Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo III looks great

Paperclip

Liturgist
It's the first time I'm excited about how a game looks since a long time. The "painting" style turns out so well, but I'm probably biased because I always like contrast.

Just take a look at a bunch of Diablo III beta vids yourself if you haven't. The starting town (particularly the inn and the main gate) shows the contrasting colors nicely.

waywardOne

Arcane
D3 will seamlessly transition into a graphic novel with its towns of contrasting colors.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I actually agree, but it's such a fucking shame there is no real offline singleplayer.

Paperclip

Liturgist
I like how blizz managed to make the graphics so lovable without being sophisticated. I always appreciate this because I never have a good PC.

It's my opinion that texture is probably one of the most important component in a game's visual. Remember Vagrant Story on the PS? Despite being low poly and low res it almost looks pretty because the texture is good.

Raapys

Arcane
Don't think I've ever been less interested in a Blizzard game. Looks utterly bland and boring.

Give me Grim Dawn instead.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Raapys said:
Don't think I've ever been less interested in a Blizzard game. Looks utterly bland and boring.

Give me Grim Dawn instead.

Both Grim Dawn and Path of Exile look good but they don't have the charm of DIII's visual. It boils down to style really.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Diablo 3 does have some great visuals. Character design is pretty bad though.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Zed said:

Yeah I only like the male Witch Doctor, and maybe the Barbarian, as a character. The worst is the your-generic-shadowy-character-with-a-hood Demon Hunter who incidentally was announced last. Blizz must have run out of ideas by then.

canakin

Cipher
waywardOne said:
D3 will seamlessly transition into a graphic novel with its towns of contrasting colors.

And it will be a improvment upon the shitty clickfests that previous games are.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Zed said:

Yes. The characters are terribly uninteresting. The monk is corny as hell. That applies to all the Western implementation and interpretation of East Asian elements. Samurais, kung fu Chinamen, they all end up atrociously cheesy in games.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
canakin said:
waywardOne said:

And it will be a improvment upon the shitty clickfests that previous games are.

I also enjoy Balders Gate and all associated products

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
CrazyLoon said:
That applies to all the Western implementation and interpretation of East Asian elements. Samurais, kung fu Chinamen, they all end up atrociously cheesy in games.

I think Legend of the Five Rings has excellent asian imagery.

Thank fuck they haven't made a game out of it.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Diablo 3 does look great, and of course, Codex will bitch for 6 months straight about how it isn't "TRU" or "L33t" enough, before getting over it and moving to the next whine. A year later it will pop up on the Codex list of greats, "Best RPGee's of ALL Time!!1!" after everybody's forgotten their nerd rage, and gotten over the fact a good game could be released in 2012.

As far as graphics, they look great, though I won't underestimate Diablo 1 for atmosphere, limited line of sight of great for horror based Christian clickfests. Diablo 2 sorta ruined things for me by introducing too much divergent mythology, a reduced atmosphere, and breaking the tension by watering down the focus away from Christian mythology into Egypo-crypto-bullshyte and so forth. I really didn't even like skilltrees, I liked the tome system, though they did need a way to make sure warriors didn't get spells and so forth, but tying skills into exploration was a great idea, and I always looked forward to bumping up a spell one more notch by finding one of those heroin-injection nerd tomes that gave me the right burst of endorphins to keep playing.

Secondly, Grim Dawn looks ok, but I'm not going to brag about the graphics, it will probably require higher PC specs (not admirable), and still appears too "Grim" and "washed out" for my tastes. I do not like conventional graphics, and even though World of Warcrap turned me off with cartoony, I'd rather have something that innovated like Silent Hill than another goddamned conventional "MOAR REALISTIC" game with higher texture resolution to compensate for lack of creative effort and originality, BUMP!

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Paperclip said:
Zed said:

Yeah I only like the male Witch Doctor, and maybe the Barbarian, as a character. The worst is the your-generic-shadowy-character-with-a-hood Demon Hunter who incidentally was announced last. Blizz must have run out of ideas by then.

I'll be playing a female Demon Hunter, and I don't give a DAMN!!! None of the other classes appealed to me at all, much less the implementation of the monk, which could have been more interesting.

Still, I pray for a game with a kensai/swordmaster/samurai class down the road, or perhaps one during an expansion, something with a little brainpower involved and east-asian martial arts finesse that doesn't seem contrived.

Seeing as this is Blizzard, generally we get good gameplay at the cost of originality, most of their ideas are a contrived RPG player's wet dream, so I don't suspect they'll have an amazingly creative take on kensai/samurai classes anyway, but my dream would be to see something along the lines of Avendar, where they can assume forms based on animals, basically like stances, except they require mana or fatigue per attack to maintain, and when they run out, you can't fight anymore or run away, or you just back off into normal stance and lose whatever "gifts" each stance gave your fighting, which could be anything from increased parrying to counterstrikes on every enemy blow, to fiery attacks and whirlwinds with each swing of your katana.

I hope monks get some skill that increases their run speed, or lets them walk on water or ice effectively, though this is just a crackpipe dream....

Tomes should still make a return. Increase a skill of your choice by one.

I can't recommend any of this to Blizzard because I don't remember my login ID for battle.net, and I refuse to install anything on the basis that I don't feel like doing it just to recommend some stupid idea to Blizzard on the tail-end of their announcement. So fuck them. Basically!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom