Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Detroit: Become Human - new David Cage game

Plisken

Learned
dude is a fucking hack, do these videogames actually sell well enough that production companies give him money to make more shit?

Cage was the first game developer to receive the Legion of Honour,[5] the highest decoration granted in France.[6]

:nocountryforshitposters:

I see france still hasn't recovered psychologically from being raped by germany

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was in the demo just then, and there's motion control in this - you're shaking the controller to prevent the abuse, which didn't seem appropriate to me in a scene as powerful as that.

Domestic abuse QTEs, lol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...etroit-and-its-depiction-of-domestic-violence

David Cage on Detroit and its depiction of domestic violence
"Would you ask this question to a film director, or to a writer? Would you?"

David Cage is no stranger to controversy. Through the 20 years of Quantic Dream's existence - an anniversary celebrated after last night's PlayStation showcase that kicked off Paris Games Week - the French studio has always made games that push at various boundaries. The trailer for Detroit: Become Human, Quantic Dream's forthcoming PlayStation 4 game that explores the moral implications of the rise of artificial intelligence, was perhaps the developer's most controversial yet - a short, often brutal look at a chapter of protagonist Kara's story in which scenes of domestic abuse and child abuse feature heavily.

It made for uncomfortable viewing, and having seen the scene play out in full - and through different permutations, illustrating the branching paths of Detroit: Become Human - I can't say I felt any more comfortable with it, especially when it's complemented by the sight of producer Guillaume de Fondaumière dramatically gesticulating with the controller as he plays through. Are such issues fair game for video games? And, perhaps more pertinently, is Detroit: Become Human exploring them responsibly? It's a topic which will prove divisive, so I wanted to talk through it with Cage himself.

Have you had a chance to see some of the feedback to yesterday's trailer?

David Cage: No.

It's been mixed, I think it's fair to say. Some people have applauded it for going where it went, some are saying it's a bit too brutal and a bit too much. What's your take on that?

David Cage: What's my take on that? I try to tell a story that matters to me, that I find moving, interesting and exciting and my role as a creator is to maybe deliver something that people don't expect. Would I be doing my job as a creator if I was making the game you want me to make? I don't think so - I'm creating something that I find moving and meaningful. And I think people should see the scene, play the game and see it in context to really understand it. The rule I give myself is to never glorify violence, to never do anything gratuitous. It has to have a purpose, have a meaning, and create something that is hopefully meaningful for people.

Domestic abuse and child abuse is quite extreme as these things go.

David Cage: Let me ask you this question. Would you ask this question to a film director, or to a writer? Would you?

Yes.

David Cage: You would ask the same question?

Yes. I'd ask the same question. Why is it interesting to you? Why did you want to explore domestic abuse and child abuse?

David Cage: Why did I want to do this? For me it's a very strong and moving scene, and I was interested to put the player in the position of this woman. I chose her point of view. If I'd have chosen the point of view of the man it could have been a totally different story and with totally different emotions, but in this case I chose her point of view. There's a context in the story, there's a reason for that - where she comes from and where she's going to go. What's important to me, and what's important in Detroit is to say that a game is as legitimate as a film or a book or a play to explore any topic such as domestic abuse.

I'm not disputing that at all. The concern I have is that it's using something like domestic abuse and child abuse - which is a very real issue for unfortunately far too many people - and using it as window dressing rather than exploring the ramifications of those issues.

David Cage: There will always be people thinking that we've used this... But I don't think that's what we do. If you look really into the game and if you play it you'll understand that the game is not about domestic abuse. It's a part of Kara's story - she's not a victim and she has a beautiful story. Hopefully you will be moved by what happens.

jpg

So why did you choose to use domestic abuse to illustrate these points?

David Cage: You don't choose to talk about domestic abuse. It's not like I was like 'oh, let's write a scene about domestic abuse'. It's not how it works. When you're a writer you talk about things that move you, that you feel really deep inside you that's something that moves you, and you hope it'll move people too. You know there are two ways you can do this - 'oh let's do something cool and let's have someone beaten by a man', that's one way of doing things, because people are going to write about it and it's going to sell my game. That's one way of doing it.

The other way is to say I'm working on something important, something meaningful and something moving. There's a meaning behind it, there's a strong story I need to tell - it goes through dark moments, but I think the story I have to tell it as it's something important for me. And I think when you do this, you do your work as an author, you do your work as a writer. You go into dark places, in order to create something positive about it. It's never a conscious decision to say let's talk about something cool and violence - no, I want to talk about something moving and meaningful, that's my job as a writer. I'm the first judge, and I hope that people will feel the same.

I was in the demo just then, and there's motion control in this - you're shaking the controller to prevent the abuse, which didn't seem appropriate to me in a scene as powerful as that.

David Cage: For 20 years we play with control in a quite different way to people in the industry because we work on what we call the sense of mimicry - it's about making you feel with your computer what your character feels onscreen. It can lead to some strange things - like feeling awkward because you're trying to press many buttons at the same time. But if your character feels awkward on screen in the same way, it creates a link. We're really working with this sense of mimicry - we play with this when you try and push something.

jpg

Finally - I know I need to wrap up - is nothing off-limits as far as you're concerned as a writer?

David Cage: Off-limits? What is off-limits is what goes beyond the values I believe in. There are things I'd never do. I'd never do a racist game, or a misogynist game. These are the limits. When you feel okay with the content and the meaning when you know you have nothing to be ashamed of because it's fair and it tells the right story and because it's moving. There are no limits.

There's been these discussion in literature for years and years and years - one of the most famous poets was called Baudelaire, this guy was sued because he was talking about things he should be ashamed of. Today he's one of the most famous poets in French literature. I think it's normal that we have this conversation in games now. It's part of the process.

There was a lot of people going over the limits for bad reasons or no reason - which is even worse - but this medium shouldn't condemn people trying to explore these aspects, as long as they're honest and sincere and have an honest attitude towards it. I don't think we should point our fingers towards them and say you shouldn't do this because you're a game maker. This is who you are. So stay at your place. You're not a filmmaker, you're not a book writer, you're just a game maker so shut up. No, I don't think that'd be fair.

Games are a medium like anything - it's more than a medium for me, I've been saying the same thing for 20 years, it's an art form, and an art form should be free to express different things, including strong and dark emotions as long as it's done in a fair, honest and sincere way. That's what I hope I'm doing with Detroit - and believe me, we ask ourselves these questions every morning. We take it very seriously as we feel like we have a responsibility.

frajaq

Erudite
Thanks for taking your time to finding out, I was also confused with who was that directed to :lol:

PEACH

Arbiter

Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Cage has bamboozled himself into thinking he's some medium-defining high art auteur and I guess people go along with it? Obviously nothing wrong with touching the themes he's been gravitating toward more and more, but when you're that stupid in addition to only using them as a catalyst for being transparently emotionally manipulative under the guise of talking about difficult subject matter it gets really tasteless really fast.

Not that it's surprising, Beyond Two Souls crams in an attempted gang rape shortly before you fight a Navajo sand demon after all. Only thing the medium has to do with it is that in any other one he'd be recognized as a hack before he published his first work.

Fuckin comparing himself to Baudelaire :roll: what a clueless dipshit. Maybe next interview he can explain Dante Alighieri and Marquis de Sade to us.

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
I personally don't like David Cage, but I don't get what the interviewer was trying to achieve.
  • Why is it interesting to you? Why did you want to explore domestic abuse and child abuse?
  • Domestic abuse and child abuse is quite extreme as these things go
  • The concern I have is that it's using something like domestic abuse and child abuse and using it as window dressing rather than exploring the ramifications of those issues.
  • So why did you choose to use domestic abuse to illustrate these points?
  • Finally, is nothing off-limits as far as you're concerned as a writer?
The "interviewer" makes the guy seem as if he is promoting child abuse, by constantly forcing the same question over and over again.

I was in the demo just then, and there's motion control in this -- you're shaking the controller to prevent the abuse, which didn't seem appropriate to me in a scene as powerful as that
What else was he expecting the player to do in a game that encourages the use of a motion controller?

Like I said, I don't like David Cage, but this seems like SJW bullshit to me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not arguing that David Cage's writing needs improvement, but I feel bad for him becaues it seems he is the actual punching bag for games journalists at the moment. Just like a year ago it was Peter Molyneux. These are these times when these "journalists" want to show hard hitting "journalism", so they find some poor sod to ridicule. Never mind that they are slurping up shitty writing for decades in other games (cough...Bioware). Suddenly they have to roast Cage for not creating a psychology simulator about domestic abuse.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm not arguing that David Cage's writing needs improvement, but I feel bad for him becaues it seems he is the actual punching bag for games journalists at the moment. Just like a year ago it was Peter Molyneux. These are these times when these "journalists" want to show hard hitting "journalism", so they find some poor sod to ridicule. Never mind that they are slurping up shitty writing for decades in other games (cough...Bioware). Suddenly they have to roast Cage for not creating a psychology simulator about domestic abuse.
I agree with you mate,journos will be journos. They are just a bunch of talentless envious hateful hacks.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any idea what he's referring to?

David Cage interview on Eurogamer about the depiction of domestic violence in his recent game, and Rhianna Pratchett and others' reactions to that, I think.
Understandable position from him considering how often he loves to add rape into his games. Like how he had Kreia get raped. Granny rape. By a man who potentially no longer has the required asset.

? Who are you referring to?

Josh Sawyer wasn't even employed at Obsidian during the development of KOTOR2.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, I can't really hate that guy. Actually, I'm kind of jealous.

I like slightly androgynous women and tasteful rape scenes too, but he was able to turn his passion into a life long career.

Godspeed you sick french fuck.

PS: In b4 molestation allegations from Ellen Page. Seems to be popular nowadays.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Any idea what he's referring to?

David Cage interview on Eurogamer about the depiction of domestic violence in his recent game, and Rhianna Pratchett and others' reactions to that, I think.
Understandable position from him considering how often he loves to add rape into his games. Like how he had Kreia get raped. Granny rape. By a man who potentially no longer has the required asset.

? Who are you referring to?

Josh Sawyer wasn't even employed at Obsidian during the development of KOTOR2.
Oh. I might be confusing Sawyer with avellone again.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Seems like an ok adventure game with C&C, should be better than beyond because you have 4 choices to choose in conversations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom