Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
the actual *woke* one is the disho 2 expandalone

What was too woke in that, other than the traumatizing act of having to play a black woman? I don't remember much in that game annoying me either. Certainly not on the level of The Outer Worlds' "every man is an idiot" problem.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Well we know they're working on a new game, a fantasy one so either Dark Messiah (or a spiritual successor) or Arx Fatalis 2.

Not the Lyon team. And that fantasy project in that LinkedIn profile has been refuted.
Didn't Harvey mention he was working on a new project? I know it's not the Lyon studio.

Yes, but what makes you think it's Arx 2?
I hope it is. They know fans have been asking for it for quite some time. There's a fan base for it.

JDR13

Arcane
Meh... nothing I've seen about this game so far appeals to me at all, and I'm a big fan of the studio.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think it looks pretty dope, like a high concept open-world Hitman. (But I've also not played their Dishonored series so maybe I'm not burned out on the style.)

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Will be fun to watch the likes of StealthGamerBR play the shit out of this one.

I think the trailers' focus on mostly shooting enemies at point black and telekinetically throwing around their bodies gets old fast, and does the game a disservice. Doom Eternal looked (and is) way more dynamic by comparison. The timed-exclusivity deal will most certainly guaranty its commercial failure.

Thankfully, Deathloop will be a one-off, and the Lyon team will get back to Dishonored with a brand new storyline.

KK1001

Arbiter
The graphics look like dog shit. I think it'll be fun though. Arkane rarely blunders.

ferratilis

Magister
It's Void. Why do you hate Void?

The levels give me a Dishonored 2 vibe, and that is a good thing. I'm still concerned about the whole action-y approach though. I hope they let me play like a press sneak fuck.

I don't hate it, it just runs like shit. I've played Dishonored 2 on two different PCs, one with GTX 970 and now with RX 5700 XT, and there are still fps drops in larger areas. But there are reasons to hate the engine, because they went from Unreal engine in Dishonored 1 (which ran just fine) to Void in the second (which was based on idtech 5), to Cryengine in Prey, and now they are returning to the worst one of the bunch. Don't get me wrong, Arkane is one of the best studios out there, but what they do with engines is just dumb. It's almost like they are flexing at this point. Just pick one, stick with it, get better with it over time and development will be much easier. That's what most studios do, at least.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
to Void in the second (which was based on idtech 5), to Cryengine in Prey, and now they are returning to the worst one of the bunch.

Note that Prey and Dishonored 2 were developed by different teams, their development was simultaneous, they didn't switch "back" to Void, Arkane Lyon is the team that was making Dishonored 2 and is now making Deathloop and they made Void. Arkane Austin is the team that worked on Prey and they're working on something else (though it isn't known what nor what engine they use).

BTW Void is based on id tech 5 but they kinda broke it by rewriting the renderer in Direct3D, the original engine didn't had the issues Dishonored 2 had - MachineGames also used id tech 5 and aside from some popping on AMD GPUs it was fine.

ferratilis

Magister
Started watching that, but decided to quit because I've never been more clueless about how a game works before, and it feels good. Going into it blind will be a great experience. I'm expecting something like Mooncrash, just more elaborate. The only disappointment could be if they royally fuck up the optimization, otherwise Arkane's track record suggests this will be another good title.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm interested, just not sure about the 24hs thing. Is this a real time limit? If it is, this will punish people who go slow and more stealthy but at the same time it maybe fun trying to come up with a plan to get all targets in the 24hs. Also, is this always online? I heard you can play to ruin other players runs and they can do the same to you. It maybe fun having to deal with a player trying to ruin your run but at same time, I might not be that interested into online competitive play all the time. Maybe a cooldown after a player failed trying to ruin your run might be necessary otherwise this might end more annoying than fun.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, is this always online? I heard you can play to ruin other players runs and they can do the same to you. It maybe fun having to deal with a player trying to ruin your run but at same time, I might not be that interested into online competitive play all the time. Maybe a cooldown after a player failed trying to ruin your run might be necessary otherwise this might end more annoying than fun.
I think I read that you can turn off "player invasion"? I too hope it's well-designed to stop repetitive griefing. 'Cause you know there will be those people out there that do nothing but practice 80 hours a week, and like nothing better than stopping others, over and over, from playing the game.

That said, a little PvP can spice up a game like this and I hope to see a reasonably regulated drop-in system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom