Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(Demo) Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge

Trexrell44

Educated
Hey guys!

My name is Tyrell White and I'm a member of a small development team. Well its my wife and I. We started out as wanting to develop games but before we got into full development we became hobbyist to hone our skills. Now we are making our first commercial project.

I am really looking to spread the word about our project and this seems like a really cool place to post it.

We call ourselves White Guardian Studios, and our project is called Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge. A 2d jrpg inspired by comics and the games that we think are great. Games like Suikoden 2, Legend of Dragoon, and Final Fantasy with a pinch of Wild Arms second ignition.

We are using all the basics which we feel are essential in jrpgs like a world map, expanding party, airships, varied locations and a unique story about race and religion. About how time can disturb the true meaning behind what matters most to society and turn it into something ugly and misguided.

"On Hasphal, humans rule the world. Jehts, a race dissimilar to humanity, are forced to the harsh regions of the world as decreed by the human Gods the Gaddock. You play in a world lost in time. Traditions have started to dissolve and places thought to be sacred are being explored and excavated. Relics of a great ancestor begin to surface and religions and a way of life is challenged. New technology has surfaced and the age of the Gaddocks begin to fade as the Jehts are ready to claim the world as their own."

4b8d35eac6d3091d7228d96e33009a3e_large.png

Our goal for this project is to make it well rounded. Even though jrpgs are known for their story and puzzles. We feel that a lot of them(especially the 2d variety) sort of neglects the battlesystem.

We are putting as much work into the battesytem that we are putting into the rest of the game. It is sporting full sized 2d pixel work with beautiful backgrounds as well as a dynamic camera system. It has a condition turn based system which adds that strategic element in battle. We also are implementing a system in which you can interact with objects such as trees and pillars to help give players the edge in sticky situations.

9029bc7ed1d6f7dadd39a81f4c2d3256_large.gif

When it came to exploration we want you to be able to interact with the environment. Although we map with borders and passiblity limits, you can still climb, jump, swim and pick up objects. As well as use character specific tools to open your path to explore hidden places and find secret objects.
17f24e0b613705406595a0c044519959_large.gif
ee41ec9062e4f52adee2bcc34f7b5c51_large.gif

Since we are huge comic fans we thought it would help us not only separate our game from most rpgs but introduce an art style to the genre that is rarely used. So as far as presentation goes we help progress the story with motion comic cut scenes both pixelated and high quality pieces.
a8eb7c188be5ebe74a5697dde2f7480c_large.png

We have a very basic demo released if you would like to try it and give feedback. We would love to know what people think.

Demo

Celestial tear Demon's Revenge will be separated into at least 2 parts for the PC. Each part being a complete adventure lasting at least 14 hours. We really would love to get greenlit on Steam. So every vote counts.

Steam
home Page
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Trexrell44

Educated
Taking in some feedback one and trying new faceports.
Took your feedback and now we have new ports what do you think?

Jagen_1_zpsac549f58.gif

Sinara_1_zps5ccf6f6a.gif

One of the things we are trying to do to make the game unique is getting a really strong hold on the comic book theme. So we are going to try to go all out with it. Incorporating new text boxes and some old school onomatopoeia. Let us know how we are doing. With your feedback can help shape the game.

Those who have played it took the survey and it is giving us a real good idea on what we need to do.

laclongquan

Arcane
Describe your game in one single sentence, please, because I cant get a clear image of what your game is.

Suikoden is gather 108 characters in a water fortress to wage war against the status quo, forging a new nation. Which mean they have a central place to gather, a varied group of character, strategic war.

Comic is too broad a term to define your game.

Trexrell44

Educated
Thrown into a world of bigotry and injustice jehts(demons) try desperately to reclaim there land and dignity from the humans religious rule. In your effort to try to unite the two warring races you uncover a conspiracy that transcends time and space. A mystery that could destroy your world.

H-K

Learned
Will there be Rectum Gobblers and Penisaurus? This is Important!

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The battle art-style is cool, but the exploration art looks like every RPG Maker game ever...

Also, enough about art. What's your aim with the battle system?

Trexrell44

Educated
Jick Magger there is not any rape in this game.

felipepepe I'm sorry I can except it looks like every RPG Maker game ever. Please show me one RPG maker game that looks even remotely close. Has as much animation or polish. Or steps out of the box in terms of exploration and discovery. Exploration includes a bunch of things that you would find in most rpgs made today. Swimming, jumping and using tools that are specific to each character(WildArms series). 90% rpg maker games uses the same assets and lack the uniqueness that separate it from each other. Ours does not. Every art asset you see was made for this project. A lot has went into the menus and code to make this game fun and engaging please try the demo.

snap0002_zpsd3d9d37e.png
testmapscreenshot.png
Kraken.png

Our presentation is far superior to most rpg maker games. Sporting motion comic cut-scenes both hi res and pixilated.

Instead of gong with anime we embraced more western style art to bring something new to the genre.
TheRidders_zps5899ecc3.png

The battlesystem

The aim of our battle system is to take away the monotony of pressing the attack button and have it be less repetitive and more fun and strategic. In our demo is a very basic version of it and it has many of the things you would find in a basic system. In our final version each character will have a slightly different playstyle as we took some ques from a variety of different games. We will have environmental interactions like cutting or knocking down trees or pillars on your enemies. Each character will have a unique way to effect the battlefield such as leadership abilities,strength and stealth among others. We are implementing a system similar to Legend of Dragoon in which you used timed button presses to pull off unique combos. Unity attacks between certain characters(Suikoden) and a summoning system similar to final fantasy 8 in which it protects your Hp a little bit but also like final fantasy 10 in which they fight for you instead of a single animation sequence.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Played a little bit. Voice-overs are not good, sorry, would like to have an option to mute them. Will play more.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
a lot of your spritework on the longhaired dude looks like he has small to medium breasts.

Trexrell44

Educated
a lot of your spritework on the longhaired dude looks like he has small to medium breasts.
You know I was looking at that the other day. Especially when he faces the side I will definitely change that. Thanks for the feedback.

Sinatar

Arbiter
The camera swinging back and forth on the battles looks like it'd get old in about 5 seconds flat. I'd recommend having the beasties and your party on one screen.

Trexrell44

Educated
The camera swinging back and forth on the battles looks like it'd get old in about 5 seconds flat. I'd recommend having the beasties and your party on one screen.
A bunch of people said that it may be like that. Most of the people who tried the demo really did not find a problem with it. That is primarily why we had a survey to see what people like and dislike about the actual experience. In our next trailer we are going to have a better representation of that as the camera does not move nearly that much as shown.

Trexrell44

Educated
Boss Enemy Design Contest!
demons_revenge_by_goweliang-d793uio.jpg

In honor of our upcoming Kickstarter, we are doing a boss enemy design contest in order for someone to win some really cool stuff before the campaign even begins. We want people to get involved with the creation of the game and we figured this is the best way of doing it.

Here is how you enter:

1. Draw a boss by the 28th of August. The boss can be a human, jeht (demonoid being), or a creative mystical beast. Just about anything you can think of.
2. Write a compelling back story describing its powers and abilities.
3. Email your drawings to yin@whiteguardianstudios.com with the subject line: Boss Enemy Design Contest!

Join our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DemonsRevenge
We will announce the winner on Facebook, Twitter, and our main website. There, you can comment onyour submission and put more attention towards your creation!

What Do You Win?

concepts_zps0b58b4bc.png
zone_by_goweliang-d6mvklg.jpg

The winner gets their boss in the game, a poster of your creation drawn by our artist Ricky Gunawan. The winner will also receive a copy of the game.

Rules or Restrictions:

- By submitting to our design contest, you agree that you will give us your mailing address if chosen as the winner (unless you don't want the physical prize).

- If the design is a human, they normally derive their magical abilities from objects or the type of region where they are from.

- If the design is a jeht, they generally have red, black, white, or dark purple skin. Some are shape shifters and can look like humans with extremely pale skin tones. They usually have abilities derived from their physical physique, which is of immense strength and speed, and have natural abilities that deal with the elements of light, darkness, fire, water, ice, earth, and wind.

- Mystical creature anything goes.

- You agree that you are age of consent in your country, or have permission from an adult to give out your address and receive a prize from us.

- You can submit as many designs as you like

- You do not need to be a great artist as we will be judging the contest based on creativity in the design, story, and powers/abilities.

- If it's anthropomorphic, please don't use nudity. It will not be chosen.

- We reserve the right to change the rules as we see fit if necessary.

- Ask any questions on facebook, twitter, or our website, DemonsRevenge.com.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Will it have mini games?
Because mini games frankly suck in 95% times in games.

The best one I can think of is that sky of arcadias airship battle thing.

Trexrell44

Educated
Will it have mini games?
Because mini games frankly suck in 95% times in games.

The best one I can think of is that sky of arcadias airship battle thing.

The only mini game that we have seriously concentrated on was a very simple trading card battle game. Our intentions with it was to bring players closer to the universe we are trying to build and introduce some of the characters in upcoming games.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Here is how you enter:

1. Draw a boss by the 28th of August. The boss can be a human, jeht (demonoid being), or a creative mystical beast. Just about anything you can think of.
2. Write a compelling back story describing its powers and abilities.
3. Email your drawings to yin@whiteguardianstudios.com with the subject line: Boss Enemy Design Contest!

crojipjip Go go gadget poop monster!

Trexrell44

Educated
Recently we have gotten some question about the battle system and I wanted to clarify some things. I want to let people know what the final product will produce apposed to what it is now in the demo.

The Battle System:

As it stands right now it has every bit of the functionality of any other battle system. Our goal for it is to not be a button mashing fest. We personally realize that it is that way but it is indeed far from complete. A lot of the functions are currently in the game but not yet fully implemented.

Environmental Interaction:

This function is currently in this build. With this you can use a special skill to affect the battlefield. If there is an object on the battlefield, your party members would use their abilities to interact with it. These things would incorporate their strength, stealth or whatever that particular character could do. These things would range from hiding behind objects, knocking down or picking up objects or blowing them up. Yin even came up with a cool idea in an area where there would be chemicals or alchemy in which you knock the opponent into it and they could have a chance to transform into a werewolf or something like that.

Positioning:

This is actually something quite new that we noticed about the current system you will be able to have your character move to a particular position on the map to either avoid certain things, or to gather them for buffs or healing. The strategy would lie within who you were facing and what would be the best thing to do. Especially when it came to AOE spells and attacks. This is something quite new and we are still going over the details. It gives more depth to the environmental aspect and makes it a bit more strategic.

Switching Party Members:

There is currently the ability to switch out party members mid battle. When there is a situation where a character is low on health or their abilities are a not too effective in a particular situation you can switch them out.

Combo System

We love turn based combat. We think it is fun and engaging in its own unique way. We are also a big fan of a good challenge combined with plenty of action. So we are working on a way to get timed hits that form into combos similar Legend of Dragoon. Each character will play very differently depending on their speed and type of abilities they may have. We are also talking about taking some cues from Tales of Vesperia in which a magic user can tap a button to cast faster or do a more advanced spell. We want the players to feel engaged with this system and feel like the battles are just as important and fun as the story and adventure.

Cooperative Attacks

Characters that hold a connection to each other will be able to do a unity attack similar to Suikoden 2. They will be unlocked similar to Wild Arms 4 (Through scenes and building connection to other party members).

Summoning(Jehts)

This is an ability that only Jehts/Demons can do, which will function like a limit break (Bar fills up and opens new abilities). It will protect you similar to the GF in Final Fantasy 8, but you will control and summon it.

Rage(Humans)

Rage is an ability like summoning, used like a limit break. It allows the human to do an ultimate attack similar to final Fantasy 7.

Trexrell44

Educated
Hey guys! We have lots of news and big things happening for CT: DR that have all come at the right time.

First let me start by saying that your support has really given us the confidence to go on and try our best to complete this game. It is a passion of ours to make this game as well as others and see it to completion. This is something we started way before Mugen and we finally have the skills and know how to get it done.

I will like to show you guys some of the cool contest submissions we have had over the course of the event. There are some pretty creative entries as well as some unique and interesting stories. The contest ends soon so get your submissions in by the 28th.

Contest Submission

6rMFNzAvwGZvs8wNAARWgsw8JQz58_zps0a595451.jpg

10617258_10204957724009830_1056291473_n_zpseefe9aa7.jpg

10602713_699698640112874_2083286823_n_zpsd4a41d12.jpg

10617281_699709130111825_1288223023_n_zpsd8ec5e05.jpg

IMG_20140811_160316_zps4ea842a1.jpg

Pt0kg9Z_zps4cde8176.jpg

QFlaBjP_zps8bb15934.jpg

We have also had a very good game commentator by the name of Flick do a nice video on our game check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780xXavo1BY

We have also had some rather interesting streams one that I was very excited about.I watch this stream every Sunday when I'm not working and I am a big fan.
photo.jpg

We had a really good interview and they played our game on the stream. I was extremely excited to be on their show and the video will be uploaded on their page on Monday.

Epocu

The Epocu campaign is going really well. We only have a few more days left but we only need 10 more supporters. Help us reach that goal guys and we will be more than ready for our next launch. Here is the link here we really need your support.

Epocu

fe59a6_aaead1827c184211a6cff8c6308e2479.png_srz_p_630_299_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

We have been receiving a lot of news coverage these past couple of days. Youtubers and streamers, not to mention the contest. We have decided this is as good of a time as any to do our third and final Kickstarter campaign for CT: DR on September 2nd. Guys we really need your support. I'm working on a new trailer and we are sending out more emails, talking to more lets players, and getting everyone excited for this. We are doing a lot of work but we can not do this without our supporters, our friends, and our fans. For more info check out our blog post.
Demon's Revenge Blog

We really need you guys feedback on our current campaign please review the preview and let us know what you think. The new trailer will be uploaded before we launch.Kickstarter Preview

Trexrell44

Educated
We had another great review. If you want to see if the demo is worth playing please check this out.

Trexrell44

Educated
All entries for the contest are in. We have had some really good participation and it will be a lot of fun seeing these creations in game. I would love to have everyone who participated be a winner but we are going to do it in a community vote on the official website. Look out for the link as we will be posting that soon.

In just 5 days our Kickstarter campaign goes live! We are really getting close and we really are hoping for a huge showing from our community. This not only helps us bring people the game sooner, but provides it with much more quality and scale. It becomes a bridge for future games from us and allows people to be a part of development. If you have not yet subscribed to our newsletter and want to keep informed here is the link just click on the kickstarter banner. http://demonsrevenge.com/

We finally have the interview that we did with Average Giants. I stumbled over my words because I was so excited! I do not think I even gave the reviewers enough time to ask questions.

Indranys

Savant
I'm not interested anymore in JRPG.
But good luck anyway mate. :salute:
If you make Darklands clone on the other hand, then I'll definitely back you man.

Trexrell44

Educated
I'm not interested anymore in JRPG.
But good luck anyway mate. :salute:
If you make Darklands clone on the other hand, then I'll definitely back you man.
Thanks we are going to need all the luck we can get.

Voting is up for anyone who wants to participate.

Contest Voting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom