Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkness Over Daggerford

Jason

chasing a bee
Darkness Over Daggerford, a NWN mod.
“Darkness over Daggerford”
(A Former BioWare Premium Module)

Developed by Ossian Studios® Inc.

To many, the town of Daggerford is of little consequence. To others, however, it is of immeasurable value. The nearby great cities of Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate would do well to look over their shoulders at what is brewing in this once sleepy town. Prepare to delve into the dark mysteries surrounding Daggerford...

- A 25-30 hour classic Dungeons & Dragons role-playing adventure with a strong Baldur’s Gate feel and almost 200,000 words of dialogue!

- Produced by former BioWare Producer, Alan Miranda, who was the Producer on Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.

- A brand new world map system, never before seen in Neverwinter Nights, enabling the player to better explore a large world, complete with random encounters.

- A player stronghold to enable more challenging stronghold quests, and featuring cool player customization features.

- Three new TNO tilesets created by DLA and released to Ossian Studios through an exclusive agreement with BioWare, including a completely new exterior tileset with rolling hills, sea cliffs, and castles.

So has anyone played it? Is it worth re-installing NWN for? There's a thread about it over at Obsidian, but it quickly devolved into a bitchfest so nothing useful came out of it. However, Volourn did point out this interview that shows some screens of the world map.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That sounds great! I still have NWN installed... haven't played it much yet. I only bought it because I heard some really good things about the second add-on. If anyone could comment on this mod, it would be appreciated.

Seboss

Liturgist
That made me reinstall NWN and I'm now playing Eye of the Beholder mod. It's quite fun. That's what NWN should have been, pure HARD dungeon crawler (those skeleton warriors own my ass).
Hmm, that gives me the urge to reinstall original EoB 1&2. Damn that was excellent games.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hey, I did that some time ago, and had fun for a few days. These (and many other) games are just immortal, I think. I can easily imagine having fun with them in 20 years, using DosBox 7.98 on my 30 Ghz MegaSeptium.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tortured Hearts readme said:
You should not play Tortured Hearts if you

-are a casual player
-are a powergamer
-are a ruleplayer
-don't have much time
-don't like complex stories
-are not used to non-linearity
-have a lower end machine
-don't like the hardcore approach
-you are impatient

Oh shit. Why didn't anyone tell me that buying NWN was not a complete waste of money? Thank you, roguefrog.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Crap on a cracker, I had uninstalled NWN about a week or two ago!

I did have some crazy frame rate issues though. 20-30 FPS on a X1600 pro...any idea why?

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Oh shit. Why didn't anyone tell me that buying NWN was not a complete waste of money? Thank you, roguefrog.

NWN without a internet connection is a waste of money. Many Permanent Worlds in the hands of a good modder are awesome.

RuySan

Augur
i've been thinking about installing EoB 1 & 2, but i don't remember if they have automap or not. Its because i don't have patiente to draw them nowadays.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I have installed both the RP mods for NWN mentioned here. First impression: AWESOME. Very well worth the download.

About EoB: I only played part 1. It had no automap. Why do you need a map? I have never needed a map playing classical RPGs, with the sole exception of Wizardry 1 to 4 [and I only needed it because the dungeons were simply a huge maze of twisty little passages, all alike]. Can't you draw one in your mind?

Elwro

Arcane
RuySan said:
i've been thinking about installing EoB 1 & 2, but i don't remember if they have automap or not. Its because i don't have patience to draw them nowadays.
Even the 3rd part didn't have an automap. I think the feature became more popular sometime around Stonekeep.
I still have my pencil-drawn maps for EoB1, and you can find detailed plans on the web, but it's not so much fun when you have the layout of the whole level before you. I don't think there's a solution for that. If you don't want to draw your maps, you'll (I think) only have fun during the first few levels and then slowly become lost.

Seboss

Liturgist
Drawing the maps is half the fun.
And @Jasede, you definitely need a map in lower parts of EoB and sooner in EoB2.

I think the first cRPG in first-person view implementing an automap that I played is Lands of Lore. Or maybe it's Ultima Undeworld ?

Binary

Liturgist
Elwro said:
RuySan said:
i've been thinking about installing EoB 1 & 2, but i don't remember if they have automap or not. Its because i don't have patience to draw them nowadays.
Even the 3rd part didn't have an automap. I think the feature became more popular sometime around Stonekeep.

Stonekeep is from 1995. Before that you had UW1, Wizardry 7, Realms of Arkania 1, Betrayal in Krondor, Ravenloft 1, Menzoberranzan, etcetc

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Here's a tip for anyone getting into downloading NWN modules... DON'T PLAY A DANCE WITH ROGUES. Part one is fairly good, mostly because of the feeling of buildup, and part two is a godawful, dull, boring, nonsensical dungeon trek with one ridiculously boring cutscene lasting around an HOUR - an HOUR of watching terrible dialogue appearing over people's heads in an agonizingly slow manner - interspersed with two boring fights. Also, the ending was complete shit.
I suppose I'm bitter because I wasted the last day of my summer holiday on it... bah.

Elwro

Arcane
Binary said:
Stonekeep is from 1995. Before that you had UW1, Wizardry 7, Realms of Arkania 1, Betrayal in Krondor, Ravenloft 1, Menzoberranzan, etcetc
Whoa, OK. I played all those games and somehow forgot about that.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Elwro said:
RuySan said:
I still have my pencil-drawn maps for EoB1, and you can find detailed plans on the web, but it's not so much fun when you have the layout of the whole level before you. I don't think there's a solution for that. If you don't want to draw your maps, you'll (I think) only have fun during the first few levels and then slowly become lost.

Well, the levels are not super big. i cannot remember if there is automap or not, but it should not be too hard.

Elwro

Arcane
They're not too big, but in later parts of the game you switch the levels more frequently, appearing in different parts of them which adds to confusion.

Now that's one funny thing I remembered just now. Iirc there was a teleportation system in EoB1 that required you to put an item in an appropriate slot in a portal. There were 6 or 8 slots, I think. But no matter how hard I tried, I never managed to find all the items and at least one slot was unused. Is it a sign that the game was rushed and more areas were planned? :D

suibhne

Erudite
Threads like this make me think I should re-install NWN to give some mods a shot, especially since I'm eagerly awaiting the mod tools in NWN2. Just as with Dungeon Siege and Lazarus, tho, I shake with palsied disgust every time I reach for the CDs. :lol:

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
He-hey, I just realized that I actually forgot to uninstall the pirated copy of NWN I toyed with. Lucky me, lucky me. Something to play until the verdammt deutsches Gothic arrives.

Biffsnot

Novice
baby arm said:
Darkness Over Daggerford, a NWN mod.
“Darkness over Daggerford”
(A Former BioWare Premium Module)

Developed by Ossian Studios® Inc.

To many, the town of Daggerford is of little consequence. To others, however, it is of immeasurable value. The nearby great cities of Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate would do well to look over their shoulders at what is brewing in this once sleepy town. Prepare to delve into the dark mysteries surrounding Daggerford...

- A 25-30 hour classic Dungeons & Dragons role-playing adventure with a strong Baldur’s Gate feel and almost 200,000 words of dialogue!

- Produced by former BioWare Producer, Alan Miranda, who was the Producer on Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.

- A brand new world map system, never before seen in Neverwinter Nights, enabling the player to better explore a large world, complete with random encounters.

- A player stronghold to enable more challenging stronghold quests, and featuring cool player customization features.

- Three new TNO tilesets created by DLA and released to Ossian Studios through an exclusive agreement with BioWare, including a completely new exterior tileset with rolling hills, sea cliffs, and castles.

So has anyone played it? Is it worth re-installing NWN for? There's a thread about it over at Obsidian, but it quickly devolved into a bitchfest so nothing useful came out of it. However, Volourn did point out this interview that shows some screens of the world map.

Well on the site for the mod it is ranked at 99 out of 100 and most reviews seem to be very high:

Well if this module dont deserves a 10 wich one deserves it ...
Obviously ton of work was put into it , the landscape and clever use of new tilesets ,or customized items . its like a baldurs gate 2 expansion with nwn 3d engine , theres even a player stronghold what ask for more.

Some say the plot is dry well i strongly disagree , its a classic main story perfectly set in the forgotten realms but theres ton of original sidequests some of them succeeded to make me laugh even , like making those two guys jump of the cliff together :) . the siege castle one was very interisting and unusual too.

About the difficulty and sclaing of the game , yes its more easy than usual but for once its playable with a mage , and i dont have to reload every 2 fights cause my henchmen get killed like in many of the vault mods.
I really hope you guys at ossian studios will produce more mods if not for nwn maybe for nwn2 , or why not you own RPG ? this mod is clearly of professionnal quality and near the size of an offical extension.

I am grabbing it now and hopefully it will be good as I enjoyed the original because I played co-op the whole game with someone but I want some more classic play. We can hope right...and maybe there wont big hand telling you where to go all the time...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Sorry to bump this thread...

I have just played some more of the "Tortured Hearts" mod. One word: Awesome. Pure RP. Fantastic; your choices have consequences, the game /encourages/ you to do what YOU want; it's completely absolutely non-linear. It's very, very professional.

Go play it NOW if you have NWN. It's like Fallout lite, except that it isn't lite and that it is not Fallout.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Jasede said:
Sorry to bump this thread...

I have just played some more of the "Tortured Hearts" mod. One word: Awesome. Pure RP. Fantastic; your choices have consequences, the game /encourages/ you to do what YOU want; it's completely absolutely non-linear. It's very, very professional.

Go play it NOW if you have NWN. It's like Fallout lite, except that it isn't lite and that it is not Fallout.

I always intended to try Tortured Hearts, but I never had the computer for it... the loading times depressed me. I've upgraded now, so I'll give it a shot.

For another awesome, mature, VERY complex module, try "Tales of Celts". It's.... complex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom