Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darklands is now available on GOG

FeelTheRads

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
FeelTheRads said:
Awesome game. Did RTwP before Bioware "invented" it and Bethesda "perfected" it.

Still, the combat system is easily the worst part of Darklands. As much as I adore it, it would be a much better game had the developers decided to opt for a turn-based solution.

That's absolutely true. I was just taking a stab at newfags.

Zomg

Arbiter
If you like Dragon Age you're gonna hate it; it's really only going to be for people that usually grind their teeth playing generic RPGs and get refreshed by seeing something weird. A lot of the mechanics are inarguably tedious and awful (e.g. the combat most of the time, dungeon crawling) and it's not gonna ever convert anyone that goes into it skeptical.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
We don't hand out DUMBFUCK tags anymore commie. Sorry.

So that's a no then.

Zomg said:
If you like Dragon Age you're gonna hate it; it's really only going to be for people that usually grind their teeth playing generic RPGs and get refreshed by seeing something weird. A lot of the mechanics are inarguably tedious and awful (e.g. the combat most of the time, dungeon crawling) and it's not gonna ever convert anyone that goes into it skeptical.

Ahh, something mediocre that all of a sudden is regurgitated by the pseudo-sophistos as 'avant-garde'. Got ya.

Darkforge

Augur
Ok, I picked this up as i never got a chance and was always interested in it, but holy fucking shit. How the hell did I play games like this back in the day I have no idea. I can barely read the font....

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It can induce headache if played too long.

Unlike, say, sword of the samurai.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Nonsense fantasy is tolkienesque moralising that denies human nature.

Realistic fantasy accepts the real world as it is; that there is no good or evil, just genes and money.

Leveling up is Power. That is our ontology.

Magic is Will. That is our creed.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
Jaesun said:
We don't hand out DUMBFUCK tags anymore commie. Sorry.

So that's a no then.

Zomg said:

Ahh, something mediocre that all of a sudden is regurgitated by the pseudo-sophistos as 'avant-garde'. Got ya.

Shouldn't you be off defending TW2 somewhere?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Erzherzog said:
Darklands is one of the few cRPGs that Codexers should be required to play.

It's near the top of my list of oldies I missed but want to play. The only reason I have a few games before it on that list is this:

FeelTheRads said:
... Did RTwP before Bioware "invented" it and Bethesda "perfected" it.

So how did this game manage to get RTwP right when all others have failed? Or is it a case of it's great 'despite' the shitty combat - kinda like Arcanum?

Edit: Oops - Just noticed my typo - fixed - misspelling Arcanum is enough to get you banned around here. :oops:

Zomg

Arbiter
It's really simple, repetitive, somewhat easily broken, and slow. This is true of virtually all the RPGs the Codex likes to jerk off without calling out the combat so I hate to run down a game I enjoyed over it. BUT I MUST CRITICIZE WITH HONOR

The dungeon crawling is really amazingly bad beyong the call of normal RPG shittiness to the point you should avoid it though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So how did this game manage to get RTwP right when all others have failed?

I said that it did RTwP, not that it did it right... or good.

Nowadays, newfags think Bioware invented it along with the RPG genre.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
FeelTheRads said:

That's nothing, there's this dumbfuck called "FeelTheRads" who thinks there's rtwp Bethesda games out there. :lol:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Mastermind said:
FeelTheRads said:

That's nothing, there's this dumbfuck called "FeelTheRads" who thinks there's rtwp Bethesda games out there. :lol:

I was referring to their VATS abomination, which was called "perfected RTwP" or some such.

You're not even trying anymore. Just spouting random nonsense.

Also, butthurt detected. Are you one of the newfags mentioned, by any chance? I'd bet on it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
FeelTheRads said:
Mastermind said:
FeelTheRads said:

I was referring to their VATS abomination, which was called "perfected RTwP" or some such.

He thinks VATS is rtwp. :lol:

Who called it that skyway? Was it Todd Howard? Peter Hines? When did their word become gospel?

You're not even trying anymore. Just spouting random nonsense.

I don't need to try anymore. You think Fallout 3 was RTwP. You've already exposed yourself as a moribund imbecile. Butthurt? No sir, you are the butthurt one. I am very much enjoying my time here. You are raging aimlessly, impotent to do anything about the crushing despair around you. Maybe you should play KOTOR another 7 times, maybe by the end you'll figure out what a rtwp game actually is. :lol:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What the fuck am I doing...

Anyway...

Who called it that skyway? Was it Todd Howard? Peter Hines? When did their word become gospel?

It's irrelevant. It was called that, and that's what I was referring to. To retarded newfags. Not to whether it's RTwP or not, although the difference is hardly worth mentioning.
Learn to read. Or grow a brain.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
FeelTheRads said:
It's irrelevant. It was called that, and that's what I was referring to.

Why do you lie? The whole point of your inane tirade was that Bethesda/Bioware were not the first to use it.

To retarded newfags.

:smug:

Incidentally, I googled to see which "newfags" think Fallout 3's vats was RTWP. All I find are mostly pages claiming it's not. So it appears that the "newfags" who think Fallout 3 was rtwp are pretty much just you and maybe one or two other guys.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny how when it's Bioware, Bethesda, CDPR, any modern mainstream dev really, then 'shit combat' is a hanging offense, but when the shit combat comes in some obscure game from the dawn of time all of a sudden it's a MUST PLEY!!!!!!

Either judge every game; old or new; fairly or GTFO.

Personally, being as much of a story and atmosphere fag as much as a combat fag I can forgive most shit combat in old games and new if there's an interesting world or story or characters in said game, so it doesn't worry me much. I do however find it grating that one game gets buttraped for doing exactly the same thing as another that gets eulogised. That's IGN type of selective reasoning and I though the Codex was better than that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
commie said:
Funny how when it's Bioware, Bethesda, CDPR, any modern mainstream dev really, then 'shit combat' is a hanging offense, but when the shit combat comes in some obscure game from the dawn of time all of a sudden it's a MUST PLEY!!!!!!

Either judge every game; old or new; fairly or GTFO.

Personally, being as much of a story and atmosphere fag as much as a combat fag I can forgive most shit combat in old games and new if there's an interesting world or story or characters in said game, so it doesn't worry me much. I do however find it grating that one game gets buttraped for doing exactly the same thing as another that gets eulogised. That's IGN type of selective reasoning and I though the Codex was better than that.

What can change the nature of man?

A negative Witcher 2 review, apparently. :smug:

Zomg

Arbiter
You have me and maybe Ruprekt confused with like whoever Skyway is named now. I don't Codex shit on new Bioware/Obsidian stuff, I just play like two hours of them then quit and then watch an LP of it two years later.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
commie said:

Eh, I think "shit combat" is a hanging offense when there's nothing else redeemable about the game's, well, gameplay. Old games like Darklands have some mechanics that still remain interesting/innovative. On the other hand, do Bioware or CDPR games have any interesting features (apart from their stories that you seem to enjoy so much) or just any kind of innovative/memorable mechanics at all? Personally, I believe no, they don't; none that I can recall, at least. DA:O may even be a solid game (but it isn't, so it isn't), and it's certainly more of a cRPG than, say, Witcher 2 - heck, I even managed to finish DA once without getting bored too much - but it's just secondary and derivative in every of its gameplay aspects. And Darklands isn't. In fact, AoD is the only vapourware game that can be regarded as a spiritual successor to what made Darklands memorable.

Also, I don't recall the Codex praising all old and obscure games. There are but a handful of those more or less universally praised, from what I've seen around these boards. "Old" doesn't seem, to me, to equal "must play" on the Codex.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What made (and makes) this game so great is just how much there is to see and do and how many ways are open for you to try it. Sneak over the wall into a town, fight a satanical cultist village, escape the wild hunt, beseige a raubritter castle, fight river pirates, grovel to a traveling bishop and travel all over medieval Germany are just a few of the things to experience. Even now I sometimes run into stuff I never saw before. That said, the game is old, has bugs and for something as expansive as this does have some wierd lapses in content. Town missions for instance are always simply to eradicate some spiders.

Also do read the manual. It's from the time when microprose still shipped out boxes with an encyclopedia heavy load of content.

And hey, I always enjoyed the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom