Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkborn - action game from ex-DICE devs where you play a monster fighting against humans - CANCELED

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    https://www.pcgamer.com/former-payday-battlefield-developers-team-up-for-a-new-rpg/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    I guess it's a positive sign that he doesn't consider Payday an RPG, even though it has skill trees and xp :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Stompa Arcane

Stompa
    Nope, not even gonna pirate. Fucker run Payday 2 into the ground, I seriously doubt that he has competence for a full-blown RPG. Expect consolised popamole shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. turul Scholar

turul
    "A Bioware thing".
    I like that way of describing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/former-payday-battlefield-developers-team-up-for-a-new-rpg/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Yeah, no.

^ Top  
  6. LeStryfe79 Whisper Network Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :d1p:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    I don't get it.
    Not so long ago, nobody was making RPG's. Excluding ports and JRPG's
    I mean think about 2008 - what games were released back then?
    Fable 2
    Fallout 3
    Geneforge 5
    Silverfall
    Divinity 2
    Avernum 5
    Sacred 2
    DA:O
    Risen

And what do we have announced or released in 2015:
    The Witcher 3
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment
    Darkest Dungeon
    Blackguards 2
    Sanctuary RPG
    Kingdom Come
    Serpent in Staglands
    Grim Dawn
    Bombshell
    Sword Coast Legend
    Northern Shadow(dunno what is it, found on the internet, probably shovelware but so is Silverfall)
    Shadowrun:Hong Kong
    Age of Decadence
    Underrail

And I'm fairly sure I've still skipped a lot games(for example - I've didn't include another Vogel's remake that's bound to happen, or happened, whatever I don't keep track on it anymore).

Currently we're seeing more and more studios going on with their RPG games, both through crowdfunding and via normal ways.

It's a bubble am I right?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. toro Arcane

toro
  9. torpid Liturgist

torpid

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    I'll believe it when I see it.

^ Top  
  11. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    You better believe that Bobby is the Saviour of Gaming.

^ Top  
  12. torpid Liturgist

torpid
    He'd probably do better than Tim Schafer's latest offerings

^ Top  
  13. naossano Cipher

naossano
    April fools ?

^ Top  
  14. March fools jokes incoming.

^ Top  
  15. pippin Guest

pippin
    ftfy

^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Most of the titles you've listed don't seem like shit to me (excluding Witcher 3, Bombshell and the like of course), so what I've said below doesn't apply to any specific title from your list.

Keeping this in mind, I think the reason for the RPG becoming fashionable is simple - gamification meets console action games.

If you make a first person shooter or behind-the-shoulder shooter, people buy it, play it, kill things and that's it. The best you can do from gamification perspective in single player - to give them stats for time player, enemies killed, weapons used, etc.

You can make a multiplayer action game, then your opportunities to gamify the experience grow - you can add points, leaderboards, badges (PBL) to the experience, to keep players hooked, because who doesn't want to show off his achievements, score, etc.

But once you add the illusion of complexity by calling your action game "RPG" you can give your players the full gamification treatment: PBL, XP, levels(!), and technically you are calling yourself an RPG so the leaders in the "action" genre are supposedly not your competition.

The bottom line - the contemporary action game feels sorta incomplete unless you slap some "levels" and "xp" and call it an RPG :) This is the world where Dragon Age moves form RPG to an action game, and the general public considers this to be a good thing.

And it's not a bubble, I think it's just a new way to market action games. The sad thing from my (our) perspective is that it's an attack on the meaning of words. "RPG" should not stand for "a game where a shitty punk cyborg Lara Croft shoots things" and "RPG player" should not stand for "a consoletard" but apparently that's the trend for now.

^ Top  
  17. toro Arcane

toro

http://www.pcgamer.com/ex-battlefield-devs-announce-viking-horror-game-project-wight/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • meh meh x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Parsifarka Arcane

Parsifarka
    I didn't notice it was made with Unity until the final credits -that's good.
    The flying monster looks fun but the other requires good AI (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case if we are to judge by the camp fight) and level design to work properly; it may end up being an entertaining game with some shitty segments. The idea of Aliens vs Predator vs Vikings is nice anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. The Fish Arcane

The Fish
    So, not the gameplay then? What's the point in a melee action game in which the attacks are automated, during which you have no control? Also, the camera looks jittery when starting and stopping movement.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Aliens vs Predator with Vikings and clunky Unity engine. Yeah sure why not.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The whole pushing enemies off cliffs thing reminded me of Dark Messiah, so I guess I'll be sort of keeping my eye on this one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I would rather play as the vikings, maybe in a squad and go hunt those beasts. Setting looks cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    That would be cool indeed. But I believe that they were inspired more by the Grendel's point of view in this adaptation of the story.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sul Savant

Sul
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.