Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2 being remade on starcraft 2 engine - C&D letter in 3... 2...

DraQ

Arcane
No. But you can be jealous.
Of? You playing a repetitive, thinly disguised slot machine simulator? You not having any friends or associates to play an MMO-lite with you? You playing it anyway, repeatedly? All of the above?
+M

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Patreon said:
400 Dollar Goal: While not enough for full-time dev, any amount of pledges helps and with this goal comes one full day developement each weeks!

ONE DAY DEVELOPMENT EACH WEEKS!!!

Patreon is ruining the internet.. one bottom feeder turned super star at a time.
Wtf. for 400$ per week you can almost be a full time developer in my country.

DraQ

Arcane
No. But you can be jealous.
Of? You playing a repetitive, thinly disguised slot machine simulator? You not having any friends or associates to play an MMO-lite with you? You playing it anyway, repeatedly? All of the above?
+M
Now I know you are 100% jealous.
You being a moron?
No. Are you?
No, I'm not jealous of that. Glad that we at least agree that I shouldn't.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why the fuck would anyone wanna play diablo 2 in 2016
Should we play Diablo 3 instead?

Yes. Actually you could play any of the new generation diablo clones with active devs (D3, PoE, Grim Dawn) and be satisfied. They're not as good as D2 but if you've played D2 to death they're more than good enough.
Diablo 2 is still king. And D2 in nicer looking engine will be better than all the modern diablo likes.

The Starcraft engine makes it look like complete shit.

The modders should use Unity at the very least.

All that I demand is a more horror-rooted ARPG like this timeless before and after photo shop THAT SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN NERFED:

20080808_diablo_iii_comparison.jpg

The original looks better. In fact Diablo 3 has a very cool and unique art style, somewhat reminiscent of 80s action cartoons like Thundarr the Barbarian or Galtar and the Golden Lance. The "improvement" looks too much like generic 3d.

Shin

Cipher

Assuming that's a non-professional work, whoever did this clearly knows the craft, that's a very fine and effective montage through and through. The typical uploader wouldn't have tried more than long talking heads and still shots of the full area with the fight happening as an actual AI-vs-AI encounter, complete with obvious animation switches, characters stopping between turns, and maybe even mouse rotation for good measure (because we all love shaky unsteady panning shots). That guy did a great job at hiding obvious videogame awkwardness.

still an abomination though

why the fuck would anyone wanna play diablo 2 in 2016
Should we play Diablo 3 instead?

Yes. Actually you could play any of the new generation diablo clones with active devs (D3, PoE, Grim Dawn) and be satisfied. They're not as good as D2 but if you've played D2 to death they're more than good enough.
Diablo 2 is still king. And D2 in nicer looking engine will be better than all the modern diablo likes.

The Starcraft engine makes it look like complete shit.

The modders should use Unity at the very least.

All that I demand is a more horror-rooted ARPG like this timeless before and after photo shop THAT SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN NERFED:

20080808_diablo_iii_comparison.jpg

The original looks better. In fact Diablo 3 has a very cool and unique art style, somewhat reminiscent of 80s action cartoons like Thundarr the Barbarian or Galtar and the Golden Lance. The "improvement" looks too much like generic 3d.

Well, it goes against the first and second game's dark and grainy look.

I've played probably an hour of D3 so far, but some of the combat videos I watched of end game content were pretty stylized and cool looking (combat being the only "plus")

You gotta remember that Diablo 1 was considered a horror game when it was released in 1996.

What Blizzard did with this franchise can be compared to what id Software is doing with their newest Doom project.

Doom now looks like a silly ass cartoon since Bethesda got their meat hooks on id's best IP.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Doom 3 was utter shit, I don't see how they could possibly screw up 4 even more. Doom to me was always about slaughtering hordes of demons with good special effects and level design.

Yeah, it's a huge shift from Diablo 1, but as I mentioned earlier the genre just isn't suited for horror. Diablo 1's gameplay was pretty terrible. I don't blame blizzard for subjugating the art to service the gameplay.

Doom 3 was utter shit, I don't see how they could possibly screw up 4 even more. Doom to me was always about slaughtering hordes of demons with good special effects and level design.

Yeah, it's a huge shift from Diablo 1, but as I mentioned earlier the genre just isn't suited for horror. Diablo 1's gameplay was pretty terrible. I don't blame blizzard for subjugating the art to service the gameplay.

Not suited for horror?

Sure, it's suited for horror, but no developer seems to have any interest in pulling it off.

If you have ever played Sanitarium, it was very effective for being an isometric horror-themed adventure game.

A newer isometric horror game would be Stasis.

Shit, if the team behind Hellgate London would have delivered, we would not be having this conversation right now.

All/Every RPG is fantasy that is one way or another ripped-off from LOTR.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Not suited for horror?

Sure, it's suited for horror, but no developer seems to have any interest in pulling it off.

If you have ever played Sanitarium, it was very effective for being an isometric horror-themed adventure game.

A newer isometric horror game would be Stasis.

Shit, if the team behind Hellgate London would have delivered, we would not be having this conversation right now.

All/Every RPG is fantasy that is one way or another ripped-off from LOTR.

I've played Sanitarium and it was a great game but it wasn't an action RPG where the gameplay revolves around mowing down hordes of monsters. There's just no horror in being a killing machine.

Juggie

Augur
I've played a lot of custom WC3 and SC2 maps. There are many existing maps using assets from other Blizzard games. I don't know the legal details, but I've never seen Blizzard intervening. Granted these maps were never really high profile and not even close to the scope of this thing.

What I'm almost certain of is that this won't get far. There were many projects with similar levels of ambition, but at some point the authors realized it's way too much effort and abandoned it. Most maps that got far started out relatively simple and added features over time.

Another thing are technical limitations. I haven't kept in touch with the map making business for the last 2 years, but based on my previous knowledge I would say creating a map that would feel like proper Diablo 2 remake is not possible in Galaxy (SC2 editor) unless they added a lot of features recently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom