Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dawn of Magic action! Action! ACTION!

Surgey

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Seriously, what is the Baker's Wife class about?

She cooks up a mean brioche. And lets her enemies eat cake.

I just wonder how much of a bad-ass the actual BAKER is.

Fez

Erudite
The baker is waiting for her to return with his sandwich of course. That is her quest, to get him the ultimate sandwich.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The expansion will encompass her quest to get him something to drink then the plot twist where she has to find the remote control or turn the TV manually (branching plotline).

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The Walkin' Dude said:
Wulfgar said:
bozia2012 said:
Well, the game seems too chaotic to me.
The world seems to big, the cities are too big, too many shops, too many quests, too many enemies, too many possibilities of developing your character...

WAT? :shock: How is all that a bad thing? :roll: How can there ever be "too many" possibilities for developing your character?

Sometimes its difficult to get in to some game.

You bet. Especially when you want just to run around and kill monsters (and loot shiny things). Seriously: if I wanted to get into some engaging, inspiring world I would play (again) Arcanum, FO2 or Darklands - not a h'n's game.

Some things about DoM:
The game has quests where you have to fight in towns - the problem is the guards react when you hit someone or you destroy something (and that is normal when you cast fireball).
You can choose to be mortal at character creation (the game ends when you get killed).
You can choose your alignment.
The game features dimembered, exploding enemies and titties (YAY!!!)

And check this out - TQ doesn't have spawning enemies.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Yeah, but TQ has other problems. :)

Respawning in itself ain't that bad imo, it's just how you do it. In DoM new enemies would almost pop up behind your back (at least in the area surrounding the academy), while in Sacred it took a while before already explored areas would be repopulated or while in DiabloII/TQ where you needed to quit the game first before the enemies would come back in.

Texas Red

Whiner
What? From the little I played TQ the enemies were always respawning. I cleared out an area, saved and quit, came back only to find that the area is yet again repopulated. After that I just deleted it. For me it would be better if it worked the regular way without them saving/loading portals and constant respawning, but I apparently that is how it works in this genre.

RGE

Liturgist
I was hesitant to install and play the demo, but I figured that after downloading 500+ MB I owed it to the internets to not have wasted all that precious bandwidth. And then I got stuck for about 24 hours. It was frustrating at the beginning, because the game 'crashed' twice in the tutorial (some graphics issue froze the game with only momentary stutters of mouse activity, happened on some isle while I had the book open to figure out how to use Dark Path, happened one time again later, also while having the book open). And it kept being frustrating while I learned how to dodge the academy students who were set to hunt me (with spells!) while I hunted coyotes (the evil starting quest). Died a couple of times until I (by mistake) cleared the entire area with no intereference from the pesky students. Because in my frustration I had forgotten to talk to Magnus to reactivate the quest. But that meant that I was level 3 when I finally did that quest, after which all enemies outside the academy vanished. No more respawnings there.

And that's close to what I've found outside Avon and the Miner's Village as well. Outside Avon I can get a few enemies to spawn by reactivating the coyote quest, or maybe that only spawns coyotes and the other enemies are respawned naturally? Still rather slow respawns though, and apart from the goblin quest in Miner's Village, I haven't seen a single enemy respawn there, or in the Northern Outlands, or in the Northeastern Outlands. No spawning of enemies behind my back either, though I probably wouldn't notice anyway, because I often don't know where I am.

All in all I think that the 'big picture' is a huge improvement over Diablo 2, but the actual playing suffers from too many flashy effects. A lot of spells seem to take some time to cast, but that isn't shown as an animation, it's shown as a timer on the mouse pointer. Like realtime with pause - I get to move around for a while, but not cast a spell until it's 'my turn' again. That's pretty crappy, especially combined with the targetting difficulty and the lack of click-and-hold.

I began to use an undead minion just so I wouldn't have to bother keeping track of every little enemy, and later on I began the practice of summoning both a demon and a champion to help out with that. It still seems as if all the spells arent properly balanced, and especially most curses seem weak in comparison to direct damage spells. With my limited multitasking/multithreading/manual dexterity, if a combat spell isn't among the 8 best, then I don't have any use for it. Though I suppose that a lot of spells are really meant to not be raised beyond the necessary initial spell point, but rather used while wearing a crapload of items, all carrying one or more of a rune with "spell +1". Well, maybe, or maybe not. Maybe a bunch of identical rune effects don't stack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom