Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Dark Messiah: OMG, IT'S OBLIVION FIXED LOL

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

Think of everything Oblivion had 'wrong' with it... linear quests and storyline, lack of any real roleplaying besides choosing NOT to join a guild, emphasis on combat, lack of any real challenge due to levelling... false promises, etc...

Well one of the geniuses over at the Elder Scrolls forums has found us an Oblivion killer at last. According to him, it's 'Oblivion fixed'.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=694382

IT'S AWESOME, apparently.

3) You can kick people (as in you creep up behind them and kick them off a ledge, or stagger them and kick them backwards)

4) you can set fire to barrels and throw them

I think it's brilliant!

Bloodlust

Augur
Oblivion is the bestest video gaem ever made,the eighth miracle of the world and the most cool thing mankind has invented since sex.Please don't post ridiculus claims such as above.THERE CAN BE NO OBLIBIAN KILLAH!!11one

spacemoose

Erudite
sometimes I really feel surrounded by imbeciles, when every attempt at sarcasm has to have the idiot tags of mis-spelled words and the venerable "!!!1one"

when was the last time you actually saw anyone use aol speak? its been shamed out of existance, and so should you for your shit humor. don't be sad though, you're in great company, pretty much everyone here does it, including the mods

spacemoose

Erudite
Julio said:
Dark Messiah was pretty good. I recommend it.

why did you change your tag. wouldn't have anything to do with that coworker you played puppets with and then went out on a date with?

TruthDecay

Novice
I got Dark Messiah of Might and Magic with a graphics card I bought, and honestly, I liked it even LESS than Oblivion. Aside from the awful combat, which felt pretty repetitive to me, there is some quality about it that I can't quite put my finger on, so I'll attribute it to general suckitude.

As a comparison, I endured 20 hours of Oblivion before swearing it off. I endured about 2 hours of Dark Messiah.

Deleted member 7219

Spacemoose said:
sometimes I really feel surrounded by imbeciles, when every attempt at sarcasm has to have the idiot tags of mis-spelled words and the venerable "!!!1one"

when was the last time you actually saw anyone use aol speak? its been shamed out of existance, and so should you for your shit humor. don't be sad though, you're in great company, pretty much everyone here does it, including the mods

Did I do such a thing? The only l33t speech I used was 'OMG', and that was quoted by the ESF member's post. Who is the imbecile?

Deacdo

Liturgist
Julio said:
Dark Messiah was pretty good. I recommend it.
If the game got a mod community behind it I wouldn't have bought it already. As it is, I'm not as keen (maybe when it gets really cheap). I hear they patched some things, but it still sounds like it needs more work.

spacemoose

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:

Did I do such a thing? The only l33t speech I used was 'OMG', and that was quoted by the ESF member's post. Who is the imbecile?

I was referring to the post right after your OP, by bloodlust. but I don't know, you may still be an imbecile. only time will tell

Deleted member 7219

Spacemoose said:
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:

I was referring to the post right after your OP, by bloodlust. but I don't know, you may still be an imbecile. only time will tell

Ok.

Spazmo

Erudite
I remember playing the demo of this back in the day and concluding it was pretty unremarkable garbage. I can't think of any reason to even discuss it any further, let alone play it.

In fact, I think the whole world should agree to forget this game ever existed.

Forgetting... forgetting... forgotten.

So whatever happened to that M&M FPS they were making?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:

Ok.

No it's not 'OK'. It's not OK at all. Apologize to Spacemoose right now.

Deleted member 7219

dagorkan said:
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:
Matt7895 said:
Spacemoose said:

Ok.

No it's not 'OK'. It's not OK at all. Apologize to Spacemoose right now.

I don't feel an apology is needed. I didn't know who he was referring to in his first post because he didn't mention a name. Having said a name would have prevented the misunderstanding in the first place. And I didn't respond maliciously either, I merely put forward my side of the story. And his explanation was satisfactory; I bear no hard feelings.

Dark Messiah was pretty bad. I would have been fine with the whole fantasy action game approach had it been done correctly, but it was simply too run-of-the-mill. I did prefer the combat to Oblivion's, but that's not saying a whole lot.

heiamll

Novice
Legion said:
Dark Messiah was pretty bad. I would have been fine with the whole fantasy action game approach had it been done correctly, but it was simply too run-of-the-mill. I did prefer the combat to Oblivion's, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Im wondering what made the game "run-of-the-mill" to not be considered action game done correctly? Almost every level that i can think of was interesting and exciting. I thought Dark Messiah pulled it off well. Even discussing it makes me want to install it again just to play that Orcish encampment with the buried temple/city.. i dont think i found everything the first time through.

Seboss

Liturgist
I borrowed it from a friend for the weekend a few months ago.
I've beat it in 6 hours or so and found it enjoyable if you don't mind brainless action from time to time although the combat is very repetitive (1.spot enemies 2. spot environment hazard 3. kick enemies on hazard).
It did not leave any memorable moments, but it's not worse than any FPS that flood the market today. At least, it tried something a bit different.

Section8

Cipher
Dark Messiah was good fun. Definitely a cut above most of the first person shooters we've seen this decade, but it does suffer quite a bit by encouraging repetition. There is almost always some quick way to dispatch an enemy by kicking them at or off something, so the actual combat, stealth and magic that are actually fairly well done take a backseat to just plain old arse kicking.

And even though it's almost completely linear, it does offer opportunities for differing characters.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked Dark Messiah. It's fun. It's no RPG, it's just action, but it's fun for what it is.
Too damn short, but fun.

Still, that ESF fucktard is stupid and babbles some incomprehensible shit.

ESF fucktard said:
Just bought Dark Messiah Might and Magic, IT'S AWESOME!!

It seems to cover pretty much everything that M'aiq goes against

1) It's a magic/stealth/fighter middle ages sort of thing

2) Multiplayer through the use of Stealth and Internet Explorer

3) You can kick people (as in you creep up behind them and kick them off a ledge, or stagger them and kick them backwards)

4) you can set fire to barrels and throw them

I think it's brilliant!

downside= Linear and it drains my PC like anything

anyone else tried this game, what do you think of it if you have?

What the hell does he mean with that? Multiplayer through the use of Stealth and Internet Explorer???

Lurkar

Scholar
The thing is, I don't think Dark Messiah ever even claimed to be an RPG.

Lurkar said:
The thing is, I don't think Dark Messiah ever even claimed to be an RPG.

Actually, it did. I remember the release vividly, since many people were arguing whether or not the game was an RPG, and furthermore, whether the dev's had claimed it be. On the official DM website when the game was first released, there was a huge slogan plastered across the top of the main page that said something like: "Action RPG's Redefined." While I've never been one to nitpick as long as a game is good, I would say that DM barely even touches upon being an Action RPG. Diablo II featured more roleplaying than DM, lol.

heiamll said:
Legion said:

Im wondering what made the game "run-of-the-mill" to not be considered action game done correctly? Almost every level that i can think of was interesting and exciting. I thought Dark Messiah pulled it off well. Even discussing it makes me want to install it again just to play that Orcish encampment with the buried temple/city.. i dont think i found everything the first time through.

"Run-of-the-mill" as in there wasn't any memorable characters and the voice-acting was questionable in some cases (especially the very annoying Xana). Since I've come to associate fantasy themes with RPG's, any fantasy game that isn't one must be executed flawlessly to captivate me enough to complete it. The storyline was very generic and the introductory trailer is one huge spoiler. The experience of playing DM felt like being forced to play through all of Doom 3 or Quake 4 with a wrench or baseball bat (if you play a strictly mellee character that is).

Deleted member 7219

Admiral jimbob said:
2) Multiplayer through the use of Stealth and Internet Explorer

Really, what the fuck DOES that mean?

Maybe 'Stealth' is a multiplayer client program all the cool kiddies are using these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom