Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity 2 - Worth going on?

Texas Red

Whiner
The starting village in the Broken Valley was nice, with lots of NPCs to talk to and quests. I'm now supposed to get to that tower and I'm wondering what the hell happened to the game. Everywhere you go there's hordes of either skeletons, goblins or bandits and nothing much else. The combat is horrible.

Is this another RPG where the occasional good parts are drowned in dungeon crawling, so that getting to these parts feels like work?

Should I continue with the expansion without playing the original campaign? I heard it was better.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
whiner.gif

orao

Novice
Keep playing, the combat gets easier.
It's very easy as it is if you build your character right, I just cast fireballs everywhere and instakilled everyone.
Grind a couple of levels if it's that hard, but it's definitely worth it to keep playing.
Great game.
Loved the
spoil
spoil
spoil
spoil
spoil

dragon terror patrol ala power rangers

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THE GAME GETS DROWNED IN SHIT COMBAT WAY LATE GAME BUT IT IS A FUN RIDE AND WORTH IT EARLY GAME THERE IS LOTS OF NORMAL RPG SHIT

Murk

Arcane
Expansion is awesome, late game's alright, running around as a dragon is surprisingly fun, floating fortresses can get dull but you can skip most of the combat so whatevs

Angthoron

Arcane
orao said:
dragon terror patrol ala power rangers

I was so stunned at this that I just let them kill me while I was busy collecting my jaw from the floor. A truly epic moment. Borderline, as with all the "pop reference" moments in games, but done well enough to offset the negativity of it.

The humour's pretty good in general, the seductive chest and one of the Floating Fortress guard taunt talks were great. "Why not pick something more manly?" - "Where's the fun in that?", heh.

The combat does start getting on the nerves later on, but you can technically just rush through that stuff as it was said, unless you're OCD on finding every piece of armor.

orao

Novice
The melee combat is extremely basic and unfun, it wasn't designed with melee combat in mind. Might make for a naked mage challenge or something.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oddly enough, I found melee combat to be rather fun - at least in those cases where you are actually able to force the enemy to be on the melee terms. It is rather basic for the most part, but there are actually a couple of skills that make a melee fighter pretty deadly, and abusing them makes a melee fighter very much a viable build to play.

These skills, then, are:

1. Charge
2. Whirlwind
3. Jump Attack

The first one serves to close the gap between the PC and the goddamned range spamming bandits/goblins/Blackies, the second is used for AoE and a possible disruption/immobilizing, and the third one is simply so enormously overpowered that once you learn that jump attack means 1K damage per strike you'll do nothing else but jump attack.

Obviously, these have to be pretty deep to actually matter - Jump Attack is only mildly strong until you've passed the point of 5 - and then starts growing with what becomes an unreasonable rate. By the time you hit cap on it, it'll have some sick modifiers - and that's to keep in mind that Jump also lets you avoid a bunch of attacks as well.

I do admit that I've no idea how good or bad magic is in DKS, it could be that it makes the whole experience a walk in the park, or a barrel of balloons and buttered midgets, but I certainly had a fair amount of fun with my melee character, and even some challenge, as the damage that goes to the character is for a while going to be a bit of a near-death experience until you gear up and bump up the Strength for regen.

Dantus12

Educated
The classes are not really" set in stone".
You can survive everything with a good weapon+ magic missile and fireball.

Activate all teleports .

A way to get to the tower:

There is a way to get directly in front of the tower via the underground passages, without facing the bandits and goblins. Also on your way to the tower you will get the Dragon Knight boast. After that avoiding enemies with jumps and combos becomes very easy.

The game is great , and the expansion is even better.
It`s more alive with lots of interesting quests.

Kraszu

Prophet
denizsi said:
Street Fighter is more fun with better combat and without the grind and the drag.

I despise combos in fighting games, how is pressing some configuration of buttons fast a good gameplay mechanics? It is the most tedious part of any combat system that I had played with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom