Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkness Over Daggerford

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Go play it NOW if you have NWN. It's like Fallout lite, except that it isn't lite and that it is not Fallout.

Fallout lite... interesting concept... would that be fallout but that can be finished in 5 minutes, instead of 3 hours?

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'd be interested if you could control your companions during combat...but as is, it's just too annoying.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Really, try it. You can equip your henchmen, have a nice lil' party [only passive, though], and have a HUGE gameworld. Really. it's HUGE. I meant it has Falloutian freedom. I was AMAZED. You get into that town... and have NO OBJECTIVE! Really, just check it out. Codexers should be pleased. TH is the best RPG you can make out of NWN. Period.

[Okay, in M-space, there still exists a mod in potentia that is better, but this is only hypothetical because M-space contains all mods that will ever be created]

Slylandro

Scholar
Dang it. I already sold my copy of NWN to someone else. I hope that the good mods can and will be ported to NWN2.

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Really, just check it out. Codexers should be pleased. TH is the best RPG you can make out of NWN. Period.

Thanks for the suggestion, but many good worlds/modules can be made with the toolkit. There have been a few out there over the years, fitting for every style and taste (dungeon crawl, adventure, power leveling etc).

Unfortunately the Codex hive-mind said "NWN == bad" and many missed this.

Pity

Personally, I haven't touched NWN in ages but I intend to buy the infinite dungeons module.

RuySan

Augur
Seboss said:
That made me reinstall NWN and I'm now playing Eye of the Beholder mod. It's quite fun. That's what NWN should have been, pure HARD dungeon crawler (those skeleton warriors own my ass).
Hmm, that gives me the urge to reinstall original EoB 1&2. Damn that was excellent games.

i'm playing right now and i'm in the 2nd level of the dungeon. I wonder if its possible to return to the castle after the cave-in? I'm packed with stuff that i need to sell and i'm force to leave lots of stuff behind

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There should be, uh, a dwelling with peaceful inhabitants in the dungeon somewhere around level 4, if my memory serves me. In the original you couldn't return to the city...

Saxon1974

Prophet
Playing Darkness over Daggerford and liking it very much so far. It's already tons better than the original NWN campaign. I thought I would play it since its mostly the same group that is making the NWN2 mod Mysteries of Westgate.

Im going to have to play tortured hearts as well now.

Texas Red

Whiner
I feel really bad about these developers. They obviously wanted to make the best module ever but Atari screwed them. Screwed them real good in their holy quest to prevent piracy.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dark Individual said:
I feel really bad about these developers. They obviously wanted to make the best module ever but Atari screwed them. Screwed them real good in their holy quest to prevent piracy.

Can you elaborate? I don't know the story.....Is that why this is listed as a "former Bioware" module?

Starwars

Arcane
The makers of Darkness over Daggerford are the same ones who have developed the first adventure pack for NWN2 (Mysteries of Westgate), which have been delayed for a long-ass time now due to Atari implementing their DRM thing.

DoD was also supposed to be a premium mod for NWN1 if I remember correctly, but Atari scrapped the whole premium mod thing. Ossian released DoD for free then.

It seems Ossian has not given up though, Alan Miranda hinted in a recent interview that they're developing more stuff for NWN2.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ah, I did hear about the ATARI DRM holding up the release of MoW.

They seem like a promising new studio, hope they keep going and eventually make some money on their modules.

Thrasher

Erudite
It's a shame that NWN 2 and MoW are being used a guinea pig for the new Atari DRM.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I have always felt that big companies are only good for 1 thing. Deep pockets. Other than that its all bad. More politics, more delays, more compromises etc....

On another note, the world map exploration is great, I think that was a big thing missing from NWN when originally released.

Saxon1974

Prophet
My save crashed and got corrupted....

So I started playing the Tortured Hearts mod....WOW, this is old school goodness. Totally open ended, lots of different dialog options that matter...this is great. Apparently it lasts between 60 to 100 hours just for part 1? How in the heck did someone put this much time into this mod on their free time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you look up, I used to be -very- enthusiastic about TH.

But... there's something wrong with the writing. I can't put my finger on it, but it completely ruins the experience for me.

mondblut

Arcane
Binary said:
Stonekeep is from 1995. Before that you had UW1, Wizardry 7, Realms of Arkania 1, Betrayal in Krondor, Ravenloft 1, Menzoberranzan, etcetc

Might&Magic3 was probably the first to have automap onscreen. Which is far more useful than separate one, especially when it involves continually wasting some spell or using some item.

Goldboxes had automap switchable with playing field (and playable in map mode) since Pool of Radiance, but those silly designers tended to disable it for every area they wanted to make "challenging". Which kind of defeats the whole point of having a map.

UPD oops, that's some mighty case of necromancy here!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Jasede said:
If you look up, I used to be -very- enthusiastic about TH.

But... there's something wrong with the writing. I can't put my finger on it, but it completely ruins the experience for me.

I echo that. I attempted to play it, but the writing is kind of shite.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
The thing is, they hired some semi-famous English fantasy author for Tortured Hearts 2 as an editor...

And it's still the same.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
These?

-Many conversations were written by my American co-author, Jim Grimsley, who is a novelist with several published books to his credit.
-Some of the weird characters' convo was written by my Hungarian co-author, András Gáspár, another novelist friend and colleague of mine. (He has had many scifi and fantasy books published here in Hungary)

Huh.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I haven't had any problems with the writing so far in Tortured Hearts, at least none that made me think "Well that was dumb", but I am not very far into it yet so hopefully I don't find it game breaking as you did Jasede.

I will report back as I play more on the writing. It doesn't have to be great for me to really like the game, Im just happy the game is tough and allows open ended exploration.

It's amazing that someone would have enough time to create these 2 games free of charge. Are they really as long as they say they are?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
Jim Grimsley's wikipedia article said:
Dream Boy is listed in List of books portraying paedophilia or sexual abuse of minors and Bird of Prey under List of works for the theatre portraying paedophilia or sexual abuse of minors.

I see

Hmm, I would rather have not had this information. :shock:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom