Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples 2 Gold

Ladonna

Arcane
Just wondering if Disciples 2 gold is any good? I haven't played any of these games yet, so if you have played them, let me know what the good, the bad and the ugly is.
http://www.manifestogames.com/disciplesiigold

Micmu

Magister
Well, it's a TBS-superlite with some elements from RPGs. You control small groups with up to 5 individual units + hero.
You develop towns, upgrade units (multiple tiers), trade with other players/AI, research spells (shallower than in AoW).
Maps are scripted and the AI is usually dumb as fuck.
Has a world map system where your territory automatically expands around your towns and rods that you can place in ground near mines/mana crystals. Spells are cast on a map.
Combat is extremely simplistic, there are basically no tactical possibilities during fight and it's a mindless routine (each unit has only one type of attack).

Besides the 4 original campaigns (Dark Prophecies) there are many expansions (in Gold). Doubtfully you'll be able to endure them all. In fact, you might very well get bored after 3 or 4 campaigns.

Still, it might be a fun game to play for a while. At least it was for me. :P

Btw. Disciples 3 is currently in development. They *say* it'll improve on 2, like more diverse artifacts and better combat.

AZ

Liturgist
The dark theme is nice, I like Lords of Magic SE better.

AZ

Liturgist
But Dominions 1 or 3 is a must, if you haven't tried it already.

LCJr.

Erudite
I don't think I'd bother paying for it. For me it quickly became boring. You'd do just as well downloading an abandonware version of one of hte earlier HOMM's.

If you really think you're interested try and find the old Strategy First Fantasy 6 pack. You'll get D2 minus the elves. Plus it has Prince of Qin which is the sole reason I bought it.

Ladonna

Arcane
If you really think you're interested try and find the old Strategy First Fantasy 6 pack. You'll get D2 minus the elves. Plus it has Prince of Qin which is the sole reason I bought it.

Already tried that route. Nothing doing. Its apparently out of stock.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this one can stay where it is.

psycojester

Arbiter
Pretty Graphics, awful game.... now where have we heard that before.

I lasted until the end of the first human campaign. After that i started to question why i needed to repeat the exact same level from squire shite each time around. My hero is tougher than god wtf doesn't he bring some mates along?

cutterjohn

Cipher
Well, as sort of a bump, and so as not to start a brand new topic, I sprung for Disciples II Gold last night after doing some looking around.

My first inclination was to buy the ultimate edition off of totalgaming, however I was having difficulties with their little control program under wine, and just decided to reboot into windows for the moment and go with Steam. (I know the game works under wine, so the idea here is to take Steam which also works under and hope that the combo also works under wine). Same price, same content, apparently, even with the differing names as far as I could tell from the "feature" lists.

The game, pretty simple, resource capture on a particular map, gold for buying units and upgrades, and 4 types of mana spent researching and/or casting various spells. The maps are fairly small, and come with a fair range of objectives from capturing territory to wiping out the other side(s).

Armies: consists of a leader type(ranged, melee, mage, thief, and archangel) plus a combination of "lesser" units from the same gamut. Each unit and leader gets xp from battles and has levels. Basic units upgrade(melee, mage, and cleric have two options int he upgrade paths) generally leading to better things. the leader type just levels up, and has a small selection of skills available at level up allowing for expansion of party size(usually 4 at level 1, except for the archangel which is 2 (total #s)). Skills mostly allow usage of various items found in the game, e.g. artifacts, scrolls, staves, etc. which give the leader and/or party various bonuses. Leaders can be exported from games, and keep whatever equipment that they have equipped at export time and then can be imported into other "quests" and the saga, I think. Base units just go away at the end of a scenario, meaning starting from scratch or whatever you are given in the next one.

Archangels can plant rods, which change the terrain around the rod, which means capturing mines and/or mana crystal locations(resources). They are "controlled" (captured) by changing the terrain around them. The archangel can also remove enemy rods.

Thieves, a leader type, get to do a variety of things, like plant spies(let you see unit and city occupation force composition of enemy units/cities, inspect ruins, poison enemy cities/combat groups, etc. lots of nifty little things).

Combat: When you make your combat groups(parties?) the right column is the front most and is where you would want your melee characters, with the back row being relegated to mages, cleric, and other ranged/utility as usual. Once in combat there is NO position change, and most "characters" only have one option: some kind of attack or a heal. Other than that units can defend(reduce damage and hit chance) or retreat(entire party). Combat is pretty simplistic.

Terrain: Grows from cities, and rods. Grows fastes from capitol city(which gets an uber guardian that cannot leave the capitol city). Also grows faster with more and larger cities.

Building: A variety of buildings can be bought for the capital allowing various things, e.g. mage tow for spell research, temple to allow units to be healed in any city, etc. Regular cities can be increased in size, which mostly means a larger garrison capacity, but also contributes to terrain type expansion if I understand that part correctly.

Comes with a scenario editor so that you can make your own quests, along with an option to have it randomly general maps for you.

Overall a very simple game, yet it has already given me several hours of entertainment and is TURN BASED!

Surprising with this Steam version, the PDF manuals are still in the game's directory, although this is another one where I wish that I had a paper manual. It's definitely worth $20, but if D3 is anything like D2 it's better be a $30 game at release as I'd've been pissed paying $40 or $50 for D2 when it was released. (Probably why I skipped it way back when...)

(I got it because I was looking for a replacement that I could hopefully run under wine on linux, for Age of Wonders. I realized why I dumped it so fast the first time, fantastically incredibly shitty AI coupled with incredibly dull play, horrible execution, and general pokiness. Along with their assinine mechanics system, e.g. only attack can retreat, hex stacking, no random maps, etc. Makes me wonder if AoW2 and/or the addon were any better. Passed up GalCivII after reading the 3some comparison/contrast here, and SEV as it sounds to be a work in progress. Looked at Dominions 3, looked at price, looked at desc + features + teh grafix + reviews + forum, looked goggle eyed at price, ROFLMAO and went and got D2. I also looked at Spacerangers 2, and did a brief search for the original Spellforce 1 which I'd likely have gotten instead if I could've found an online purveyor of it. Oh also for the hell of it looked at Harpoon 3's price, ROFLMAO that's more than I paid for any of my originals AND the updated OSX version before whoever has it now got their greeedy little fingers onto it.)

Fez

Erudite
AoW2 and the addon were better than the original. You might like it. I'd suggest trying the demo first.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Fez said:
AoW2 and the addon were better than the original. You might like it. I'd suggest trying the demo first.
Yeah, I'm going to download a demo and try to get it running under wine or cedega plus linux when I boot back again(probably tomorrow). If I can get it runnin gunder linux somehow, I'll go find a copy to buy. It'll be too bad if they were decent and I skipped them in the past because of their craptacular first effort.

Still having an inordinate amount of fun with such a simplistic casual strategy game that D2 is though... surprisingly. Although, I can see a time in the not too distant future where the novelty is going to wear off, and the story not be interesting enough to bother continuing. If only they had mad a regular strategy game to go along with the hero/special unit battles, and a little more resource/building complexities in which case I'd probably play for years. (Just like the microcomputer versions of Empire, e.g. Strategic Conquest, or various roguelikes in a more RPGish vein...)

One good thing that I can say about D3 is that they provide linux(ppc/x86/x64), OSX, and windoze builds, plus it's a more or less recent(or recently updated) game v. H3 which is just... well, let's just say that it leaves me completely speechless. (AWESOME game, but not at that price, $30 I'd say think about it, $20 or less, I'd say no brainer buy NOW!)

Fez

Erudite
AoW2 has very different combat from D2, though. I don't know if you'll like the style of it. It's a TB affair more like Westnoth than the FF type battles in D2. I like it and found it good on multiplayer too. I prefer it to the HOMM games. At least with the demo you'll know for certain if it is for you or now without getting stung for the cash.

Dominions 2 and 3 are pretty good too. If you are reluctant to pay for a game with shitty looking graphics then you could try the demo of that too. I really liked them. Very different to either D2 or AoW2.

Krafter

Scholar
Ladonna said:
Just wondering if Disciples 2 gold is any good?
Screw the haters, Disciples 2 and the expansions are fabulous games. If you like turn-based stuff, and I suspect you do, you should get these games, doublequick.

It's already been brought up by LCJr, but the Strategy First 6 pack is a great buy. I see it from time to time at Target or Wall-Mart, so keep an eye out if you are ever there.

It is a relatively smple game, you will not confuse Disciples with Jagged Alliance, but it's great stuff and addicting to play. I would go as far as to say what Diablo is to RPGs, Disciples II is to turn-based strategies.

As an added bonus, everything is in 2D and hand-drawn beautifully, and looks a million percent better than this modern 3D crapola.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's okay. Not bad, but also not overly good IMHO.
It's a bit like Heroes of M&M with a bit different mechanics, and a lot less units. It got quite some tactics involved, too, and it's turn-based and quite fun. Didn't keep me for long, but it was fun while it lasted.

If you like turnbased strategy in the style of HoMM, then get this. If not, leave it be. Maybe there's a demo around to let you try out.

Romitch

Novice
So how would you guys rate D2 with the AOW, HOMM, etc series? I've only played demos of these games back when they came out, but I'm considering picking up one of them (D2 is pretty cheap on steam).

Which game has the best gameplay? atmosphere? story, etc.

psycojester

Arbiter
I rate D2 as boring shite, i just don't see what anybody found so great about it, its the 16 year old goth girl of the TBS world, the graphics look sexy with the whole dark and gritty thing, but its about as deep as a wading pool.

Yes its turn based but that doesn't earn it points when the combat is even more simplistic than Final Fantasy and your units are static.

psycojester

Arbiter
Haven't really spent that much time with them to be honest but i've always been a fan of HoMM3, i think i might try AoW2 if my work load isn't to heavy this semester

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Romitch said:
So how would you guys rate D2 with the AOW, HOMM, etc series? I've only played demos of these games back when they came out, but I'm considering picking up one of them (D2 is pretty cheap on steam).

Which game has the best gameplay? atmosphere? story, etc.

Heroes of Might and Magic III, and expansions. :D :D :D No other game has stolen more hours from me. Or given me more hours, depending on your point of view. :) The sequels IV and V only proves how near gaming perfection HoMM III is. HoMM V also proves that 3D graphics don't add anything worthwhile to the formula.

Age of Wonders 2 and expansion is rather good.

Desciples 2 gets boring very fast.

psycojester

Arbiter
And HoMM IV proves that it is entirely possible to fuck up an unfuckupable idea

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
psycojester said:
And HoMM IV proves that it is entirely possible to fuck up an unfuckupable idea

I don't know why, but I had fun with it.

Still, it was by far the weakest part of the series. Good stuff was removed and shit stuff added. Still was fun, but far inferior to the previous titles and also to the new one.
The Might and Magic RPG they released back then [M&M9] was far more screwed up. There was nothing more fucked than M&M9. It was shit on a disk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom