Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview David Gaider's Mature Storytelling Corner

Shannow

Waster of Time
[Endurance] Not everybody still cares about crappy TV serieses from the 70s.
[Intelligence] The Codex is full of nerds.
[Perception] Or full of faggots who watch even crappier remakes.

Dolar

Novice
AndhairaX said:
Gaider considers himself an established writer now.

To be honest, I hate as much as the rest of you, But I have read the book and It's not bad. There is much worse fantasy out there. And I really like the setup in the first few chapters.

So I have hope the Dragon age story will be pretty decent. I would also like to read more from him as well.

aries202

Erudite
Looking at what David Gaider is saying, why is it that emotional=mature or that the player needs to forget that they play a game in favour of something similar to a book or a movie.

I only thought that emotional investments in characters took place in adventure games :?:
In those games, the player needs to get emotional involved or attached to the main character in the game, so that he or she feels a need to finish the game - just to see what-s happening next...

I have watched some episodes of BSG, too. And I find these episodes to be wellcrafted, well-written and well acted. And a lot better written than some rpg and adventure games, I could name; and more well written than some of David Gaider's writing.

But, the thing to remember is that writing for a tv-series, writing a novel and writing for a videogame are three totally different things.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Dolar said:
AndhairaX said:
Gaider considers himself an established writer now.

To be honest, I hate as much as the rest of you, But I have read the book and It's not bad. There is much worse fantasy out there. And I really like the setup in the first few chapters.

"There's much worse out here" is... not much of an accomplishment. And if you think a story about a guy out to take back his STOLEN THRONE while accompanied by a bashful companion and a BEAUTIFUL WARRIOR MAIDEN promised to him since birth isn't complete shit, then you really need to thrust your head into a vat of boiling acid because that brain isn't doing you any good.

Dolar

Novice
Lesifoere said:
"There's much worse out here" is... not much of an accomplishment. And if you think a story about a guy out to take back his STOLEN THRONE while accompanied by a bashful companion and a BEAUTIFUL WARRIOR MAIDEN promised to him since birth isn't complete shit, then you really need to thrust your head into a vat of boiling acid because that brain isn't doing you any good.

Not every work of fiction, every game, or every movie is going to be a masterpiece. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone's tastes,

But the way you describe the book you make it sound like "Red Sonja" with a few plot points changed.

All I am saying is that for a first book, It is not bad.

Dolar

Novice
Lesifoere said:

Not every work of fiction, every game, or every movie is going to be a masterpiece. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone's tastes,

But the way you describe the book you make it sound like "Red Sonja" with a few plot points changed.

All I am saying is that for a first book, It is not bad.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The new BSG is good when it sticks to action-drama, like the inter-fleet conflict, the mutiny and the Pegasus plotline. Too often it devolves into pseudophilosophic drivel about the cylons and religious crap. We could've done without so many goddamn scenes of Gaius Baltar talking to his imaginary girlfriend.

Also, ANYONE COULD BE A CYLON. EVEN YOU. The NEXUS 6 Cylons were superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence, to the genetic engineers who created them.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Dolar said:

I'm going by the official summary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom