wouldn't call it a good FPS as such.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
DiverNB said:

Because of morons like you every FPS is supposed to be a generic corridor walker. FPS is the shittiest genre, not even sports come close.

No wonder you are double dumbfucked, because we can tell that the entire game is corridors just from that short footage. Please, stop being retarded. I'm not saying the game is going to be great, and I'm not saying its going to be shit. I'm going to reserve my judgement until we have more stuff to go on than only 10 seconds of gameplay footage.

Texas Red

Whiner
DiverNB said:
Dark Individual said:
DiverNB said:

No wonder you are double dumbfucked, because we can tell that the entire game is corridors just from that short footage. Please, stop being retarded. I'm not saying the game is going to be great, and I'm not saying its going to be shit. I'm going to reserve my judgement until we have more stuff to go on than only 10 seconds of gameplay footage.

Jesus, didn't you get enough of shooting monsters in the huge number of FPSs already? You give an impression of being a sheep; they're giving you the same pile of crap and you're absolutely content with it. There's always room for improvement but apparently it's not the case for FPSs. Duke Nukem can sure innovate, maybe you can touch boobs on the hooker or grunt a few vulgarities.

Jasede said:
I have fun with Doom, Doom II, Serious Sam and Painkiller. But modern FPS kinda don't have what made them fun anymore because they try to cram in features and story.
If well done features and story are good. The FPS I had most fun with was STALKER, in spite of its lack of polish, because the gameplay, with its "modern" features like tactical combat, ironsight etc. was very satisfying for me. I do agree that sometimes no story is better than bad story but, as in every game, when it's good it adds to the atmosphere.
"Modern" shooters can be good or bad in the same way old shooters could.
btw, Half-Life is well worth a playthrough.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
DiverNB said:
Dark Individual said:
DiverNB said:

Jesus, didn't you get enough of shooting monsters in the huge number of FPSs already? You give an impression of being a sheep; they're giving you the same pile of crap and you're absolutely content with it. There's always room for improvement but apparently it's not the case for FPSs. Duke Nukem can sure innovate, maybe you can touch boobs on the hooker or grunt a few vulgarities.

Because wanting to shoot monsters makes someone a sheep? :lol:

Now I just know you're trolling.

Texas Red

Whiner
Great reply, asshole. You're being a sheep because the FPS genre has stagnated for a decade and is very limited in the content, and people like you are fine with it. Duke Nukem Forever gave no indication of being in any way different from other generic shooters. If they'd add AP-like stances and a few C&C, for example, the game would have a lot more value instead of being forgotten after a month.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
Great reply, asshole. You're being a sheep because the FPS genre has stagnated for a decade and is very limited in the content, and people like you are fine with it. Duke Nukem Forever gave no indication of being in any way different from other generic shooters. If they'd add AP-like stances and a few C&C, for example, the game would have a lot more value instead of being forgotten after a month.

Have their been a lot of shitty shooters in the last decade? Of course, I won't deny that. However, I think that it is a mistake to say that it has been "stagnant." I thoroughly enjoy FarCry to this day, as well as CoD4 and FEAR.

As long as the shooter makes shooting aliens/monsters/people/whatever fun, I really don't have a problem with it.

C&C would be interesting in a shooter, but TBQH I'm not really in them for the story. Shooters are pretty much all gameplay, if they can throw in a great story with the great gameplay I'm all for it, but the gameplay should be #1

User was nabbed fit

Hahaha. You read what DI wrote and responded in kind!

punkd-kutcher-inside.jpg

Truth

Scholar
Would Duke Nukem's brand of humor still be relevant and work today though? It seems like it would be stale and outdated and the humor in the GTA series kind of supercedes it.

I'm still remembering the Big Johnson/Liquor in the front, poker in the rear shirts from those times that aren't around anymore...

DiverNB

Liturgist
ViolentOpposition said:
Hahaha. You read what DI wrote and responded in kind!

punkd-kutcher-inside.jpg

Where'd you find that pic of me? :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom