Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Diablo III item drops will encourage trading

Only stat that is waste of points in D2 is Energy, only char that needs some points in it is Sorceress, but some people wouldn't put any points in Energy even for sorcs. Of course with caster types you won't be building up strength for anything more than just equipment, however a choice between vitality and max block rate is nice. Caster druid that has Oak Sage and max block rate is also capable of doing some tanking in some cases.
So I would prefer if they kept stat allocating and maybe even improved it, but I'm also not going to say stupid shit like "Blizzard is dead to me" just because of automatic stat allocation in D3. Diablo is still mostly about skill trees and items for me. If they do that right, I could care less.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shannow said:
Lurkar said:
You people keep saying that. "OH NOOOOOOOOOOO, NO MORE EXPERIMENTATION! NO MORE LEARNING WHAT BUILD IS BEST!"

Except there was no fucking experimentation in the first place. You're complaining that something is missing when that something wasn't even there to begin with.

Like I said - allocatable stats was just one big fucking trap. There weren't multiple awesome ways of making your character, there was one. For all classes. That doesn't make the game awesomely customizable, it means if you don't follow that one, you're fucked.

Yes, obviously Diablo 3 is dumbed down because it no longer has stupid and badly designed traps in the game to fuck over players. HOW DAR THAY. It's like whining that Fallout 2 removed ALL THE FUN of having to pickpocket from your NPC followers. WHAT IN PLANESCAPE TORMENT I CAN CHANGE BETWEEN FIGHTER MAGE AND THIEF AT ANY TIME? DUUUUUUUMBED DOOOOOOOOOWN.
This is the mindset mmos (and diablo2) produce. Awesome, ain't it?
Yeah, and doing away with a feature that could be good and is actually part of any claim diablo ever had to being an RPG (whatever that is worth) instead of simply fixing/improving it sounds really intelligent, too.

Don't care about the restricted weapons, though. Which isn't surprizing since I don't care about
d3-tshirt-rainbows.jpg
either.
I have little to add to my first comment, except that not only is your claim still ridiculously stupid, it is also false as multiple examples have shown you. And using capslock makes you look more stupid than the people you are so futilely trying to deride.

Tuonela said:
It's probably the animation issue, every weapon for every character and every special skill on top of that.

So they could do that in D2, which is sprite-based and every fucking single frame of animation needs to be drawn by hand, and can't do it on 3D models where it's literally as simple as 'move O from X to Y in T'?

I would probably give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt with stupid shit they've been doing(No stat allocation, no LAN, and now this) but all their "reasons" are so ass-backwards it's like reading the LP Fallout 3 thread

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
So they could do that in D2, which is sprite-based and every fucking single frame of animation needs to be drawn by hand, and can't do it on 3D models where it's literally as simple as 'move O from X to Y in T'?
Diablo 2 used pre-rendered sprites i.e. 3D models, didn't it?

Data4

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Diablo 2 used pre-rendered sprites i.e. 3D models, didn't it?

Pre-rendered sprites =/= 3D models.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Data4 said:
So, what exactly did they render to get those sprites? Sure, they might've touched up the results afterwards, but it sure looks to me they were using 3D models as the base at the very least.

Tuonela

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
Tuonela said:
It's probably the animation issue, every weapon for every character and every special skill on top of that.

I would probably give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt with stupid shit they've been doing(No stat allocation, no LAN, and now this) but all their "reasons" are so ass-backwards it's like reading the LP Fallout 3 thread

Well, it still comes down to this - is the extra work worth the time and money it's going to take, obviously they don't seem think it is. Good looking animation doesn't come about with a snap of a finger even in 3D.

racofer

Thread Incliner
pkt-zer0 said:
Data4 said:
So, what exactly did they render to get those sprites? Sure, they might've touched up the results afterwards, but it sure looks to me they were using 3D models as the base at the very least.
:headdesk:

Data4

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
Data4 said:

Do you even know what a sprite is? I know the question is redundant based on your last post, but I just want to see you say it.

Tuonela said:
Well, it still comes down to this - is the extra work worth the time and money it's going to take, obviously they don't seem think it is. Good looking animation doesn't come about with a snap of a finger even in 3D.

Well, Bethesda thinks hiring a competent writer is a waste of time and money too. Look how did that one end up

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Data4 said:
Do you even know what a sprite is? I know the question is redundant based on your last post, but I just want to see you say it.
It's a 2D image. How does that imply that it needs to be hand-drawn, though? Take a 3D model, render it from 8 viewpoints, and there you go, you've got your sprites. Which is what Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc. did, as far as I know.

Tuonela

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
Tuonela said:

Well, Bethesda thinks hiring a competent writer is a waste of time and money too. Look how did that one end up

It's more of a matter of we have this much time before the game needs to be finished, if we want all the weapons for every character we're going to have to either push back the release date or hire more animators.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Okay, so let me explain it to you:

No.
Might as well just post an image macro, if you're not going to bother to make a point.

MetalCraze

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
It's a 2D image. How does that imply that it needs to be hand-drawn, though? Take a 3D model, render it from 8 viewpoints, and there you go, you've got your sprites. Which is what Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc. did.

Yes.

The Idiot

Novice
MetalCraze said:
Game developer from '90s:
"This feature doesn't work perfectly - let's improve it until it does!"
From my experience it usually was "This feature doesn't work perfectly - leave it as it is".

Carceri

Arcane
Jasede said:
Yes, a barbarian who is useless except in boosting other characters - sounds fun - and an amazon who dies faster in hardcore than I can log in.

Must preserve this valuable diversity...

You can't be that dumb, have you even played Diablo 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom