Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Death And Destruction, AKA, Combat Mechanics

MoLAoS

I am currently putting together a very simplified version of my combat mechanics under the theory that getting simplified major systems working will allow me to slowly complexify things over time while doing some early testing of my basic gameloop.

However, the final combat mechanics will be quite detailed even if you can't really do much during a battle, for time reasons.

I'm still working out exactly how the final version will work and I'm going to discuss some early thoughts here.

The basic mechanics are a simplification of reality. You have "Units" in your army composed of specific groups of troops you define. There is a combat range system to represent magic and ranged weapons and artillery. A unit is comprised of its type, swordsman, pikeman, archer, etc. as well as its population, that is the group of entities you choose for it. A 4 armed pikeman will have advantages over a 2 armed one and similar for height and weight. Units will have a single other unit as a target but may work in concert and at the same time be targeted by more than one enemy. You can't actually see this, all you get is a battle report, but it should influence the way you design your armies.

Larger units can take more hits, have bonuses in melee, etc. Faster units are better for position.

Aside from magic, in theory the potential populations you have available for military units and your army composition should affect the way you fight. You and your enemies will always be trying out strategies to gain an advantage. It will take a long period of time to develop new units and strategies so in theory a nation that cleverly counters an enemy will enjoy a large advantage. Imperial nations will tend to be more resistant to this since they can support multiple schools of military learning, have built up knowledge of many army compositions over time, and have access to a larger pool of potential base populations for their units. Unlike games like Paradox ones where you can tramp across Europe during a single battle, there will be a lot of positioning to win strategic campaigns. You cannot move a large army from one side of a vast empire to another side easily or without serious logistics and either way it takes time. Also because of the time it takes to understand and counter an enemy's strategy, a clever opponent has a long window where they can take advantage of getting ahead of their enemy.

Essentially its all about long term planning and strategic instead of tactical thinking. You do still direct the armies around as in Dom4 or EU4 but you won't give extensive orders ala Dom4 and making an army is much harder than 4 cavalry 12 infantry and 10 cannons ala EU4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom