Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity 2 - alleged September release and interview

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

Besides shedding some light on what shapeshifting into a dragon means gameplay-wise in Divinity 2, <a href="http://www.ign.com">IGN</a> finished off <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/991/991372p1.html">this short E3 preview</a> with the following line:
<br>
<blockquote>Divinity 2 is due out in September for PC and Xbox 360.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Then there's <a href="http://www.divinity2.com/meetthemakers.php">this short</a> Q&A on the official Divinity 2 site with the Lead Artist and the Lead Writer of Divinity 2...
<br>
<blockquote>What do you feel makes a great fantasy world?
<br>
Jan: From a story and writing point of view I’d say a great fantasy world is a harmonious one. By that I mean it is not merely an amalgam of loosely connected elements that may be enough to provide a fun, but fundamentally shallow game world. Rivellon is a place with a rich history and even though the player may not actually know that history, it is omnipresent, right beneath the surface and ready to be discovered should you wish to do so. There is nothing sterile about Rivellon and its inhabitants: everything and everybody has its own background, idiosyncrasies, beauties and flaws. I’m not just talking about the texts and characters either: the way the game looks, the architecture of towers and temples, the very way all locations have been decorated: it all adds to the atmosphere and history of Rivellon.
<br>
<br>
Koen: I tried to use these backgrounds as much as possible when creating the looks of certain factions. For instance, the looks of the Aleroth champions were designed with the ancient Romans in mind. Autocratic in nature, this trait is reflected in their architecture: huge and monumental. A proud people, their armours are intrinsically decorated with gold and silver.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
...and their <a href="http://www.divinity2.com/creatures.php">creature section</a> got updated with two new creatures, the inevitable skeleton and the necromancer Ygerna.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch">RPG Watch</a>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really really really wanted to be excited about this title.... in that I loved DD. I just fear it's going to turn into a 3d shitfest, in the same way The Longest Journey was turned into a 3d shitfest with Dreamfall.

mathboy

Liturgist
The Dragon Elfs look like Deathclaws, so I guess I won't be able to play this game.

Durwyn

Prophet
I think it will be pretty much the same as DD1 + bloomy 3d gfx. Action RPG with twitchy combat and big interesting world to explore. Only thing that bothers me is that dragon shapeshifting ability. I can't stop thinking that this feature is targeted purely to console kiddies. Wow, liek look, I can become a dragon! How cool is that?

Durwyn

Prophet
bhlaab said:
Wasn't DD1 an awful diablo clone?

Nope, it was an ActionRPG with oldschool feel and beautiful 2d graphics. It had pretty good story, interesting quests, good dialogues with fine dose of humour and big world to explore. Unfortunately it also had diablo-like shitty combat with health/mana potion spamming. Really underrated great game, unpolished gem.

Edit: And I forgot to mention great music.

Xi

Arcane
Really, really, really.......REALLY, really, really....Really hoping this doesn't turn into an Oblivion disaster. I'm hopeful for the game, of course, but it's just difficult to not feel slightly alarmed by all the next gen design. That said, if they can return to what made DD such a good game, which I'm hoping they will, it should be a very enjoyable game.

Definitely going to get this one!

circ

Arcane
This is a sequel to Divine Divinity? That opening village almost looked like Hommlet from TOEE. Shapeshifting into a dragon seems cool, although the fireball spam was a little overdone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom