Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death screams

deuxhero

Arcane
I realize this is a somewhat trival question, but how many different sound clips are there for character deaths? Is the Wilhelm scream one of them?

The_Pope

Scholar
It's very easy to just record a bunch of sounds. Even a $10 microphone is way better than silence. In fact, if it comes down to it, I'll do sound for AoD with my $10 microphone.

Noceur

Liturgist
Yeah, just playing around with kitchen utensils and hardware tools is enough for decent working sounds (for combat). Having ANY sound effects makes a world of a difference.

Of course, maybe it's more of a problem with programming/engine than sampling.

Au naturel

Scholar
I would be making efforts for sounds before upgrading the graphics any further. Even the primitive sounds in the Exile series was better than hearing nothing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That shit don't fly, nigga. Kitchen utensils clanging together > no SFX. Vault Dweller screaming into a mike to records screams > no SFX. What were you thinking?

And what does "If only we had more time" mean? So you have a terminal illness? If not then you have time until you fucking die to complete your game. No one cares if it takes another 3 years, but for the love of god, get SFX. Pay some license for that standard MS DOS SFX library every game used back in the days of Monkey Island 2 and Doom. Anything.

Edit: Steal some canned SFX from some ancient shareware game no one knows, ffs.

Edit 2: If any of you thinks that SFX are not important in a game you're a douchebag.

Au naturel

Scholar
Listen to the man. You want SFX to some degree in the game, the more the merrier. Even quaint, simplistic stuff is better than nothing.

Sound>Graphics any day of the week. Especially since you guys have gotten where you are with the shiney, time to stop fussing with that and get to the sounds.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, don't even think about releasing without sounds.

It will not only drag the game down to being perceived as quite amateurish - you will actually lose a lot of atmosphere and personal immersion.

luckyb0y

Scholar
Jora said:
Other than music, there will most likely be no sounds.

So they spend a year or so completely changing the looks of the game and no sounds? That is not sensible, is it? There are thousands of sound effects in public domain that could be used. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular, but otherwise it will feel upolished. Even rudimentary set of basic effects particularly in combat is essential. It will loose much of its appeal not hearing anything while bashing their heads in with a warhammer. Think about it - it shouldn't take more than about two months. What difference does it make - none. Maybe there's someone on the codex that would volunteer like Elhoim did.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Is this a joke?

What sounds do you need? Post a list. I'm sure I and others would be happy to oblige.

If not at least include sound functionality. I would rather mod it in myself then go without.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The death screams are in. Check it out:

Death scream #1: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Death scream #2: OOOOOUUUUUHHHH!!!!
Death scream #3: EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!!

Which one you guys like the most?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Which one you guys like the most?

I like the first one, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!" but I'm also leaning towards the "EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!!". What about a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" one?

And Jasede and Mattie, where have your posts gone? :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I removed it, hoping VD was just pretending to be a dick for the lulz.

Eh, what do I care? Just in case you do ignore the SFX issue, do not complain when no one cares about your game.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Of course the game will include sound. You've seen the video, the screenshots and heard some of the music. I can't see a, "We can't be bothered to pay for sound effects/We are too lazy" when so much effort has gone into creating this game. I can feel the love, as it were.

TheLostOne

Savant
Dood sound effex are so last-gen. They've had them in games for like 90 yearhs. Silent games are teh future. No annoying noises to distract you from teh immershun of the AMAZING grafix.

Morbus

Scholar
If you need help regarding sound, free help, I can lend a very inexperienced hand. At least for voice recording and sounds like the click of things or something. Sounds on menu clicks are a must, and ingame clicks too.

P.S.: Portuguese accent included. No stupidly low and gritty forced voices available at the moment.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah I realised they were trying to be clever when they said there was no sound other than music.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Now that VD is a regular poster he's catching up with the whole lulz thing. Expect some cleverly hidden goatse links and a monthly nsfw image to follow soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom