Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
cautiously not very hyped. definitely won't preorder any special edition

i really like the aesthetics (even though i agree everything looks a bit too much like BB. hell, the whole thing feels like a BB mod. which i don't personally mind as that was one of the strong aspects of BB), definitely dig they're going in a more medieval horror direction (finally!) and it seems it will "force" them to make the world much less kitchen-sink-y than DaS1 and DaS2, which is a great thing. smaller number but bigger, more complex levels is also great news. i'm confident level design will be close to the best in the series, if not the best. that's pretty much all the good news

combat, which is the meat of any Souls game, it's the thing that keeps bringing you back after you explored everything (the other main thing in Souls), looks like absolute shit. it's like they sat down, decided what are the worst aspects of all souls combat games and mixed them together to make DaS3 combat, that's why DaS2 is completely ignored and it looks like a crappy mix of BB and DaS1/DeS. insta-heal, godmode far rolls, very quick movement, superslow ultra moves, ezmode backstabs (some commented the same is true for parries?), overall seems very spammy like BB. what's next? parries with arrows and throwing knives?

didn't see anybody posting the boss vid? seems decent enough, but also gives off a very BB-like feel.

Looks awesome to me.. I think I heard Sensuki in the background.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The stuff I've seen in gameplay videos reminds of DeS mixed with BB, but not DaS. The area looks like Boletaria + Yarnham.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This should be the slogan for DS 'so much fun, you'll die'

6815-Moonstone_-_A_Hard_Days_Knight-1.jpg

Caconym

Augur
Dark Souls Creator Planning to Launch "Several New Projects

Dark Souls 3 is the "turning point" in the franchise and will pave the way for something new, according to series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpot, Miyazaki was asked if he has given any thought to expanding the Souls series beyond fantasy and into other genres such as sci-fi.

"Dark Souls is my life’s work," he replied. "EVERYTHING I CAME UP WITH FOR DARK SOULS 3 IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES. However, Dark Souls 3 is also actually the turning point for the franchise."

Pressed on whether he would explore the sci-fi or mech genres, perhaps by applying the Souls framework to them, Miyazaki said he "definitely wants to bring the Miyazaki Touch" to them.

As part of his remit as president, Miyazaki intends to launch "several new projects," but didn't specify what these would be.

"I do want to work on something new," he added. "I’m pleased to hear people are interested in seeing that."

The Dark Souls franchise has now shipped around 8.5 million copies across its previous instalments. This figure does not include sales of From Software's other popular games, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I kinda get fed up with Miyazaki. I understand that he "saved" the company and everything, but I'd like to see another Evergrace.
Please.

:love:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
FromSoft's success in the modern vidya industry is such a rare, heartwarming story.

I think they should try an Armored Core game on the PC. The Mechwarrior tune-up people would go mad.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
FromSoft's success in the modern vidya industry is such a rare, heartwarming story.

I think they should try an Armored Core game on the PC. The Mechwarrior tune-up people would go mad.
DSes sold 8.5 mill copies, with demons and bloodborne this could be around 14 million, that's 4 games over 8 years.

Skyrim to this day sold over 35 million copies.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Come on, there's always a bigger guy than you in the world. That doesn't matter.

What matters is From managed to make a franchise successful enough to make 5 games in the series, while actually being pretty damn great instead of AAAshit.

Caconym

Augur
DSes sold 8.5 mill copies, with demons and bloodborne this could be around 14 million, that's 4 games over 8 years.

Skyrim to this day sold over 35 million copies.
Come on, man, perspective. Souls is still pretty niche; Skyrim is the definition of anything but.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As president of From Software, I am planning to launch several new projects. I can’t quite specify exactly what they are. Those could be something sci-fi, but you’ll have to stay tuned for more about that in the future.
More Souls games. Fuck yes

Jack Dandy

Arcane
The original Dark Souls was about killing gods, that was one of its themes. The third game is about the kings that succeeded the power of those gods. The play is basically trying to kill those kings. That’s the basic plot of the game.

We're gonna fight the Chosen Undead! :bounce:

Caconym

Augur
Hidetaka Miyazaki on Dark Souls 3's changes to bosses, magic, combat and more

"However, as additional elements - as an evolution - I've added the Battle Arts to each weapon. Something similar will be added to spells in the game, and those definitely provide something new to Dark Souls 3.

Miyazaki also said he hopes to avoid "stereotypical" boss fights in the third Dark Souls game. "I'm aware there are some boss designs that get a bad reputation from some of the fans out there," he said. "I'm aware of that."

While Miyazaki says From Software is not trying to create something no player can possibly overcome, some of those challenges will upset their expectations. Some will make players exclaim, "Oh, my god," he says.

Dark Souls 3 will maintain the same type of cryptic storytelling that the Souls games are known for, as Miyazaki said he prefers to leave the interpretation of the games' stories up to players. Responding to a question about whether Dark Souls 3 is set in the same locations as the first two games, he said that though they share the same "worldview," "I have no intention of using the first two games as a basis for Dark Souls 3."
I'm so sorry for linking to Polygon...

nomask7

Arcane
DS2 bosses work because they're not different in kind to normie monsters, so much as they're different in toughness (with a few exceptions). Don't tell me any of you liked the Chariot boss. I don't think sane people want more of those special-needs bosses. Why would they? Even the designers had the good sense of making that god-awful encounter entirely optional. (I don't know what it means to make the game more like Bloodborne) - I just hope they haven't become desperate, desperate to seem innovative. Three Souls games, one of them great (DS2), is not that much yet. They should put me in charge, I'd tell them they can do Bloodborne 2, they don't have to do Blood Souls, and that nobody wants special-needs bosses (I'd let them do one or two as optionals).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom