Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Island Announcement trailer

Luzur

Good Sir
MapMan said:
I think (and hope) this won't be just a dead rising clone in FPP. In dead rising zombies are absolutely no threat. I'm hoping for more survival than arcade experience. Will have to wait with any comments until we see gameplay.

in Dead Rising the zombies are just there to provide the gore splatter for those funny weapons you could mix together, like flashlight + shovel + ducttape + diamond = diamond edged laser shovel.

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
some promo screenshots: http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107163, ... .html?bo=1

- almost no firearms
- crafting system for weapons, you can fight with every item you find in game
- heavy atmosphere
- some rpg elements (guy who seen it says that it resembles diablo 2)
- 30 hours of gameplay, 200 if you do all additional quests
- 4 player co-op
- no level scaling
- there will be 'hubs', small fortresses where survivors live
- there will be a car and fast travel option

it seems to be preety much of Borderlands clone, i think i'll like it

Ermm

Erudite
Very good trailer. But fuck, the dudes at IGN are just ratfucks.
They said about this trailer ''Zombies and Dead Children rocks''.
Moar like ''Zombies and Dead IGN staff rocks''.

Also there was some short gameplay clip on the youtube, but it was very short and taken by camera.

ortucis

Prophet
Been following this game since the day it was announced, I really like the videos of multi-layer damage they released back in 2007.

This trailer looks great and all but I really didn't feel anything for the kid. TBH, she had it coming. Actually, the whole family had it coming. Unless there was a "surprise outbreak" that caught the family of guard (which won't make sense), I don't really see any logical reason for the girl to be away from her parents except for a stupid storyboard putting her away from them in the first place.

The opening shot of a comically out of place burning zombie in the background didn't help (it reminded me of the burning chicken from ATHF movie).

denizsi

Arcane
- almost no firearms
- crafting system for weapons, you can fight with every item you find in game
- heavy atmosphere
- 4 player co-op
- no level scaling

By semi-consolised FPS / RPGLite standards, that sounds fucking good. But the way it rings also made me think of Far Cry 2 v2.0 with zombies, which could go either way. Nonetheless, it looks like this will be a fun game. And, I don't care about co-op but adding 4-player co-op to a semi-adventure game like this with quests says some pretty fucking commitment to the game.

That damn lighting, though. There is too much contrast like a comic. Like Far Cry 2. I never liked the HDR in FC2 and without it, the game looked horrendous. I still can't believe that Crysis was (possibly) the only game ever to get HDR right. Almost nothing ever got ridiculously dark or ridiculously light, transitions and final illumination always felt very natural. Anything else I played equally high tech was an eye sore in HDR department.

Anyway, I'll most likely get this blind.

Jaesun said:
Another zombie shooter. How original potato land.

"Another"? Oh you count shitty indie games and multiplayer games too? Poor you.

Phelot

Arcane
denizsi said:
"Another"? Oh you count shitty indie games and multiplayer games too? Poor you.

Face it Denise, this game sounds boring and "no firearms" or "heavy atmosphere" (whatever the fuck that means) won't save it. You should probably just shove knives up your vagina until you're dead because this game is going to disappoint you. Sorry girl. :(

Phelot

Arcane
denizsi said:
But what to do if I don't have a vagina? What to do?

DN_Res_Misc08.png

It should be clear now.

Luzur

Good Sir
ortucis said:
Been following this game since the day it was announced, I really like the videos of multi-layer damage they released back in 2007.

This trailer looks great and all but I really didn't feel anything for the kid. TBH, she had it coming. Actually, the whole family had it coming. Unless there was a "surprise outbreak" that caught the family of guard (which won't make sense), I don't really see any logical reason for the girl to be away from her parents except for a stupid storyboard putting her away from them in the first place.

The opening shot of a comically out of place burning zombie in the background didn't help (it reminded me of the burning chicken from ATHF movie).

everyone is always surprised when zombies hit their neighborhood, even if they had been watchnig the news about widespread murdering and mystical diseases.

if people where prepared for it, it wouldnt be as much fun and emo.

dragonfk

Erudite
I don't give a damn about the game and don't think I will. But the trailer is superb. It's incredible, it's...I lack words in English to describe how great it is. I saw a link to this video and I thought "Ehh another video game trailer with zombies being ripped to pieces, booooring" but I clicked it nevertheless...And boy am I glad I did. The music setting the mood, the tragedy flowing from the screen. Everything is top notch. Techland you outdid yourself. They'll never be able to create a game equal to it's trailer.

MapMan

Arcane
dragonfk said:
I don't give a damn about the game and don't think I will. But the trailer is superb. It's incredible, it's...I lack words in English to describe how great it is. I saw a link to this video and I thought "Ehh another video game trailer with zombies being ripped to pieces, booooring" but I clicked it nevertheless...And boy am I glad I did. The music setting the mood, the tragedy flowing from the screen. Everything is top notch. Techland you outdid yourself. They'll never be able to create a game equal to it's trailer.

You realize that companies outsource trailers like that?

dragonfk

Erudite
Well I forgot about that little fact. But it invalidates only one my sentence:

"Techland you outdid yourself"

Rest is as valid as it ever was.

ortucis

Prophet
Luzur said:
everyone is always surprised when zombies hit their neighborhood, even if they had been watchnig the news about widespread murdering and mystical diseases.

if people where prepared for it, it wouldnt be as much fun and emo.

I disagree. "Surprised" would be if a zombie randomly starts biting/eating people in the middle of the street. The trailer showed a flood of zombies all over the place and people fighting them in the background (opening scene) while the parents were already armed and barricaded. What exactly was the girl doing outside then? Shitty parenting. :lol:

MapMan

Arcane
Maybe the parents were in for some sexy time and told the girl to gtfo and play outside?

Arcanoix

Scholar
denizsi said:
Tropical setting. WAY over played. Right.

Next, someone will bitch about the WAY over played zombie genre.

Someone I know already has. I'm not at liberty to say who he is as he is not of Codexian nature.

Phantasmal said:
As tired as I am of zombie media, that trailer was very well done and the best I've seen from gaming in years.

This poor father couldn't even sit through it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-SQc6LA2E

That guy is a PUSSY. Wait until his own daughter starts having sex. He'll probably kill himself in an emo-rage with a rusty Japanese razor.

MapMan said:
Maybe the parents were in for some sexy time and told the girl to gtfo and play outside?

Why would you let your daughter, a pre-teen blonde girl, go explore some dark hotel in the Bahamas? I mean really, someone sucks as a parent.

sick said:
- heavy atmosphere

Dying kids, zombies, oooohhh soo heavyyy sooo grim, sooo dark ugghhh...

Because Diablo 2 to the genre what Fallout was to Baldur's Gate, amirite? No? Thought so.

- 4 player co-op

So that scales to about 5 hours of actual gameplay if you play singleplayer, right?

- no level scaling

Why the fuck would there be levels in a zombie game?

Fast-travel, saferooms, and l4d-style gameplay with Diablo 2 stats OMG OMG OMG OMG.... :smug:

Still, I'll try it.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
So, the Hollywood Jews already wanna make a moofie of this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom