Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA the last true bioware rpg

kosie99

Novice
Don't know if you lost has seen it, but Bob McCabe, former BioWare employee posted in a thread in off-topic where he discusses the direction BioWare wants to take their games. And I am not impressed....

Here is a quote:

"Well, more or less, BioWare envisions themselves as a pop-corn movie studio. They want to make titles that have a huge opening weekend and that everyone (or at least a large market) can get into. You talk about it for the weekend and then move on to the next title."

DA only has my interest because David Gaider works on it. After that, I think I may just settle in a MMO and forget about general CRPGs.

Andhaira

Arcane
You know, if your remove the you are left with DA last bioware rpg! :D

Anyhow, Bio does seem to be going towards more actio-rpg's but since the rumors about kotor 3 appear to be accurate, I think DA wont be the last. (KOTOR 3 maybe!)

mjorkerina

Scholar
Andhaira said:
but since the rumors about kotor 3 appear to be accurate, I think DA wont be the last. (KOTOR 3 maybe!)

1. You are pulling it out of yer' ass
2. Another Starcrap game isn't going to make Bioware look any better.

kosie99

Novice
Lesifoere said:
What's with all the doomsday pronouncements lately?

Well, looking at the latest offerings from Bio with JE and ME and now the upcoming Sonic RPG, what Bob says rings true. And with what they had to cut from Dragon Age as well shows that they are just not committed to produce a long, complex rpg anymore. Like they used to.

Things is, they moved on, I did not. (Except maybe for DA, will see)

MetalCraze

Arcane
why do you still look at Bioware like at an independent studio? it's just a rpg department of EA now - nothing more.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Lately? They've always been there.

The gaming industry has been dying for the last 20 years, supposedly.

Raapys

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Lesifoere said:

Nah, the industry reached its peak in the early 90's, so it's only been declining for 10'ish years.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We need someone to give VD ten million dollars so he can start to make huge budget games that can graphically compete with the mainstream, but have gameplay as we like it. When they're more successful than the current brainless shit, then it's a sure revival of PC gaming!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
As far as I know there hasn't ever been a true crpg.

- Fallout was close but you just couldn't use diplomacy with the rats, so ... FAIL.

- Every game before fallout is a dungeon crawler which of course cannot be considered an rpg.

- Torment was just the remake of Beneath a steel sky.

- All jrpg's are linear emo games with stats.

- All bioware games are just crappy real-time action games with adventure elements.

- Obsidians games are simply bioware clones with better writing and worse gameplay, so they are not rpg's either.

- Bethesda's and piranha bytes games are hiking simulators and not rpg's.

In fact i think that by definition true crpg's cannot truly exist, they exist only in our fleeting dreams.

Nael

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Lesifoere said:

I thought giant lapels, Members Only jackets, and horrible fashion sense in general died in the late 80s, but it's managed to make a comeback.

Keep hope alive.

aries202

Erudite
I don't understand why the good doctors at bioware just don't start a movie studio - and hand over the keys to Bioware to their employers...

I mean, it it obvious that they want to make movies now more than games. Or make movies that tells a story - and then add the (diminished) rpg gameplay and character customization after they've made the story...

On the other hand, Bioware is one of the game developers which isn't afraid to break new grounds...

Nightjed

Liturgist
aries202 said:
Bioware is one of the game developers which isn't afraid to break new grounds...

thats not because bioware is brave or anything, like blizzard, they just have money and they could get any publisher they want for their game (at least until 1 or 2 flops, and with fanboys that would buy chocolate covered monkey shit if it had the bioware logo i doubt they could make a flop even if they tried), when you are a small developer with limited money with a publisher that keeps reducing your budget and telling you to release the game a year early or theyll bail on you things look a lot different

obediah

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
We need someone to give VD ten million dollars so he can start to make huge budget games that can graphically compete with the mainstream, but have gameplay as we like it.

Seems like a decent way to waste ten million. Although I'd pick an all star dev team, rather than VD ( no offense!).

When they're more successful than the current brainless shit, then it's a sure revival of PC gaming!

Hah. You're either stoned or gunning for a dumbfuck tag. A hardcore codex gasm, RPG would have no chance of making it's 10 mio back, let alone raising profit standards.

-Pavlos-

Novice
kosie99 said:
"Well, more or less, BioWare envisions themselves as a pop-corn movie studio. They want to make titles that have a huge opening weekend and that everyone (or at least a large market) can get into. You talk about it for the weekend and then move on to the next title."

What a wonderful way to demonstrate that video games are a viable art medium...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
obediah said:
Hah. You're either stoned or gunning for a dumbfuck tag. A hardcore codex gasm, RPG would have no chance of making it's 10 mio back, let alone raising profit standards.

What if the combat was more actiony than any shooter could be and the graphics were top-notch? Then all the game needs to be successful is hype, hype and hype. Praise it to the heavens, and every retard will buy it. They will despair on the complex gameplay and wordy dialogues, though, but the real RPG fans will be happy.

But meh, cheap action games are easier to produce and make even more money, so I know it will never become true.

denizsi

Arcane
Jarl Frank said:
Then all the game needs to be successful is hype, hype and hype. Praise it to the heavens, and every retard will buy it.

I once saw 5 punks of high-school age, 3 of them hot underage girls, hanging right outside an Adidas footwear store. All 5 of them were wearing Adidas shoes of the season. I imagine they must have looked cool and hip to many others of their age. I remember thinking "that's marketing".

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
JarlFrank said:
But meh, cheap action games are easier to produce and make even more money, so I know it will never become true.
I doubt action games are easier to produce, quite on the contrary. Something like FEAR or HL2 is anything but cheap and easy to produce. On the other hand, every fucking Central- and Eastern developer make some cheap RPG... Gothic, Two Worlds, Hard to be a God. All cheap productions, both in cost and quality.

obediah

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
obediah said:

What if the combat was more actiony than any shooter could be and the graphics were top-notch? Then all the game needs to be successful is hype, hype and hype. Praise it to the heavens, and every retard will buy it. They will despair on the complex gameplay and wordy dialogues, though, but the real RPG fans will be happy.

Ah! You forgot to mention the 20 million advertising budget to go along with the 10 million development. :D Even then, I'm not sure. Some reviewers still have integrity you know, so the buzz might be killed by a few reviews like

'ZOMG! Wurdz! Wurdz! Wurdz! I was bord 2 sleep. So buggy, I couldn't even get minimap 2 come up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom