Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Deus Ex 3 is More Demanding than the Original

zeitgeist

Magister
Drakron said:
commie said:
And yet if the original had minigames and this one had an ICEbreaker, you'd be howling at the dumbing down of a once great franchise! :roll:

Maybe but I also hate minigames.

Also hacking in Deus Ex was not that much mandatory as all computers had passwords and the minigame was guessing the password from a list.

So you had two choices, hack or go look for the password ... what are the chances that in DX3 the choices are hacking or password and not hacking and password?
The things I liked most in DX were the details - like how you could ctrl-c and ctrl-v anything from the computers you accessed into your notes and such. This is obviously impossible on a console, and the entire computer access side of the game will obviously be "streamlined" into automatic data logs and hacking minigame. The good thing about computers in DX was how the information in them behaved like actual information, not how complex the "minigame" to access that information was. Reading the right emails and remembering or saving the right information for the right time *was* the minigame and this is infinitely more interesting as a concept than any hacking minigame could ever be.

That said, I don't mind an Uplink-style minigame at all, but it's ridiculous to think it ads anything to the immersion factor or complexity. It will serve only as a slightly more involving QTE.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really loved hunting down login names and passwords in Deus Ex. It was one of the elements that made exploration so worthwile - open a closet in someone's room and find a datapad with the login and password.

If I remember correctly, sometimes you could even find one pad that still had the old password and then elsewhere a pad where it said something like "I've changed your password, it's now lolcocks".

I wonder if they still got that in DX3.

J1M

Arcane
I wouldn't worry about the dialog being too fast or confusing. The person claiming this is a games journalist.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Lyric Suite said:
Deus Ex was never about C&C, it was about gameplay choices and level design.

I think this is the way more shooters with supposed depth in gameplay should aspire to, gameplay choices and clever level design (like little sandboxes) In these games C&C could be implemented as an afterthought really (like Deus Ex, endgame), just for marketing purposes, and most people would be happy with that.

Achilles

Arcane
It's a shame that the term "sanbox" has devolved into "you can have coffee with your cousin or play darts", insted of "you have multiple ways to complete your objective". :(

Another thing I have noted in regards to DE3 is the constant cutting to cutscenes. What the hell is that about? Forced story telling? And the cinematic rubbish for 'finishing moves'....

Not impressed so far. I will, as always, wait for the reations upon release, and then wait for the reactions a few months down the line once the usual retardation has settled re graphics/bloom/starry eyed clowns.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DX3 is going to suck hard.

Wait till you'll read about its "stealth" from Gamescom
Haha fucking disgrace. But now those retards defending AP can say that "stealth" in Desu Ex is indeed no better

Blackadder said:
Another thing I have noted in regards to DE3 is the constant cutting to cutscenes. What the hell is that about? Forced story telling?
RPG man. It even has dialogue wheel like in ME and AP!
And hacking minigames too

tunguska

Liturgist
Warren Spector had absolutely nothing to do with even a single design aspect of Ultima Underworld I or II. Nothing. Zero. Not a single thing. He himself has expressed annoyance at the fact that so many people want to give him credit for something that he had nothing to do with. Warren Spector was just a producer. He was a suit who did most of his work over at Origin. He was not a game designer or programmer or artist at Blue Sky or Looking Glass.

As for Deus Ex 3, I am also skeptical, but this E3 trailer from the publisher, Square Enix, makes the game look amazing. So I have a little bit of hope.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Alexandros said:
It's a shame that the term "sanbox" has devolved into "you can have coffee with your cousin or play darts", insted of "you have multiple ways to complete your objective". :(

No. Sandbox originally meant... sandbox. A game area/level/map where you could create shit, ruin shit or affect shit in many ways and it stayed like that.

Today sandbox stands for a relatively "open-ended" map where you can run around. Does it make sense?

J1M said:
MetalCraze said:
Why? I already played it. Except it was called Mass Effect 2 that time.
Fixed.

There is a difference?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom