Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daily Drama: The story of David Allen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
<a href=http://www.gamemethod.com>Game Method</a> posted a 9-page article called <a href=http://www.gamemethod.com/archive/394.php>Artifact Entertainment: The story you never heard</a>. Well, if you've never heard it, then it's worth reading

<blockquote>This is the time where James’ extremely questionable behavior began. With his first major action, he adjusted his salary from $8,000 to $10,000 a month without my permission, and said it was a mistake. This happened on the day we were to sign the closing papers for the Series A investment. We needed to sign that day in order to make payroll on time for the employees. When I pointed out the error, James specifically stated that he had no idea how the salary was adjusted and said that it must be a typo, or that they got his mixed up with mine. At that point, I had to make a choice of re-doing the paperwork, which would have resulted in the employees missing their pay day, or accept the salary that was defined. I specifically asked James, “will you do $10K worth of work a month for me?” and his response was “absolutely.” I then signed the papers.

A few days later, the whole situation was bothering me. Something just seemed wrong. I sent an email to the lead attorney of the company who was regulating the paperwork for us and asked him how the $10K salary mistake was made. He responded and told me “James sent me the numbers.” I asked him to forward the email that James had sent to him, and sure enough, when I received it, his salary was defined the same as mine. Interestingly enough, that email was one of the only ones during our entire ‘finalization’ of Series A that he did not CC me on.

When I told the ‘leader’ of the Series A group about this, and what James did – “John, he lied to me about this and knew exactly what he was doing”, his response was something along the lines of “of course he did.

I took James out to lunch the next week and asked him about what had happened, and I asked him straight out why he lied to me. His face turned red and he began to sweat as he explained that he didn’t lie, and that it was a simple mistake that I wasn’t CC’d on the email. He then began to explain that it was probably from the ‘previous numbers’ that we had in the proforma that had me at $15K and him at $10K a month. If that was the case, how come my salary was $10K instead of $15K? He couldn’t answer. I knew that he was lying to me, but I didn’t understand why he would do that – we were supposed to be a team. I made my biggest mistake by not firing him as soon as we returned from lunch. Instead, I decided to give him another chance.” – David Allen</blockquote>And then Dave had the nerve to be surprised when something bad happened. Dude, you <b>had</b> to see that coming. Btw, what's with 8-15k/month salaries?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I have to agree. He got shafted because he didn't understand what he was doing. He was in BUSINESS! It's a cutthroat world out there and he only realized it too late. If he would have had his shit together he could have done what he wanted. It sounded to me that he could have fired James Jones without the approval of the board, but he didn't even know that he could.

Oyarsa

Novice
Sees a parallel(ogram)

Country_Gravy said:
It sounded to me that he could have fired James Jones without the approval of the board, but he didn't even know that he could.

Hey! This was Kwame's mistake on The Apprentice!

Seven

Erudite
Believing and trusting members of your team is not a mistake. If you constantly assume that those around you are out to get you then it's hard to accomplish anything.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Seven said:
Believing and trusting members of your team is not a mistake.
Maybe. Believing and trusting a member of your team after he tried to fuck you in every possible way is.

Voss

Erudite
This is amusing reading. His quotes are great, he's definitely trying to affix blame, but what really shows up is his inexperience, and lack of the slightest clue of what to do as a CEO.
And the importance of being a good judge of character. Yes, I will hire a random player of my previous game and give him 20% of my company. Thats a good idea. Hehe!

Anyway, the original material (of what was going to be in the original version) at the end of the article: how amazingly generic...

And wow, Gamemethod is sure willing to fluff Dave Allen.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Seven said:
Believing and trusting members of your team is not a mistake.
Maybe. Believing and trusting a member of your team after he tried to fuck you in every possible way is.

I whole-heartedly agree. After that one guy screwed up the payroll, he should have been out on his ass. I don't really feel that sorry for this dude, he just got in WAY over his head. He probably felt like this: :shock:

Rosh

Erudite
The think I find most fitting is that James Jones got fired in turn, for hiring someone who was fired for doing the exact same thing he did. I'm surprised Jones hired Bowman in the first place, as he was more than a bit problematic for AC/Turbine.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
WTF was up with hiring Bowman? Doesn't this guy bother with references? If Turbine management is willing to say that he was fired for "malicious actions to climb the ladder" to some random reporter, I don't think David would have had too much trouble coaxing it out of them.

I've recently been reading RPG's (Ha! Ok, Dick Gabriel's :)) Patterns of Software, where he discusses among other things his own start-up company troubles. A lucid (this is a pun you probably won't get unless you've read the book) quote is:

To some American businessmen, one's word means nothing when money is involved.

I guess the lesson we can all walk away with from this article is that you should always hire a private Dick (third time is the charm :)) to perform background checks on any potential business partners.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Obviously, if a sum of money larger than 500k is involved, you should make fucking certain to be pro-active about making sure your private interests are kept secure by doing thorough background checks about your potential partners and business associates before actually surrendering a large portion of those 'interests' into the hands of those people.

What David Allen did was extremely naive, not to mention stupid. When the payroll 'glitch' occured, and subsequently the discovery of James's lie, it should have been the first and only sign to get rid of the guy. David Allen's naivete is no excuse when it comes to all of the the subsequent fuck-ups and plotting by James and his cohorts. That's just good old fashioned stupidity at work.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Article said:
The “official” word is that David was not suited for the role of CEO and was moved to a role of consultant.
I have to say that's true.

It's easy to say after the fact, but he should've spotted James tactics right then and there. James' is in it for the money and the credit. You see it when he says he helped create the game and when he does the payroll. Incidentally, if it's a mistake, why didn't David get the money back? Instead, he accepts it. Trust me when I say it's not that hard to let everyone elses salary go through and then have someone who's had a mistake in theirs corrected later. Instead, he let's him have it. Bad move. When you've got someone else then saying "of course he did [screwed you over]" that sends up the big red flag of business trouble right there.

They also seem to suffer from NWN's problem of spending too much time working on the engine. From memory, NWN was re-jigged to change the way it handled graphics a few times. Work like that is really unnecessary. You have to make a decision and stick with it. If you're changing engines 5 times, you obvously don't know how to properly evaluate your decisions in that regard.

Oh jesus. Love the part about James' getting jobs for his brother's, cousins and such in the company. Warning sign number 4.

Article said:
He didn’t have a severance package or even anything preventing him from being kicked out of his own company.
He fails to consult a lawyer when the board disagrees with him. You always seek legal help when you're being screwed to find out the limitation of your powers. The whole point of starting your own company is that you HAVE NO IDEA how things work. You ALWAYS get outside help. Be it a Business Angel, a family friend with a background in those things or a lawyer other than the company one.

$10 says James has done something similar to this before. Any idea what he worked on before he came on to Horizons?

I think his biggest mistake was taking himself out of the loop with his employees. It's his design they're creating and he doesn't even bother sitting in on any of the design meetings until it's too late? That whole article gives a perception that David never talked to his employees himself and just sat in his office directing through James. That perception has to be incorrect but I find it hard to believe that a man who wasn't directing from the office could have so many lies made up aginst him. Surely everyone in the company would know the truth?

Article said:
My attorney also told me that Artifact was doing everything they could to run my legal bills up. Plus the deal irritated my attorney so badly he just wanted to close the case.
Okay, if your lawyer isn't even supporting you, get another lawyer.

Heh. I see at the end that James has tried this shit before. Even Bowman isn't that clean. David didn't do his research.

Honestly, I think David's learnt the most valuable lesson in business. He's not the first person to be screwed over and he won't be the last by a long shot. The trick now is to take what he's learnt and start another game company to do it all again. ;) (Without the mistakes, of course)

That's a well put together article.

Voss

Erudite
Thats the other thing. This doesn't sound like a company with a huge horde of people. How the hell did he not know what they were saying? Did he hide in the office with the door locked?

And yeah, the implication that he was sitting in on a development meeting for the first time is definitely there. Strange behavior if you consider the game your baby.

I don't know that he's learned a valuable lesson. Its there if he cares to look for it, but based on that eulogy crap, it seems the only thing he picked up on is that people and publsihers are bad and mean and its not his fault.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The guy is obviously partially to blame for Artifact's downfall. One of the reasons that the board of directors ousted him from his position as CEO was probably because he wasn't showing any pro-active behaviour on his part, which isn't very leaderlike. They probably thought that they could do a better job at it than he could (at that point) and he wasn't doing much to prove them wrong, or bolster the confidence of everyone working with him. The only conduit that he had to the outside world, it seemed, was James.

This scenario really reminds me of Cardinal Richelieu and his sucessful plot to undermine the French throne with the King wrapped around his pinky. In fact, he was so successful that all of the power possessed by the King was more or less under his control, with nobody (save the fictional Three Musketeers) to oppose him. The man was wealthy, successful, and most of all brilliant - and he got away with it... unlike James, who got bit in the ass by Bowman some years after he screwed David over.

Personally, if I was an employee at Artifact, I wouldn't have held David with high regard considering his absence in the game's development. All he had to offer to the company was the concept of a game and nothing more. That part about him getting peeved about their design of the game's map and locations lead me to that conclusion. Sure, he says he got peeved, and who wouldn't be considering the status of the game's development at that point - but he didn't do much, if anything to reprioritize their duties. All he does is blame James and the board members for his own lack of leadership. In that regard, he shares a very strong similarity to John Romero. Romero used to get pretty peeved about Daikatana's development but he left all of the leadership to some other guy, who didn't turn out to be much of a leader. Who's fault is that?

If you can only count on yourself to get things right if there's nobody else.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
One thing occurs to me:
Why would people say bad things about him behind his back if he didn't do something to deserve it? Wait - that would be a flawed analysis. I have a better question:

Why would people believe it?

My belief is that none of the bad things said about him were true, but I think his lack of being pro-active and his relative absence worked against him in this regard. People are usually very eager and quick to believe bad things said about a person who doesn't display anything to prove them to be otherwise false. All he did was bitch and moan about his company on various forums. I hardly think that did anything good for their personal reputations.

Fools and they're money are soon parted. DA brought it all on himself, but I would still like to see that james guy have his nuts put through a shredder.

Dhruin

Liturgist
The whole design meeting thing was the weirdest bit for me. OK, he lacks business experience but why is the COO that didn't design the game running the design meetings?

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Hervé : Hey people, I'm fucking you all over, ok?

IPLY : Sure! Just be sure to use a condom!

9 months later, little Hervés are infesting IPLY's office and eat JE's balls.

Rosh

Erudite
Susan,

wheel-stfu.jpg

Rosh

Erudite
Sure, whatever you want, Susan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom