Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Island Announcement trailer

MapMan

Arcane

Phelot

Arcane
There's a whole lot of no game play in that trailer and good thing it's set in a tropical setting I was afraid there might be a game that isn't set in a tropical setting.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better a tropical setting than covering up for shittier graphics and draw distance by setting a game in New York...I'm looking at you Crysis 2.

Besides, every other zombie game is set in a city and if this does what it promises then a tropical island or any other kind of open wilderness area (an island with natural borders is a ubiquitous fallback for open-world games) can only be good for gameplay.

RatFink

Educated
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/ ... id=ign1161

Dead Island's developers call it a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG(!!!!!)" That's a mouthful, and it's still unclear what the balance will be among those descriptors. Players will be able to choose from a cast of pre-set characters, including a former rapper named Sam B (the only character revealed so far).

wrong forum mang!!!

..or is it? :smug:

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
Better a tropical setting than covering up for shittier graphics and draw distance by setting a game in New York...I'm looking at you Crysis 2.

Besides, every other zombie game is set in a city and if this does what it promises then a tropical island or any other kind of open wilderness area (an island with natural borders is a ubiquitous fallback for open-world games) can only be good for gameplay.

I'm not seeing any amazing draw distances in any of these screenshots. That's not the point though, I'm just tired of the setting. WAY over played. That may seem like a strange thing to complain about, but for fucks sake!

Luzur said:
it will prob be a Dead Rising clone.

It certainly appears to be. Let me guess though, it's shtick and uniqueness comes with having a zombie kid!!!! ROFL DARKIER!

denizsi

Arcane
Tropical setting. WAY over played. Right.

Next, someone will bitch about the WAY over played zombie genre.

Anyway, I've been waiting for this for quite some time. The last time they talked about the game, over a year ago, it sounded like what STALKER and Boiling Point was originally supposed to be, eg. semi-dynamic game world with (survivor) factions, and an emphasis on survival and melee combat over firearms. I'm hyped. I've been waiting for the AAA zombie survival experience forever.

Does anybody think that it's somewhat unfortunate for Double Bear and their ZRPG that just when they decided to make a zombie RPG, entire mainstream culture started to get flooded with it again?

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
They announced this game back in 2007.

Nobody here knows what they are talking about.

Nothing much is new except for different starters. I don't think it was supposed to be an RPG originally, it was going to be kind of like tresspasser's early levels (in design anyways), where you had to scavenge everything and find a place to hide out. There is a city on the island however.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
Anyway, I've been waiting for this for quite some time. The last time they talked about the game, over a year ago, it sounded like what STALKER and Boiling Point was originally supposed to be, eg. semi-dynamic game world with (survivor) factions, and an emphasis on survival and melee combat over firearms. I'm hyped. I've been waiting for the AAA zombie survival experience forever.
Same here. I read about it years ago in some gaming rag. Anyway, I'm glad to hear some news about this as I thought it was probably vaporware at this point.

denizsi

Arcane
It was only supposed to have survival lite elements, eg. some food, water, medicine etc. If there will be any RPG elements as in skills, perks etc., even better but I'm sure that's not the case.

Phelot

Arcane
denizsi said:

This coming from someone that complained about no barricades in that zombie game that Brian Mitsoda is making :lol:

Face it, this game looks boring and played out. Dead Rising except MOAR GRIMDARKIER!

tropical settings take great advantage of HDR and Bloom. I guess it's kind of become like needing to have a lava level in your NES game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Awesome trailer. Been reading previews about it since 2007 but it got awfully quiet during the last year or so. Dunno, the screenshots looked awesome and what they described in the previews also sounded very good. It also seemed this would be the return of the kind of damage model they also used in the SOF games. Which sounds brilliant for a zombie slasher. Still, it's been a long time since I heard anything about the game. Will see.

Still an awesome trailer though.

denizsi

Arcane
I watched the trailer just now. The way it starts/ends is fuck up, mang. <3

I also just noticed that they use a hanged man in the logo for "I" of the island. It might be premature to say but with all the superficial PC going on in the industry, I find that it points to the right mindset of making a game in this setting.

phelot said:
denizsi said:

This coming from someone that complained about no barricades in that zombie game that Brian Mitsoda is making :lol:

Is this your way of telling us you are dumb?

I found the lack of barricading in ZRPG disappointing which turned out to be somewhat misled anyway because at the time, there wasn't much detail on the exact purpose and mechanics of the shelter hub of the game (some high school). They hadn't spelled out that the game would be an X-Com-meets-several-other-games type with part management and strategy aspects. Not really much point in putting any design overhead in spontaneous barricading when you have all that other stuff.

What I particularly complained about was the mentality Brian and VD demonstrated towards barricading ie. Brian: "barricading is more suited to real-time action games" & VD: "huge programming obstacle; impossible to do without sinking a huge time into it and not worth the benefits", both of which I still find ridiculous (except for the argument that it's not worth the benefits), especially the former. I mean WTF, right?

Anyway, what was your point again?

Dele

Liturgist
Looks good because gore is better than sex.

Trailer was pretty good too.

Phelot

Arcane
denizsi said:
Is this your way of telling us you are dumb?

I found the lack of barricading in ZRPG disappointing which turned out to be somewhat misled anyway because at the time, there wasn't much detail on the exact purpose and mechanics of the shelter hub of the game (some high school). They hadn't spelled out that the game would be an X-Com-meets-several-other-games type with part management and strategy aspects. Not really much point in putting any design overhead in spontaneous barricading when you have all that other stuff.

What I particularly complained about was the mentality Brian and VD demonstrated towards barricading ie. Brian: "barricading is more suited to real-time action games" & VD: "huge programming obstacle; impossible to do without sinking a huge time into it and not worth the benefits", both of which I still find ridiculous (except for the argument that it's not worth the benefits), especially the former. I mean WTF, right?

Anyway, what was your point again?

I knew that was a sore point for you :) that's basically the point. Look, you're excited for this game which makes it beyond awesome for you and that's nice and all, but it still looks like a Dead Rising clone with screenshots that don't appear to show much in the way of gameplay other then "WOW OMG!" which doesn't impress me anymore and I hope to God it doesn't impress you either. Why should we be excited about this?

denizsi

Arcane
I haven't played either Dead Rising games but from the videos, they look like boring smash'em arcade games with no adventure elements or a tangible narration. And I previously explained why I was excited and am hopeful about this game ITT.

MapMan

Arcane
I think (and hope) this won't be just a dead rising clone in FPP. In dead rising zombies are absolutely no threat. I'm hoping for more survival than arcade experience. Will have to wait with any comments until we see gameplay.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like someone else said, back in 2007 it seemed like it was going to be STALKER/Boiling Point/Trespasser kind of game, which would have been fucking awesome. Now with this trailer it seems to suggest it will be more Dead Rising/L4D style of game which is kind of disappointing, though at least it's just a trailer and not actual gameplay so there's hope yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom